Hammond's Ferry, North Augusta

Topher1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Yeah there is a short strip of Georgia Ave (3-4 blocks) that is considered downtown. Some of the downtown characteristics extend a block over to West Ave on the side streets, but all in all, its pretty tiny. The massive First Baptist Church anchors one end and the future city hall will control the other end. Hammond's Ferry is extending downtown in the truest sense all the way down to the river... To the north, dt ends promptly after the Church where the road forks, and a gorgous mansion (Lookaway hall) is built on a ridge in the triangle created by the fork with some of the nicest views of Augusta.

From what I remember of W. Cola, it's similar in size and scale to the strip there, but the businesses (seems like bars/restaurants IIRC?) in that downtown seem more interesting than what's currently in downtown N. Augusta (a few small restaurants and banks), though the Sno-Cap drive-in about 2 blocks away from dt is a popular area institution.

^ Yeah there is a short strip of Georgia Ave (3-4 blocks) that is considered downtown. Some of the downtown characteristics extend a block over to West Ave on the side streets, but all in all, its pretty tiny. The massive First Baptist Church anchors one end and the future city hall will control the other end. Hammond's Ferry is extending downtown in the truest sense all the way down to the river... To the north, dt ends promptly after the Church where the road forks, and a gorgous mansion (Lookaway hall) is built on a ridge in the triangle created by the fork with some of the nicest views of Augusta.

From what I remember of W. Cola, it's similar in size and scale to the strip there, but the businesses (seems like bars/restaurants IIRC?) in that downtown seem more interesting than what's currently in downtown N. Augusta (a few small restaurants and banks), though the Sno-Cap drive-in about 2 blocks away from dt is a popular area institution.

Sounds very much like West Cola. State Street has several restaurants and bars. The West Bank is gradually becoming Columbia's next entertainment area.

The newspaper seems to like West Bank. I think that it should disassociate with the term Vista (even though its more applicable to that area). My reasoning is that West Vista or Vista West makes it sound like its trying to be the Vista, but its not as good. It needs to come up with its own identity.

I love the renderings, density makes me happy.

I agree with Spartan, at first I liked "Vista West", but after some thought I think it needs it's own identity, especially with so many projects and areas using the word Vista. Vista Lofts, Vista Commons, Innovista, etc.....

• 10 months later...

i think better views will come with the removal of trees & cleared land. You should be able to see the wachovia building even if u cant see all of downtown. But when done i think it will make great views even if u cant get all dowtown, (i think u will be able to tho) u still can look over the river which is beautiful

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recently, I took the last exit on I-20 before the Georgia state line and rode through the older part of North Augusta on the way to downtown Augusta. I chose a main road that I had not yet tried, and believe it was Central Avenue. As I drove toward the river, the tree-lined streets lined with handsome historic houses and beautiful yards just got more and more impressive. I must say, it was astonishingly nice!

The town really is reinventing itself, and has apparently hired someone (a Town Planner?) that knows what they're doing. The New Urban ideals in new development such as Hammond's Ferry and now this design for a beautifully porportioned and classical municipal building are examples of more great things to come. What a shining example of how to do it right in S.C.--kudos, North Augusta! :thumbsup:

^ I wouldn't necessarily think that either. I always thought the nickname was kind of dumb, since the city has historically been built far from the river due to the flooding risk. It's only been the past 5 years or so that any significant riverfront property and development has come online...

Archived