Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

• 2 months later...

Tonight a public meeting was held on this park at The Kroc Center.  A charette and work session will be held Saturday 2/23 from 9am to 1:00pm at the Kroc center.  Monday thru Wednesday from 8:30 Am until 6 pm, the design team will be at Tabernacle Baprist Church to begin working with the ideas. Walk-ins are welcome.  On Thursday, at 6:00pm the consultants will share their drawings,

Tonight a public meeting was held on this park at The Kroc Center.  A charette and work session will be held Saturday 2/23 from 9am to 1:00pm at the Kroc center.  Monday thru Wednesday from 8:30 Am until 6 pm, the design team will be at Tabernacle Baprist Church to begin working with the ideas. Walk-ins are welcome.  On Thursday, at 6:00pm the consultants will share their drawings,

Awesome! I'm ready to see this happen.

The Charette focused on about 24 acres between Hudson Street and the
Hughes/Crossfit property on both sides of the Reedy. There is much more acreage
beyond that, but Mayor White said the money currently available would
adequately address that amount of land.

Three more days remain to make your input known before the Thursday (6:00pm) results
are displayed.

The Charette focused on about 24 acres between Hudson Street and the

Hughes/Crossfit property on both sides of the Reedy. There is much more acreage

beyond that, but Mayor White said the money currently available would

adequately address that amount of land.

Three more days remain to make your input known before the Thursday (6:00pm) results

are displayed.

Well I did remember that they were going to do it in stages. I'm glad they have the money to start it up, hopefully soon.

At what point does gentrification become a concern? 

It looks to me like most of the park would be on land that is already open, except for a couple of buildings (but not homes). But I'm with you, I hate to see people kicked out of their homes...it's one of those dark things that happens and most people look the other direction and say "it needs to be done". Think of the outrage you would here if you told Chanticleer residents you were tearing their houses down to build a park...yeah, that wouldn't fly! 

It looks to me like most of the park would be on land that is already open, except for a couple of buildings (but not homes). But I'm with you, I hate to see people kicked out of their homes...it's one of those dark things that happens and most people look the other direction and say "it needs to be done". Think of the outrage you would here if you told Chanticleer residents you were tearing their houses down to build a park...yeah, that wouldn't fly! 

I think the concern with gentrification is that property increase and run off the lower income existing residents, not the taking of land.

I think the concern with gentrification is that property increase and run off the lower income existing residents, not the taking of land.

Yes.  The location of the proposed park is in a current flood plane (that is why they want to get Public Works out of there).  As far as I know (and I attended about three workshops on this project) no residential structures are scheduled to be torn down because of this park.

Yes.  The location of the proposed park is in a current flood plane (that is why they want to get Public Works out of there).  As far as I know (and I attended about three workshops on this project) no residential structures are scheduled to be torn down because of this park.

However, adjacent and nearby properties will increase in desirability by virtue of being close to the park, thus increasing the possibility that they will be bought out by developers wanting to build more expensive homes, driving out lower-income residents. Not quite the same process as urban renewal but with similar results.

However, adjacent and nearby properties will increase in desirability by virtue of being close to the park, thus increasing the possibility that they will be bought out by developers wanting to build more expensive homes, driving out lower-income residents. Not quite the same process as urban renewal but with similar results.

Yes, everything that you say is correct.  However, city officials are well aware of the effect of increasing property values on current neighborhood residents.  There are things (like affordable housing initiatives, and homestead exemptions) that can ameliorate the trend, but it is a dilemma.  I would argue that the gentrification process is already well underway.  Just go up Hampton Avenue and see the flipped houses making their way up to the 700 block.  I agree that the park will exacerbate this--but likely not as much as the Kroc Center and Whittenberg already have.  

I'll tell the consultants.  There is a meeting tonight at the Kroc Center to discuss the plans.

Thanks, I know the mayor wanting to "un-strighten" the river to restore the ecology of the area and adding of forestry area next to the river adds to that. They can always have lifted plank boardwalk for paths near the river.

Yes, everything that you say is correct.  However, city officials are well aware of the effect of increasing property values on current neighborhood residents.  There are things (like affordable housing initiatives, and homestead exemptions) that can ameliorate the trend, but it is a dilemma.  I would argue that the gentrification process is already well underway.  Just go up Hampton Avenue and see the flipped houses making their way up to the 700 block.  I agree that the park will exacerbate this--but likely not as much as the Kroc Center and Whittenberg already have.  

I would disagree with that sentiment. The Kroc Center serves the neighborhood right now and while it has certainly increased property values. It has not done so to an extent that would force gentrification. Same goes with A.J. However the park makes an area suddenly desirable to developers like Bob Hughes. 

Thanks. I like different aspects of all three honestly...if it were my decision I would pick and choose from each one. I definitely think having at least two bridges connecting each side is nice to keep somewhat of a flow around the park, instead of having everyone congest a single bridge. The skate park would also be a nice touch! I'm not a street skater myself (longboarder here!) but skaters definitely need a place to skate in the downtown area. The city (police, that is) is always yelling at skaters, so why not give them a place to go. 

Also seems like they're unsure whether they want a baseball field, softball field, or no field. Seems like a yes or no to me...not a maybe.

Also also, the bouldering/climbing area would be incredible!!! Really, I think that would be an wonderful thing for Greenville to do. There are plenty of climbers in the area who would put it to use. I recently got into bouldering, very mildly as of now, but it's a great workout and a lot of fun.

Everything else just seems to be a decision on location of different aspects, like the lawn/play areas, playground, and pavilions. All three options would be great but I hope to see as much of each one incorporated as possible!

Edited by GVLbikeNboard