How do we perceive North Carolinians?

The_sandlapper

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always had a favorable opinion of things NC, but I think the people are quick to be arrogant- particularly when it comes to SC or GA. There are, of course, exceptions to that rule.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say the same, but since the majority of my interactions with North Carolinians are Charlotteans, that just may be true of some of them. The great majority of Charlotteans that I work with don't really seem to have a superiority complex. Culturally, I think the only difference is in the word that comes before "Carolina." But I know of one guy who likes to say that SC is a "different" kind of rural (in a negative way)--and he's from Shelby but likes to claim Charlotte. Go figure. LOL.

My SC granddad who was born in the late 1800s told me once when I was a kid.. 

"Boy.  Those folks in NC are pretty good people, but those poor suckers don't know anything about building a decent road"  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was it REALLY that bad prior to when the state (meaning NCDOT) took over the secondary county roads in 1931?

I would say the same, but since the majority of my interactions with North Carolinians are Charlotteans, that just may be true of some of them. The great majority of Charlotteans that I work with don't really seem to have a superiority complex. Culturally, I think the only difference is in the word that comes before "Carolina." But I know of one guy who likes to say that SC is a "different" kind of rural (in a negative way)--and he's from Shelby but likes to claim Charlotte. Go figure. LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is very true. What is funny is that Shelby is no different than Gaffney (other than it is slightly larger.

Iv'e always found it ironic how some NC'linians consider themselves to live in the most progressive SE'tern state, but then sneer and bash other southeastern states, and cities? That has been one of the biggest perceptions of NC that I have gotten.

I have a friend that is from the Triangle area so whenever I speak of Carolina I speak of USC in Columbia, she says, "don't say that Carolina is only UNC". I laughed at her and then dilebrately kept referring to USC as Carolina. I was like well you know we kinda have the name Carolina too, and we've kinda always called it that.

For what its worth on this subject... I am from the western part of the country, but my in-laws live in the Pinehurst, NC golf community and I've been to NC and SC several times in the past few years to visit and vacation. Maybe its the time I've spent in the Charleston area, but it is in MY LIMITED experience that SC might be slightly more advanced culturally and has a slightly better overall reputation. This is coming from someone without a ton Carolina (or southern) experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend that is from the Triangle area so whenever I speak of Carolina I speak of USC in Columbia, she says, "don't say that Carolina is only UNC". I laughed at her and then dilebrately kept referring to USC as Carolina. I was like well you know we kinda have the name Carolina too, and we've kinda always called it that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was an article in today's Charlotte Observer proposing a "Carolina" vs. "Carolina" football match every year in Charlotte's BofA Stadium. I think it would be a great concept and of course would be thrilled to see all of the Heels and Gamecocks fans it would pour into Uptown. It could turn into a really fun "Carolina" weekend and would be easily accessible from both states.

Every since I was little I have always thought that USC's biggest rival should have been UNC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, its amazing how little rivalary there is between the schools of both states. The biggest rivalary that I have seen is the yearly Shriners football game of high school students from both states where they decide which state President Andrew Jackson was born in. (the winning side gets to claim him for that year).

• 4 months later...

"beat in culture" - that is ridicolous. GreekFreak you need to explain what you mean by 'culture', which is a very relative term that describes a variety of things.

As for diversity, with Charlotte & Raleigh - you may have a case. But cultural definitions are not exclusive to race. Historically Greenville has been a majority white town, just as most Foothill towns are in NC (Asheville, Hickory).

As for Columbia & Charleston, these towns have been long in a area that has historically had a large Black population, as well as Whites.

When i was is High School (1998-2002), there were several " border belt " football games between the two best high schools in the carolinas however i do not know if this still goes on now. It was Marlboro County(Bennettsville) versus Richmond County(Rockingham). When Richmond Sr or any HS from Florence would play my HS (Pinecrest High School), we would always get shut out!

Actually NC has SC beat in culture.....especially in the Charlotte area.....SC is funny in a sense that the more you go towards the coast the more culture there is....Greenville being the "most caucasian" and then columbia with the exception of alot of people who attend USC and people who are at Fort Jackson(because most of them are from out of town).....and then Charleston which has alot more diversity....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's interesting...if there's one complaint I hear about Charlotte often, it is about a LACK of culture. At any rate, you can't compare culture in the two states simply based on your experiences in Sumter and Columbia in SC and Charlotte in NC.

Actually NC has SC beat in culture.....especially in the Charlotte area.....SC is funny in a sense that the more you go towards the coast the more culture there is....Greenville being the "most caucasian" and then columbia with the exception of alot of people who attend USC and people who are at Fort Jackson(because most of them are from out of town).....and then Charleston which has alot more diversity....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is sheer ignorance to make statements like that without data to back it up. Culture is not something that is easily defined anyway. It sounds like you mean racial diversity, which may be true though I can't sy for certiain. However, would you accuse the British of a lack of culture just becuase they are mostly white? I think not. You need to get a better grasp of what culture is before you accuse a place of not having it.

It is sheer ignorance to make statements like that without data to back it up. Culture is not something that is easily defined anyway. It sounds like you mean racial diversity, which may be true though I can't sy for certiain. However, would you accuse the British of a lack of culture just becuase they are mostly white? I think not. You need to get a better grasp of what culture is before you accuse a place of not having it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree I thought culture is someting that is learned for a long time and has traditional and historical values in them. Also mixing diverstiy in the equation. I can't speak on SC culture that much because of the lack of visits there. I can say the places I have visted were rural but I guess the people there have there own culture. So this word culture is a little subjective. Whos culture or what kind are you are referring to. Anyway, anyone remember the Pepsi Carolina Classic played in Charlotte and it did fearture USC and UNC. It would be cool to have a true rivalry I guess between the states. I know Clemson and NC state are rivals I think they call it the textile bowl each time they meet. As for perceptions go I really believe it is not the old school Carolinians bashing and boasting so much. NC has fought tooth and nail to get what it has now and only the people who have lived here long enough to remember the snide remarks and all of the ignorance that was directed at NC know that what goes around comes around. However UNC was the first charted state university in the country....but its cool trust me there is room in this country for 2 Carolinas :)

Archived