Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

I was excited about everything that had previously been presented about this park. Now, I'm blown away. This sounds very well thought out and I'm glad to see how diverse the uses will be. 

The observation tower sounds potentially really awesome! Hopefully its final design will be as iconic as envisioned and we'll have an awesome landmark. The smokestack-like gesture of the tower seems appropriate for Greenville's west side. 

Has the City done extensive rezoning and master planning for the land surrounding the park? I don't think I've seen anything significant on this end yet. 

The most exciting and impressive part of the park's development for me will be the Reedy River reclamation. The River Restoration presentation by MKSK that is presented in the Greenville Journal's article is really interesting (with exposed bedrock and addition of significant trees)  and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

image.png.3109fc70324339064003fb9239e28b0e.png

• Like 3

This is awesome...some questions come to mind concerning pedestrian management and security situations for the tower. I'm sure this and all concerns will be answered in time. This could be Greenville's version of a Central Park...

Edited by cabelagent

16 hours ago, chuckyvt said:

Very exciting.  I think the "gathering hall" is sorely needed.  Currently, if an event isn't big enough to close mainstreet, there really isn't a good event space in Downtown.  Fluor Field has been used, but it really isn't ideal.  

Can't agree more. A very large and open public gathering space is vital for the civic health of a city. 

Concerts, plays, festivals, speeches, rallies, races (bike and running), and debates. Falls Park and Cleveland Park are not big enough for these events.  Hopefully the gathering hall will be large and adjacent to acres of open space (and with plenty of public restrooms).  For me, this is the biggest possible added value of the new park. 

• Like 2

Just weighing in, but I am LOVING what I am see here. Greenville has done a fantastic job with its parks over the past couple of decades. Cleveland has always been a nice park and Falls is absolutely first rate. We all know what the Swamp Rabbit has done, though not a park, it is a public trail that is similar in effect. Conestee is a very nice destination park as well. They are going to redo McPherson park, which a nice niche pocket park, and the Cancer Survivors park looks to be first class as well. And now Unity Park looks fantastic! I love the intent to continue utilizing  the river, and the observation tower looks awesome. LOVE the renderings, bravo leaders!

• Like 1

Very excited about this.  The tower is a must to ensure this is a destination park that draws visitors in along with the events at the gathering hall.  The tweaks from the past proposal are spot on in my opinion.  The park is something to look forward to now, the playgrounds are much improved, and it adds to Falls Park and Cleveland Park  without taking anything away.  Really great job, all three parks will be must see destinations for locals and visitors.  very pleased, a "hit out of the park" haha.

I only had time to scan the articles on it. I agree with all that this is impressive, but a question: is this the first phase of a larger 160 acre park, or has the whole thing been scaled down to 60, or was it always going to be 60?

• 1 month later...

Interested in people's takes on the City's plan for developing "affordable housing" around Unity Park and the opposition to "gentrification".

https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/07/04/city-building-affordable-housing-on-city-owned-property-around-unity-park-way-to-fight-rising-property-values-and-housing-cost/

For those that want to think a little more about the issue, here is an article from Slate that takes an atypical stance on the topic. Very interesting. 

"One of the first people to explore this question in a sophisticated way was University of Washington economist Jacob Vigdor. In 2002, Vigdor examined what had happened in Boston between 1974 and 1997, a period of supposedly intense gentrification. But Vigdor found no evidence that poor people moved out of gentrifying neighborhoods at a higher than normal rate. In fact, rates of departure from gentrifying neighborhoods were actually lower."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/01/the_gentrification_myth_it_s_rare_and_not_as_bad_for_the_poor_as_people.html

Good job, Greenville! Mix of income and consistency of quality between market rate and affordable units are important. I think the city has their focus correct right now. I support the higher density closest to the park, and I hope this takes many forms— midrise multifamily, townhouses, and single family. I think they did a great job with the homes along Haynie. 

~2,000 units would be a sizable population boost by way of infill alone. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Unity Park Land Purchases

Seven parcels 

(Tax Map Number 0053000401200); b) contract between the City and Husk Investments, LLC (Tax Map Numbers 0053000400800, 0053000400900, 0053000401000, 053000401100, and 0053000401700), dated July 1, 2018, and c) contract between the City and Willimon Investments, LLC (Tax Map Number 0052000400800)

• 2 weeks later...