Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

• 1 month later...

12 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

West Washington St. could be Affordable Housing Model

Very interesting. Looking forward to hearing more on this. Council meets on Monday, maybe it is part of the agenda. Should know tomorrow, if so. 

This is the vacant land in the Washington- Capitol Ct- Antley-Mulberry block. 

This certainly is interesting... I'd really like the see West Washington take a big step forward, and hopefully this is progress. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vicupstate said:

West Washington St. could be Affordable Housing Model

Very interesting. Looking forward to hearing more on this. Council meets on Monday, maybe it is part of the agenda. Should know tomorrow, if so. 

This is the vacant land in the Washington- Capitol Ct- Antley-Mulberry block. 

Greenville Journal

See page 11 for drawing.  

20 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Glad to hear that it's going so well! Nice to see that they'll focus on fundraising for the tower this year.  Can't wait to see some dirt moving and the evolution of the city west of the CBD.

By the estimate of 200 steps (at 7" apiece), the observation level would be approximately 116' above grade. 

Exciting! I love the tower idea to showcase and set off the park, and it will become a new destination in downtown. I only wish it was more along the lines of about 200 feet, as 115 feet will not even be taller than some trees. I'm sure they will plan shorter trees nearby, but if the idea is to give good views all around, I don't think 115 or 120 will do it. If Emporis is correct, that will be the same hight as the former Wachovia building; not exactly a building one would go to for a 360 view.

• 3 weeks later...

First Reading was approved for the Crescent Village project.  I hope we get to see drawings for Buildings A and B soon.  I like what I see so far.  The project seems very innovative.

Since this project is three stories, I hope that will persuade council to allow three stories for all of Washington Street.  The 2.5 stories set for the NCO zoning seems short-sighted and arbitrary to me.      

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

First Reading was approved for the Crescent Village project.  I hope we get to see drawings for Buildings A and B soon.  I like what I see so far.  The project seems very innovative.

Since this project is three stories, I hope that will persuade council to allow three stories for all of Washington Street.  The 2.5 stories set for the NCO zoning seems short-sighted and arbitrary to me.      

I'd hate to have an apartment on the half story!:D

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

I, too, was happy to see them give a first approval to this. I certainly hope it's successful!  I wonder how these types of proposed projects can/will evolve and scale in the future?

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Thanks 1

TD grant will help formulate affordable-housing plan in Unity Park area

“A $50,000 grant from the TD Charitable Foundation will help the Greenville Housing Fund formulate an affordable-housing plan for the neighborhoods surrounding Greenville’s planned Unity Park..“

“The city expects to hire a construction manager for the park next month. Demolition work on the city’s former public works campus on Hudson Street should begin in April. Groundbreaking for the park is expected late this year.”

https://greenvillejournal.com/2019/02/19/td-grant-will-help-formulate-affordable-housing-plan-in-unity-park-area/

Nautic Brewing to open on edge of Unity Park  

Bordering the site of the City of Greenville’s proposed Unity Park, Nautic Brewing will establish its home at 101 S. Hudson St., next to the Miracle Hill Rescue Mission on the corner of West Washington and South Hudson streets. An adjoining property will provide expansion room and parking for the brewery.

22 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Bordering the site of the City of Greenville’s proposed Unity Park, Nautic Brewing will establish its home at 101 S. Hudson St., next to the Miracle Hill Rescue Mission on the corner of West Washington and South Hudson streets. An adjoining property will provide expansion room and parking for the brewery.

An addition the old TTR Bikes building. Park Place on Hudson is going to be a pretty awesome place to live very soon, minus having to look down the hill at the electrical substation.

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Cool! This entire area is going to be a hot bed of construction over the next 10 years. 

25 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Is there information on what’s included in phase II? I assume the Observation Tower (which comes via private funds if I’m not mistaken),  the “natural play area” and the “wetlands boardwalks.”

4 hours ago, GVLover said:

Is there information on what’s included in phase II? I assume the Observation Tower (which comes via private funds if I’m not mistaken),  the “natural play area” and the “wetlands boardwalks.”

Pretty much the items you listed are what’s included with phase II. 

Hmmm, that's a change; they said all along they wanted to do the tower one of the first things so they could have a visible element to get "buy in" for the project. Here it says future phase consideration as " an alternate. " Bait and switch? That would be disappointing. 

Edited by distortedlogic

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Hmmm, that's a change; they said all along they wanted to do the tower one of the first things so they could have a visible element to get "buy in" for the project. Here it says future phase consideration as " an alternate. " Bait and switch? That would be disappointing. 

It’s probably dependent on how much money they can raise from private donors.