Hayden Burns RFP

jacksonvillian

I heard today that a local developer (not any of the previously mentioned groups) will be submitting a response to the RFP this week.

From what I hear, it calls for the demo of the old library and a re-development of the site as mixed-use. Condo tower (10 to 12 stories), retail, restaraunt and movie theater! Sounds great to me.

Does anyone else have any scoop on this?

:D

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard anything about this proposal, but it sounds very interesting, especially if it includes a movie theater.  When is the final date for RFP submittals?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This week is what I heard... as far as this one goes, I hope the City will give it a fair shake. A mixed use development like this would be great for downtown. From what I understand, the movie theater and restaraunt are joined together as one big venue and the retail is something like a borders or barnes and noble with starbucks etc.

^ Im so all for demolishing that ugly library if it means replacing it with a movie/ residential/ retail mixed use!! Let it go..seriously, this building is not really worth fighting to preserve..let it go!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok, trade ya>>> let go of the Haydon Burns for getting rid of the Laura Street Trio!??? i mean come on, that's a great spot for a hotel or something>> we can sell all that marble on the bank, the towers are all but crumbling>>>

any takers????

ok, trade ya>>>  let go of the Haydon Burns for getting rid of the Laura Street Trio!???  i mean come on, that's a great spot for a hotel or something>>  we can sell all that marble on the bank, the towers are all but crumbling>>> 

any takers????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok crazy cuban, let go of em both. I agree that with all the time, effort, and money put into the Laura street Trio, it still isnt worth saving..Let it Go!! And who would want to live in these buildings after all the publicity about how bad of shape theyre in? If someone chooses to live there, who's gonna invest in it or choose to pay such a high price for a condo there when they could just purcahse new property in the shipyards, berkman, riverpointe, etc.?? Let it Go!!! Lets get a hotel in theirplace, which is something we definately need too. Some people drive me crazy with all this preservation crap. I feel if you want to preserve the buildings you shouldnt wait til theyre in such a horrible shape to do so, act early next time or take better care of the buildings while theyre in good shape!!! :whistling:

Ok crazy cuban, let go of em both. I agree that with all the time, effort, and money put into the Laura street Trio, it still isnt worth saving..Let it Go!! And who would want to live in these buildings after all the publicity about how bad of shape theyre in? If someone chooses to live there, who's gonna invest in it or choose to pay such a high price for a condo there when they could just purcahse new property in the shipyards, berkman, riverpointe, etc.?? Let it Go!!! Lets get a hotel in theirplace, which is something we definately need too. Some people drive me crazy with all this preservation crap. I feel if you want to preserve the buildings you shouldnt wait til theyre in such a horrible shape to do so, act early next time or take better care of the buildings while theyre in good shape!!!  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DEAL!! let's get to it>>> itchy trigger finger!!

I feel if you want to preserve the buildings you shouldnt wait til theyre in such a horrible shape to do so, act early next time or take better care of the buildings while theyre in good shape!!!  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. But do you realize that the city has owned these buildings since the most severe damage occurred. That is absolutely inexcusable.

If the city has to pay millions more because of it's own neglect, so be it. Take the money out of the paychecks of those most responsible, starting with the Mayor.

The existing condition of the buildings will have no impact on the marketablity of the units once they are renovated. Look at the Carlington, or the Klutho Building in Springfield. They look great despite having been severely neglected.

The Klutho building had a serious fire and was fully exposed to the elements for years. To look at it, you wouldn't know it now.

BTW, have you ever taken a look inside the Marble Bank building? It could be a real showplace for a restaurant or other business. These buildings should be saved at all cost IMO. Laura Street is the nicest street in all of Downtown Jax and is a wonderful blend of numerous styles of architecture, both new and old. Taking out the Marble Trio would greatly lessen it's appearance.

As for a hotel, what do you call the Hyatt /Adam's Mark? It's on the river and it's "Modern". They have an occupancy problem though, maybe because it looks like every other "Modern" hotel in the country, bland and boring.

And don't forget the soon to be built "Fidelity-campus Inn". Woo-hoo!! Can't wait to see that wonder of architectural design go up.

as for the hotels... the Hyatt is one of the but ugliest builsings i have ever seen! when i say hotel, i think it would be something like a "boutique hotel".. although the chances of that happening are extremely slim... but it would be nice to have a hotel in Jacksonville with a lounge, in the vain of a W hotel... something that the more than the guests would use. as for the trio>>> the marble bank building is a great space... so is the snyder memorial and in way better shape. of the three, it is the one in best shape>>> so compromise, get rid of one and try to save the other two>>> and the city isn't the only one allowing the buildings to rot, there are many buildings downtown rotting away owned by private entities.

I attended a marketing meeting today for a local company and I can confirm... another proposal is being presented to JEDC. Twelve stories of mid-rise condos, retail, restaruant, movie theater and some kind of outdoor open-air plaza on roof and street level areas. Oh, and a parking garage underground.

As far as the theater goes though, the best I can tell is a very large single screen theater that kinda has a classic movie palace theme. Something similar to the San Marco theater but much larger... 600 seats or so connected to the restaruant/club.

Press release coming soon.

:thumbsup:

as for the hotels... the Hyatt is one of the but ugliest builsings i have ever seen!  when i say hotel, i think it would be something like a "boutique hotel".. although the chances of that happening are extremely slim...  but it would be nice to have a hotel in Jacksonville with a lounge, in the vain of a W hotel...  something that the more than the guests would use.  as for the trio>>>  the marble bank building is a great space... so is the snyder memorial and in way better shape.  of the three, it is the one in best shape>>>  so compromise, get rid of one and try to save the other two>>>  and the city isn't the only one allowing the buildings to rot, there are many buildings downtown rotting away owned by private entities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The hotels on the southbank are not much better!! I've always thought the bank would make such an amazing restaurant - with the second level that rings around. Call it "The Bank". or dare i say it... a nightclub... along the lines of the old Limelight in NY. Imagine that thing at night with the skylight... would be a great scene for downtown.

Just my thoughts-

Jacksonvillian: That proposal beats the hell out of the chocolate factory. The bottom line is, besides the fact that the library is an eyesore, we need to inject activity into that area and this might do it. Also, if Barnes and Noble and a movie theater opened downtown, I think I would never leave downtown/Riverside ever again.

Archived