Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

4 hours ago, gvegascple said:

I hope so, maybe it was the lack of detail on pages 12 and 13 versus the detail shown for the 2013 plan just make it appear as though there is less (It kind of looks like its mostly green fields despite all of the items listed as being part of the park.  The renderings dont show anything very impressive either in regards to what will be installed there.  I saw some swamp-type boardwalk trails, a very rudimentary park, a stage that doesnt look that much different than the covered food court at the zoo, some picnic tables and some out door grills shaped like pigs.  I sort of figured they would showcase the best stuff in the renderings so if that is it, I am sort of meh. I did notice that they scrubbed the "who's my landlord" writing off one of the peoples t-shirts at the picnic table and updated the doc so kudos there, as that was pretty um bad.  I dont know, I am still not convinced that my first impression isn't still accurate and still hopeful as well that I am wrong.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/7068

The original plan was always a little too ambiguous in terms of how much stuff they were going to pack in to between with. One thing I noticed is that they removed the parkour course. I don't think many want to deal with the potential liability issues and that is understandable. 

They also enlarged the large by 25+%, which probably means funds are probably spread a little thinner.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

The original plan was always a little too ambiguous in terms of how much stuff they were going to pack in to between with. One thing I noticed is that they removed the parkour course. I don't think many want to deal with the potential liability issues and that is understandable. 

They also enlarged the large by 25+%, which probably means funds are probably spread a little thinner.

Both of those items make complete sense and I am very happy things are moving forward and I really am impressed with measures to clean the river and remove sediment (hopefully there will be more of this further upstream as well).  My concern about making the park too bland is that it could make it less safe.  Falls park is safer because it attracts so many people.  Criminals are less likely to hang out there because people will see and report them to the police if they are up to no good (most of the time).  If the park expansion isnt ambitious enough to be a destination, it could become less safe for people to go to.  Cleveland Park had such a reputation at one time if I remember right.   

Edited by gvegascple
removed extra word

• 3 months later...
On 1/27/2017 at 3:43 PM, Gville2012 said:

1/23/17 Update: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/7671

Design is the same, just looks like they are continuing to evolve the plan.

I really hope this turns out well.  It just seems sooooo ok.  Falls Park is phenomenal and would love to see this as more of a seamless extension (even though it does get broken up some at Academy).  This could be the link to the next great thing farther north and something that solidifies what would seem like a river walk of sorts.  I fear that this could be the low rent park for the minorities of the west side of town while on the other side of Academy we have the nice white park.  I really really hope that is not what happens.  I want the park to further integrate and not divide the people of Greenville.  Crossing fingers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 10:50 AM, gvegascple said:

Any news on the park?  Last date I heard was spring 2018 for breaking ground, that is just around the corner and was hoping to see more info by now

last week I saw folks drilling for soil samples by Swamp Rabbit Trail between public works vehicle lot and their storage area for recycling bins, etc. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/11/2018 at 4:35 PM, vicupstate said:

City to purchase additional land for Reedy River Park

Looks like six parcels involved. 

Can anyone convert the tax map numbers? 
City and Smith Dray Line & Storage Co, Inc. and T&N Enterprises dated March 13, 2018 (Tax Map Numbers 55-1-3.1 and 55-1-3.4);

City and Richard William Hills, Jr., dated April 27, 2018 (Tax Map Number 52- 4.11.6);

City and S.C. Asset Management Company, LLC, dated April 11, 2018 (Tax Map Numbers 52-4-12 and 52-4-9.6); 

City and Willimon Investments, LLC, dated May 4, 2018 (Tax Map Number 52-4-11.7)

2 hours ago, FUgrad02 said:

Can anyone convert the tax map numbers? 
City and Smith Dray Line & Storage Co, Inc. and T&N Enterprises dated March 13, 2018 (Tax Map Numbers 55-1-3.1 and 55-1-3.4);

City and Richard William Hills, Jr., dated April 27, 2018 (Tax Map Number 52- 4.11.6);

City and S.C. Asset Management Com0052000401200pany, LLC, dated April 11, 2018 (Tax Map Numbers 52-4-12 and 52-4-9.6); 

City and Willimon Investments, LLC, dated May 4, 2018 (Tax Map Number 52-4-11.7)

Dray Line: 100 & 120 Welborn St.  005000100301 and 005000100304

Hills: 005200401106 

S.C. Asset Management:    0052000401200 & 0052000400906

Willimon: 0052000401107

These are contiguous except for Dray Line which is divided by land the city already owned.  The other parcels are on or near Trescott & Meadow St. intersection. 

Let’s roll: https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2018/05/17/greenville-new-park-unity-park-tower-pedestrian-bridge-trail-river/615648002/ 

Unity Park. $40 million. 60 acres. 10 story observation tower with elevator, stairwell, and light beacon. $5 million pedestrian bridge over the Reedy River.  State of the art gathering hall. A children's playground with one of the finest interactive water features in the state. And much, much more. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1