Charlotteans and/or North Carolinians?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in chapel hill/the triangle for 5 years and have lived in charlotte for 5 years.  In Charlotte, I have noticed much more association with South Carolina.  I quickly stopped referring to my alma mater as 'carolina' because many people just assumed South Carolina.

I remember watching college sports with two co-workers at my job who work in another department, one of whom is a native South Carolinian who now resides in Charlotte; we attended the same university. I asked the other, who is originally from Florida but has been in NC for some time, which school did he graduate from, and he said "State." So naturally I thought he meant South Carolina State, but he's actually a Wolfpack alumnus. The girl I went to school with said she thought the same thing.

I think that is actually very good for the city of charlotte overall, as it means there are many reps from NC and SC around here, truly making it a true capital of the carolinas.
Very true. Many places I go in Charlotte will have representation of both states, the flags of both states flying on their grounds, etc.

I think the people who lived their lives in SC (and many still live in SC in the charlotte metro) consider themselves south carolinians, even if they live in charlotte.  Obviously with the city being in NC, more people identify with as north carolinians.  But, Charlotteans often see themselves as different or special in comparison with other north carolinians.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True again. If I did reside in Charlotte, I would simply consider myself a "South Carolinian Charlottean." However, if I resided in, say, Greensboro or Raleigh, I would probably feel a little more North Carolinian (although you can take the boy out of South Carolina, but you can't take South Carolina out of the boy.... :D ).

It doesn't matter what state you're in, if you say State, people are going to think whatever state college there is there. NC State, SC State, Florida State, Michigan State, etc. etc. etc. Same thing goes for Carolina. Most anyone around here thinks NC but when you cross the line its SC.

As for the comment that we have a lot in common with SC, I don't know about others but growing up here, we (most people I know that are from here) learned to dislike SC. Almost like a "racial stereotype" that they were inferior. I guess its just that state rivalry, kinda like how Dookies hate Carolina and vice versa.

It doesn't matter what state you're in, if you say State, people are going to think whatever state college there is there. NC State, SC State, Florida State, Michigan State, etc. etc. etc. 

Right, and I realize this, but I just wanted to piggyback off what Dubone was saying about "Carolina." If I were in Ohio and someone told me he attended "State," I would be thinking in terms of Ohio State. But due to the presence of a significant amount of native South Carolinians in Charlotte, when one says "State," even though a native South Carolinian Charlottean is now a resident of North Carolina, it is very possible he would still be inclined to think of South Carolina State as opposed to North Carolina State. In other words, there is a significant regional Carolina influence in Charlotte.

As for the comment that we have a lot in common with SC, I don't know about others but growing up here, we (most people I know that are from here) learned to dislike SC. Almost like a "racial stereotype" that they were inferior.  I guess its just that state rivalry, kinda like how Dookies hate Carolina and vice versa.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you say "most people from here," are you referring to Charlotte specifically or North Carolina in general? Most of the native metro Charlotteans I know don't really come across like that to me. I would think that other places in NC, especially those not close to the Carolina border, could care less about a rivalry between the two states (politicians aside). As a matter of fact, growing up in my part of SC (Orangeburg County, two counties south of Columbia) I had closer ties to Georgia than to NC, so NC was nothing more to me than "the state we share Carowinds with." :)

Archived