How do we perceive North Carolinians?

The_sandlapper

I agree I thought culture is someting that is learned for a long time and has  traditional and historical values in them. Also mixing diverstiy in the equation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Based on that definition SC has more 'culture' than NC. UNC may be the first college, but SC's colleges were not far behind (USC - 1801) and the College of Charleston was about 5 years ahead of UNC (1770) even though it was not public... And lets not forget which Carolina was settled first :)

My intent is not to create a pissibg match, but to emphasize that just because NC has more people and larger cities does not mean that it somehow magically has more "culture." I also get tired of hearing people speak down about SC with no knowledge of it. (Not that you did, of course :) )

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on that definition SC has more 'culture' than NC. UNC may be the first college, but SC's colleges were not far behind (USC - 1801) and the College of Charleston was about 5 years ahead of UNC (1770) even though it was not public... And lets not forget which Carolina was settled first :)

My intent is not to create a pissibg match, but to emphasize that just because NC has more people and larger cities does not mean that it somehow magically has more "culture." I also get tired of hearing people speak down about SC with no knowledge of it. (Not that you did, of course :) )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well spartan gotta dispute that. NC was settled by Virginians after the 2 failed attempts on the outer banks way back in the late 1500s and early 1600s. Virginia Dare was the first person born of english decent in the colonies. Our coastal towns are really quite old but were not incorporated for some time. However because of shallow water, pirates, and hostile indians NC did not develop the way VA or SC did. I did read where there was an english- indian war in eastern NC that the settlers had to send for help from SC and VA because there was not enough people and not a lot of wealth. I will never take SC cultrure and place in history and speak down about. I know that SC (Charleston) was the capitol of the south pretty much in colonial times and I hope it holds on to that history. You think SC gets overlooked well NC is still fighting that same battle my friend. But hey NcSc is my name and I think both of the states have some of the brightest futures in the south. We can't let GA and FL divide us.....

I was referring "diversity" of culture meaning races/ethnic backgrounds....not anything else....sorry......and i dont think i need facts for that....drive down Central Avenue in Charlotte and South Blvd. and look left and right and you will have proof (asian and latino supermarkets, bakeries, restuarants...) and the Greek population in Charlotte is around 12,000.....sure the other cities are smaller than charlotte but columbia will never have alot of immigration except for maybe legal (and illegal) mexicans; because of the main reason that there is NO immigration office in columbia....my mother has to drive to Charlotte to get her papers done.....either that or Charleston.....

I was referring "diversity" of culture meaning races/ethnic backgrounds....not anything else....sorry......and i dont think i need facts for that

Ummmm, yes, you do.

....drive down Central Avenue in Charlotte and South Blvd. and look left and right and you will have proof (asian and latino supermarkets, bakeries, restuarants...) and the Greek population in Charlotte is around 12,000
What city today DOESN'T have its own cluster of Latino shops and such today? And even if a city doesn't have them, that doesn't mean there isn't an influential Latino or Asian population. I know that those populations in Rock Hill are definitely on an upswing; there's at least one cluster of stores in town that caters to the Latino community. I'm not really sure the same is true of the Asian community, but their presence is definitely felt with their entrepreneurial spirit around town.

.....sure the other cities are smaller than charlotte but columbia will never have alot of immigration except for maybe legal (and illegal) mexicans; because of the main reason that there is NO immigration office in columbia....my mother has to drive to Charlotte to get her papers done.....either that or Charleston.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree; Greenville has a pretty vibrant international community from what I'm told. The fact of the matter is that many of these people are attracted to the place where they feel like they can make a decent living, and they can do that in practically any major city in SC or NC.

At any rate, since you don't like to claim your home state, you might as well stay in the NC forum, since it seems as though you have little to say in the way of anything positive about the place that nurtured you.

Ummmm, yes, you do.

What city today DOESN'T have its own cluster of Latino shops and such today? And even if a city doesn't have them, that doesn't mean there isn't an influential Latino or Asian population. I know that those populations in Rock Hill are definitely on an upswing; there's at least one cluster of stores in town that caters to the Latino community. I'm not really sure the same is true of the Asian community, but their presence is definitely felt with their entrepreneurial spirit around town.

I disagree; Greenville has a pretty vibrant international community from what I'm told. The fact of the matter is that many of these people are attracted to the place where they feel like they can make a decent living, and they can do that in practically any major city in SC or NC.

At any rate, since you don't like to claim your home state, you might as well stay in the NC forum, since it seems as though you have little to say in the way of anything positive about the place that nurtured you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not only latino and asian cultures that charlotte has....it has way more people from way more different countries than just mexico and china that most of these smaller towns have.....and Greenville, unlike columbia, does have a immigration office.....and its airport is also an International airport.....for some reason the capital of SC's airport im sad to say is not an international airport.....which makes no sense to me and never will, and im sorry if i offend you in anyway but we do have major issues in our state......I have alot of things that i like about Columbia/SC too....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets calm down a little. He is entitled to his opinion too.

Its not only latino and asian cultures that charlotte has....it has way more people from way more different countries than just mexico and china that most of these smaller towns have.....and Greenville, unlike columbia,  does have a immigration office.....and its airport is also an International airport.....for some reason the capital of SC's airport im sad to say is not an international airport.....which makes no sense to me and never will, and im sorry if i offend you in anyway but we do have major issues in our state......I have alot of things that i like about Columbia/SC too....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But like you said Charlotte is a larger town, so it will naturally have a large population of whatever race you like. Just head down to Atlanta and you will find even more of this that Charlotte has.

Columbia's major industries (eg: government, education, insurance, healthcare) do not require an international airport. In Greenville and Spartanburg they do (eg Michelin, BMW, Hitachi, etc). Charleston has the port, which is reason enough. When Columbia starts attracting more national attention it will probably have to upgrade to an international airport.

Lets calm down a little. He is entitled to his opinion too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh trust me, I'm not upset in any way. I just think it's wild when people all of a sudden discover a city larger than what they're used to, and then they seem to boost that city at the expense of tearing down what's familiar to them. I never really did get that one.

Its not only latino and asian cultures that charlotte has....it has way more people from way more different countries than just mexico and china that most of these smaller towns have.....

You specifically mentioned Latinos and Asians, so that's why I used those particular examples. And by the way, those populations represent a vast array of nationalities. There aren't many other Southern cities that have a significant representation of other groups, such as Nigerians, Ethiopians, Australians, Pacific Islanders, etc.

and Greenville, unlike columbia,  does have a immigration office.....and its airport is also an International airport.....for some reason the capital of SC's airport im sad to say is not an international airport.....which makes no sense to me and never will
Don't read too much into the "international" designation. The Greenville-Spartanburg airport is an "international" airport, yet has no direct international destinations. While CAE doesn't carry the "international" designation, it does have a foreign-trade zone on the premises, so there's still an international connection there.

and im sorry if i offend you in anyway but we do have major issues in our state......I have alot of things that i like about Columbia/SC too....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure we have major issues in our state, and although some other states have made more progress in certain areas than SC, they're still no Utopias. Although the thread was tounge-in-cheek, do you really think that the "Can/should Mecklenburg County secede to SC?" thread in the Charlotte forum would exist if our state didn't have something positive going for it?

I am not meaning to dismiss the benefits of living in a place with racial / ethnic diversity - but too often it seems to me that the benefit typically is "... and that is why my city is better". I would certainly hope Raleigh & Charlotte are more racially diverse than SC cities, because they are significantly larger - the larger the city, not only does the population increase, but the ratio of racial makeup should as well. Because larger cities are greater magnets to those from outside the nation, or are new to this country. That said - I don't think it is anything inherent with North CArolina, but with two of it's largest cities. NC & SC are not that much different (just that NC has more obnoxious forummers ;)).

Now this might attract some fingers pointing at me, but being a history buff, I am quite proud that my home state is largely preserved culturally. For the most part, the same Blacks & Whites - as well as Native Americans, still live there. Because more than most other states, SC strikes me as more of a state that you feel home than most others. Especially when you consider the significant cultural alteration that NC is going through, similar to north Georgia. I would admit, if I was a native of Atlanta or north Georgia (which I fortunately am not), I would definitely not feel home here.

My comments may be a bit simplistic, or even contrived - but I love SC & always make a point to tell anyone that I introduce myself (concerning the typical question - so... where did you live before Atlanta) as a sandlapper :)

Greenville, unlike columbia,  does have a immigration office.....and its airport is also an International airport.....for some reason the capital of SC's airport im sad to say is not an international airport.....which makes no sense to me and never will, and im sorry if i offend you in anyway but we do have major issues in our state......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Being dessignated an "international airport" means nothing. Several years back, a friend and I were driving through the Mississppi Gulf coast in search of "Trent Lott International Airport". We were going skydiving, which is normally done from very small airports. We were surprised that the plane would be flying out of an airport with Jets.

Well, "Trent Lott International Airport" is basically a crop-duster strip. It isn't even the jetport for the Gulf Coast. If you have ever seen the Airport in Florence, it looks like Atlanta Hartsfield by comparison.

I don't know about yall but my family travels often to Europe....and it is a big pain in the butt to have to drive to Charlotte or Atlanta every time since you can't leave the country from Columbia.....that's why I'm complaining about CAE not being an international airport.....got me?

I don't know about yall but my family travels often to Europe....and it is a big pain in the butt to have to drive to Charlotte or Atlanta every time since you can't leave the country from Columbia.....that's why I'm complaining about CAE not being an international airport.....got me?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nobody here cares about your personal issues and stop making boostermism posts which piss people off. You driving down central avenue and looking out your car window is hardly proof of the diversity in Charlotte. Don't expect anyone to take something like this seriously.

The fact of the matter there is relatively little difference between the culture, diversity, and anything else you might want to compare between NC & SC. Gates in Europe to the USA are limited and are assigned by politics. It has nothing to do with the makeup of the people in the area. Charlotte and ATL have gates in Europe because they are airline hubs. There is no other reason.

I agree that SC and NC are overall very similar states despite all the hype. The real differences are not between SC and NC but between the metro areas and the non-metro areas of the Carolinas, whether North or South. It seems that when this NC-SC deal gets going, there is always an assumption that the Charlotte and Triangle metro regions are basically the entire state of NC. It is like if I talked about Georgia as though it was basically metro Atlanta. Just to remind everyone, there is whole lot more to Georgia than metro Atlanta, and there is a whole lot more to NC than the Charlotte and Triangle metro areas. And NC is whole lot more like SC than many NC forum participants want to admit for whatever reason. It reminds me of the posts on another thread about whether NC was still a southern state. I could not believe that it was a serious conversation. Charlotte and Raleigh are nice, thriving, mid-sized southern cities. They are NOT New York City folks. And that is not a bad thing.

I completely agree with you UrbanSoutherner. I don't know why people have this perception of that when an area has a slight change, or doesn't exactly match with the region it is a part of, justifies removing it as part of that region. ALL of Florida is the south. ALL of Virginia is the south. ALL of NC is the south. It really can't be disputed. It is somewhat of a good thing to show how diverse the south truely is.

Good points you guys. That's what I essentially was getting at. Usually, comparisons between states actually shake down to comparisons between metropolitan areas within those states. Being born and bred in SC, spending time in Charlotte was no cultural shock for me, as it bears resemblence to other smaller Southern cities, just on a larger scale. And because it is larger, it will inherently have qualities that smaller cities don't--it isn't a big deal.

When it all boils down to it, when you compare Carolina cities with other cities in their leagues, both in the South and around the nation, they are some of the best cities to live in. Charlotte is cool, Columbia is cool, Greenville-Spartanburg is cool, Greensboro is cool, Charleston is cool, Raleigh is cool--all for different reasons. Variety is the spice of life.

Krazeeboi - your point "Usually, comparisons between states actually shake down to comparisons between metropolitan areas within those states." is right on the money. Too many people have a simplistic opinion about states, assuming because New York City is in New York, that state is - you get my point. There was someone else that I used to disagree with his view: that AL & SC were culturally more open & sophisticated than GA, TN or NC. And in fact, one could supposedly tell the difference by people's attitude as you came nearer or farther from a state line.

Wow, how did that person arrive at his conclusion? State lines are only political boundaries. Again, it all boils down to the metropolitan areas. It is probably true that most of the larger metros within both groups of those states were more "culturally open" and "sophisticated" (and even more so within the larger ones, i.e. Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, Raleigh-Durham), but as far as those states as a whole? Quite similar, I would argue.

Wow, how did that person arrive at his conclusion? State lines are only political boundaries. Again, it all boils down to the metropolitan areas. It is probably true that most of the larger metros within both groups of those states were more "culturally open" and "sophisticated" (and even more so within the larger ones, i.e. Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, Raleigh-Durham), but as far as those states as a whole? Quite similar, I would argue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well he used my all time favorite arguement: "because I know someone there & he agrees with me" also of course he lived in both birmingham & columbia so he should know. Also of course the golden rule for forummers - anyone can justify any insane belief somehow, data can be manipulated & any other source can be found to document 'proof'.... heh, kind of sounds like me :)

But I agree with the arguement, that is simple but makes sense - urban areas indicate a greater level of openness / sophistication / any other accolades due to education levels. The smarter you are, the more illogical you find racism / bigotry / radical fundamentalism, hypothetically of course. But with that - that is how states are often judged, by the urban areas that dominate. Now this is kind of mumbo jumbo, I'm not sure what criteria would be used, but I don't think I'm too far off. By that concept, I would think of some sphere of influence urbanity has, so states such as SC or NC could in fact exhibit a greater level of moderation than GA or AL. This is due to one set of states where population density / urbanity is dispersed more evenly than the others - which are dominated by a few major cities & are overall largely unpopulated.

Ok - that theory has a bunch of holes & I am unable to think it through further - but I hope I provided you some enjoyable Tuesday evening literature :)

Well he used my all time favorite arguement:  "because I know someone there & he agrees with me" also of course he lived in both birmingham & columbia so he should know.  Also of course the golden rule for forummers - anyone can justify any insane belief somehow, data can be manipulated & any other source can be found to document 'proof'.... heh, kind of sounds like me :)

But I agree with the arguement, that is simple but makes sense - urban areas indicate a  greater level of openness / sophistication / any other accolades due to education levels.  The smarter you are, the more illogical you find racism / bigotry / radical fundamentalism, hypothetically of course.  But with that - that is how states are often judged, by the urban areas that dominate.  Now this is kind of mumbo jumbo, I'm not sure what criteria would be used, but I don't think I'm too far off.  By that concept, I would think of some sphere of influence urbanity has, so states such as SC or NC could in fact exhibit a greater level of moderation than GA or AL.  This is due to one set of states where population density / urbanity is dispersed more evenly than the others - which are dominated by a few major cities & are overall largely unpopulated.

Ok - that theory has a bunch of holes & I am unable to think it through further - but I hope I provided you some enjoyable Tuesday evening literature :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow that is a good point I never would have come up with that summary. I wholeheartedly agree with that answer. I think NC/SC are blessed with dispersed metros. However it makes that much harder for either on of our states to get much national respect because there isn't a huge metro that gains the national spotlight.

^ I'm glad you got something out of that :)

But I have argued that despite SC's size (or b/c of it's size) that it is more evenly dense than most other southeastern states, or perhaps any southeastern state. Within 30 minute drive you are typically not far from some urban area (50k +) - Greenville, Anderson, Rock Hill, (part of Charlotte), Florence, Myrtle Beach, Sumter, Charleston, Columbia, (part of Augusta), & Hilton Head make it so that everyone in SC has access to some urban amenity. Only the Orangeburg / Walteboro area could be considered as truly remote - between Augusta - Columbia - Charleston - Savannah.

Archived