Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

1 minute ago, Den2Gvl said:

NOMA Square? 

Maybe. I haven't done anything on that end of Main in a long time. The entire project--Hyatt, atrium, and office building; and I suppose the outdoor plaza--was originally called the Greenville Commons. I did a little digging, and it seems that the parking garage is called "Commons Garage" according to the city's website.

I’m surprised no one posted this. Some new information in the article that is exciting yet, I feel this area may gentrify as opposed to rehabilitate. 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2019/05/03/greenville-sc-commons-tenants-includes-local-dining-offices-and-retail/3615285002/

Speaking of “The Commons”, I read this article last night from 1996. I’m sure someone will enjoy it:

https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1996-09-22-3099739-story.html

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 9:53 AM, vicupstate said:

I have MOD rights but can't chaneg the name. I could start a new thread, if that is the consensus.   

Thx...thought it could be easily updated to reflect a more current state.  There's numerous posts on current thread so probably best to not add a new one...unless posts can be transferred to a new one. Thx again! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 8:55 AM, cabelagent said:

Can  topic name be updated?

Point of clarification: Thread names can be changed. Just let me or Vic know and we'll update them. I haven't had as much time for UP lately, so please send a message or tag me so I'll get the alert and I can come fix it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 2:17 PM, Gville2012 said:

Maybe they accidentally posted on their website too early?  I do not remember hearing about all of these businesses....

http://www.commonsgvl.com/#foodie-haven

They also posted some pics/videos from groundbreaking on their instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/the_commons_gvl/

I saw GB&D listed.  I suppose this means they plan to move from their current location across from the Anchorage.

Not News: Mayor White Tweeted a video of the potential perspective of the Unity Park Observation Tower. I can’t wait for this thing to be built, but I do wish it were a bit taller. I’ve chipped in my fair share in donations towards Unity Park, but I’d chip in more if they said it were to make the tower about 15-25 floors in height as opposed to 10 it will be (equivalent height, not floors it will actually be). I’m sure there is a corporate sponsor somewhere that would be interested in putting their name on it and would make a sizable donation to do so.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GVLover said:

Not News: Mayor White Tweeted a video of the potential perspective of the Unity Park Observation Tower. I can’t wait for this thing to be built, but I do wish it were a bit taller. I’ve chipped in my fair share in donations towards Unity Park, but I’d chip in more if they said it were to make the tower about 15-25 floors in height as opposed to 10 it will be (equivalent height, not floors it will actually be). I’m sure there is a corporate sponsor somewhere that would be interested in putting their name on it and would make a sizable donation to do so.

Cool, thanks for sharing. And I agree and said something similar before about the height. While it will be cool, a ten story height will not have the effect they are promoting here, it wont even be taller than some trees,  which was obvious in the video. I think they need to rethink their approach to the tower if they truly want a unique attraction that will yield a truly incredible view.  It needs to be much taller than 100 or 120 feet tall. If done right, it could be our version of the Eiffel Tower or St Louis arch. While I understand there has to limits here, I'm not sure i can see spending millions on a  "tower" that really doesn't serve its purpose. 

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

According to GVLToday's Instagram story there's an announcement with details coming next week. 

I love the tower, but I agree I would like to see it a little taller. I think it'll be really cool regardless.  I think, if done right, it could be as iconic as the bridge in Falls Park. 

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Cool, thanks for sharing. And I agree and said something similar before about the height. While it will be cool, a ten story height will not have the effect they are promoting here, it wont even be taller than some trees,  which was obvious in the video. I think they need to rethink their approach to the tower if they truly want a unique attraction that will yield a truly incredible view.  It needs to be much taller than 100 or 120 feet tall. If done right, it could be our version of the Eiffel Tower or St Louis arch. While I understand there has to limits here, I'm not sure i can see spending millions on a  "tower" that really doesn't serve its purpose. 

Agreed. According to Google Earth, the proposed location of the tower is close to 100 ft. lower in elevation than the Pendleton-Academy intersection and 60ish feet lower than Main & Beattie.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:13 PM, olrob said:

This is a rare opportunity to take something from "cool" to " iconic".

The helix-like shape of the tower is nice and could be iconic, but the concept seems to be latticed metal. I just hope the thing doesn't clatter under all the footfalls, or whistle in the wind.

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 7.19.43 AM.png