Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

Greenville Plans Massive West End Park

Check that article out from WYFF. This is NOT the same thing as the Kroc center, but in addition to it weather we get the Kroc Center or not.

"The city intends to build a 160-acre park along the Reedy River between Academy Street and the Norfolk Southern rail yards."

"The park would be larger than Cleveland Park and Falls Park combined"

I have since heard that it will be called the Mabry Park

Not sure if anybody noticed this on WYFF - Channel 4 News last night:

http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/family/4439659/detail.html

"Greenville Finalizing Plans For Massive West End Park

Park Would Be Larger Than Cleveland Park, Falls Park Combined"

"The park would be larger than Cleveland Park and Falls Park combined."

Plans should be finalized by the end of June. If I heard correctly, the park will be named "Mayberry" or "Mabry" Park.

I've been scanning the area on the GIS Property Viewer - you can almost see the footprint of the park between Academy Street and the end of the Greenville City Limits near the Rail Yards. It should definitely help extend the River Walk greenbelt.

Can't wait to see it finished! :-)

Edited by RestedTraveler

no, it is not just land now.

"Creating the park would force the city to move its Public Works facility and its traffic engineering section, and would involve restoring the Reedy River to its original curved course, rather than the nearly-straight line it was diverted into decades ago."

• 3 weeks later...

That is very interesting, although I don't think the park will look anything like the rendering. RiverPlace has taken much of the space (not straying from the initial concept). The river will be rerouted to a more meandering path and large green spaces will dominate the park landscape.

The very interesting thing I noted awhile back was when Mayor White said that many developers from Charlotte and Atlanta have shown extremely high interest in the property surrounding the park. They are looking to build what most local developers are afraid to invest in for fear of failure due to the history of that area. He stated that these larger developers know what great things can be made out of such unimagineable places (in my own words). :)

That was very exciting to hear! :D We have much to look forward to over there.

BTW, I like a couple of things in the concept above:

-- A Farmers Market on the banks of the Reedy River! :thumbsup:

-- A tram is a nice idea with a great view of downtown, although it may be expensive for many.

-- Utilizing the wetlands by creating small lakes and/or ponds.

BTW, I like a couple of things in the concept above:

-- A Farmers Market on the banks of the Reedy River! :thumbsup:

-- A tram is a nice idea with a great view of downtown, although it may be expensive for many.

-- Utilizing the wetlands by creating small lakes and/or ponds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I think the tram they're referring to in this document is of the rubber-wheeled variety (i.e. a bus riding along the rail line between T.R. and the Mayberry Park).

HOWEVER, now that you mention it - it would be nice to have a skyway type attraction along the river...probably won't happen though. Heck, the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World even closed theirs down a couple of years ago due to, well, let's just say the liability incurred as a result of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good detail, indeed.

So they're calling it "Cleveland Park West" now? What happened to "Mayberry Park?" Why not "Upper Falls Park" or something other than "Cleveland Park West?" Or - if they retain the name "Cleveland Park West," perhaps "The Falls Park on the Reedy" could be re-named to "Harrison Park" after Benjamin Harrison :rofl:

OK..the humor is subtle there, but if you know your U.S. Presidents (particularly #22, #23, and #24), you'll get it. :)

Out of curiosity, was Cleveland Park named after Grover Cleveland in any way, shape, or form?

So they're calling it "Cleveland Park West" now?  What happened to "Mayberry Park?"  Why not "Upper Falls Park" or something other than "Cleveland Park West?"  Or - if they retain the name "Cleveland Park West," perhaps "The Falls Park on the Reedy" could be re-named to "Harrison Park" after Benjamin Harrison  :rofl:

OK..the humor is subtle there, but if you know your U.S. Presidents (particularly #22, #23, and #24), you'll get it. :)

Out of curiosity, was Cleveland Park named after Grover Cleveland in any way, shape, or form?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a presidential trivia buff, I enjoyed your humor. I think the Cleveland Park West name is merely a "working title". It gives people a vision of the size and type of park this would be. An official name probably won't be decided for some time yet.

So they're calling it "Cleveland Park West" now?  What happened to "Mayberry Park?"  Why not "Upper Falls Park" or something other than "Cleveland Park West?"  Or - if they retain the name "Cleveland Park West," perhaps "The Falls Park on the Reedy" could be re-named to "Harrison Park" after Benjamin Harrison  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not a fan of "Mayberry Park." If Greenville wants to shed the image of "small town," using 'Mayberry' will not accomplish that at all. Why not somthing simple like Central Park, or Central Greenville Park, or some other variant?

It was a gift from the Cleveland family (I am assuming of Greenville origins, not the president) in 1928.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if the Greenville Clevelands are related to the Spartanburg Clevelands? Both have parks and streets named for them. I know in Spartanburg there is the old Cleveland House which is still owned by the Cleveland family (including the infamous Arthur).

I am not a fan of "Mayberry Park." If Greenville wants to shed the image of "small town," using 'Mayberry' will not accomplish that at all. Why not somthing simple like Central Park, or Central Greenville Park, or some other variant?

I wonder if the Greenville Clevelands are related to the Spartanburg Clevelands? Both have parks and streets named for them. I know in Spartanburg there is the old Cleveland House which is still owned by the Cleveland family (including the infamous Arthur).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is already a city park by the name Mayberry. It ia a ball field and not much else. I believe the 160 acres includes this park. I sure a new name would be choosen for the newer, larger park.

As for the Clevelands, I have wondered about that myself.

Please, PLEASE let's not name it Mayberry Park. Something like that belongs in some small country town, with one traffic light, where the majority of people would be proud to have a park named after their favorite TV show. In Greenville, we are too forward-thinking (I would like to believe that's the case, anyway) to name a grand park something like Mayberry!

• 8 months later...

It appears that the recent verdicts on the property values for the property owned by Verne Cassady, Billy Mitchell and Jeanette Surratt will delay the expansion of the Reedy River Park.

FULL STORY.

The city is weighing its options.

Thanks RT. :thumbsup:

Here is the expanded story in this morning's paper.

Its interesting they are planning to spend the same amount of money on the west side of the bridge as they did in Falls Park. That should make for a real nice park considering they won't be paying for another Liberty Bridge.

I thought I'd try to breathe some new life into this topic in hopes that the development of this new park isn't going to be delayed as much as it could be.

Considering the new "Cleveland Park West" or "Reedy River Park" or "Maybry Park" or whatever it is going to be named, the question comes to mind: What amenities would you like to see in this new park?

As has been discussed here and in other threads, I'd personally like to see a flow-controlled whitewater course smaller than but similar to the one at the U.S. National Whitewater Center being developed over in Charlotte. While development of such a course may be costly, it would definitely be a unique urban draw for Downtown Greenville if we had it.

We also seem to have some input suggesting people would like to see a golf course.

Perhaps a skate park? As long as there is going to be a Skate Park at the new Kroc Center, this goal may very well be met without having to integrate it into the park itself.

What other ideas does everybody have for things they'd like to see included in the park?