Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

On 6/12/2019 at 3:30 PM, GVLover said:

Not News: Mayor White Tweeted a video of the potential perspective of the Unity Park Observation Tower. I can’t wait for this thing to be built, but I do wish it were a bit taller. I’ve chipped in my fair share in donations towards Unity Park, but I’d chip in more if they said it were to make the tower about 15-25 floors in height as opposed to 10 it will be (equivalent height, not floors it will actually be). I’m sure there is a corporate sponsor somewhere that would be interested in putting their name on it and would make a sizable donation to do so.

What is the purpose of an observation tower if the mountains (excluding Paris and Piney Mountains, of course) are only slightly visible?  What does everyone here think of the Vessel structure NYC?  I also like The Lookout at the Pyramid in Memphis.

2 hours ago, Skyliner said:

What is the purpose of an observation tower if the mountains (excluding Paris and Piney Mountains, of course) are only slightly visible?  What does everyone here think of the Vessel structure NYC?  I also like The Lookout at the Pyramid in Memphis.

My point exactly, and most of downtown isn't even viewable from there. I LOVE , LOVE the idea but a 100 ft tower isn't going to do the job, it needs to be at least like 250 (and that's only equivalent to a 20 story building) to really be able to get a bird eye view. 

I don't see spending that kind of money if it's not going to serve the purpose of being iconic and providing a great view... and that video is not a great view, lets just be honest. 

Something with a great view and something unique,  or what's the point?

BTW,  that  "vessel " in NYC is very cool looking.  Not right for this project but very cool and I like that it's unique and outside the box. Let's get creative and crazy here.

Another thought, remember the proposals for the Carillon a few years ago? The one that was chosen was the least creative and daring of the whole bunch, and it's hardly even noticeable.  That was a missed opportunity in my opinion. Let's do better if we're going to do this thing.

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SVL said:

The tower is shrinking...:tw_confused:

https://gvltoday.6amcity.com/unity-park-observation-tower-update/

The current design height of the Unity Park observation tower is shorter than initially proposed: 80 feet tall (~7 stories)as opposed to the original 120 feet tall (~10 stories).

Wow.. just cancel it, no need to spend millions of dollars on that.  

New Design:

472D2D2D-1840-4764-BF64-92EB6640529F.jpeg

Old Design:

F41E2397-5381-4954-857F-632E191C2267.jpeg

For a split second, it grew on me until I saw the original conceptual design again — much better. Frankly, I don’t see how this costing $10 million in the first place but going in the shorter, stubbier, less ambitious direction is a complete turnoff. I’m aware this isn’t the final design, but by even recommending a shorter tower it suggests donations are less promising than I thought they’d be. 

Edited by GVLover

16 minutes ago, SVL said:

The tower is shrinking...:tw_confused:

https://gvltoday.6amcity.com/unity-park-observation-tower-update/

The current design height of the Unity Park observation tower is shorter than initially proposed: 80 feet tall (~7 stories)as opposed to the original 120 feet tall (~10 stories).

Guess they want better views of birds & squirrels...in the trees.

• Like 1

The photos they shared from the full height are not bad. However, the more detailed renderings they have are not very dynamic, which is partially a result of concept vs construct-ability. It’s too straight-up cylindrical and squat looking. I agree- let’s find some extra money and make it appear skinnier to work out the proportions... It really needs to be more reminiscent proportionally of the mill towers that dot our west side.

Edited by GvilleSC

I don't know--the metal just makes it look like an oversized jungle gym.

Why not blue granite? They still quarry it in Elberton. Put it in a later phase and keep raising money to do this thing right.

Personally, I'd take quality over height. But I like height, too.

9 minutes ago, Exile said:

I don't know--the metal just makes it look like an oversized jungle gym.

Why not blue granite? They still quarry it in Elberton. Put it in a later phase and keep raising money to do this thing right.

Personally, I'd take quality over height. But I like height, too.

Agreed; I thought this was supposed to be a monument to one extent or another, but the jungle gym appearance is ridiculous. While I originally said cancel it, waiting longer to fundraise is a much better strategy. I expected today’s announcement to be an actual *increase* in height or a corporate sponsor (BMW?) as opposed to ridiculous renderings and a shorter height.  

3 hours ago, GVLover said:

Wow.. just cancel it, no need to spend millions of dollars on that.  

New Design:

472D2D2D-1840-4764-BF64-92EB6640529F.jpeg

Old Design:

F41E2397-5381-4954-857F-632E191C2267.jpeg

For a split second, it grew on me until I saw the original conceptual design again — much better. Frankly, I don’t see how this costing $10 million in the first place but going in the shorter, stubbier, less ambitious direction is a complete turnoff. I’m aware this isn’t the final design, but by even recommending a shorter tower it suggests donations are less promising than I thought they’d be. 

Yeah, not a good sign. I would think a company would be jumping at a chance to name this tower after themself,  but I guess not. Recall that initially the tower was going to be built first so as " to provide buy in for the park" , but that quickly changed to later phases.

While I love the idea of an observation tower, I'd rather not have it than have it done halfway or it be pointless. 

I thought of Bok Tower in FL, something like that is a beautiful structure and at 205 feet, certainly wouldn't overwhelm the park, but would be tall enough to stay above the trees and at least yield some views. The public is not allowed at the top of that one, which is quite disappointing. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bok_Tower_Gardens

It just seems like there a thousand ways to do an observation tower there that could be unique and intriguing.  All you need is wide enough for an elevator shaft in the middle and steps wrapping the outside. Someone mentioned an ode to the mill chimney sacks, that could work. Theres lots of options.  

How about this idea: a center glass cylinder about 250 feet tall with a glass elevator in the middle. The cylinder has water falling down to a small pumping pond at the bottom. When you ride the elevator it looks like you're inside a waterfall.  Staircases  wrap around the outside of the cylinder and falls, so that if you climb the stairs you get to see both the waterfall and the rising view around you. Imagine the possibilities of lighting. From a distance it would look like the tower is held up by the waterfall. A tower based on the "floating water faucet illusion." Yes this would cost more money, but imagine selling the naming rights for something like that instead of an 80 foot cheese grater. The waterfall would be a great complement to our area; natural waterfalls, the river, falls park, and other water features around downtown. 

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

If that design is ultimately built this will be the biggest "miss" in a city with SO many "hits". They need to keep the helix design and bump it up closer to 200 feet. I know there isn't money for that but it would be worth waiting for a sponsor, a huge private donation (from GvilleSC), or even a gofundme page.  The Liberty Bridge was expensive but was worth the cost because it's immediately associated with Greenville. The observation tower could be something special that visually connects it with Greenville (think Space Needle, Transamerica Pyramid). This is such an amazing opportunity, it would be a shame if our leaders squander it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

The Furman bell tower looks better than this thing. We should all send emails to city council. :)

Great idea!  Here are their emails: https://www.greenvillecounty.org/Council/ContactInfo.aspx

I think these are the county members and my computer is blocking me from the city council site....hmm

gman, please correct

Edited by olrob
screwed up

27 minutes ago, olrob said:

Great idea!  Here are their emails: https://www.greenvillecounty.org/Council/ContactInfo.aspx

I think these are the county members and my computer is blocking me from the city council site....hmm

gman, please correct

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/Directory.aspx?DID=22

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 8:37 AM, vicupstate said:

The Borden building property across from the Post Office (and the new Dog Kennel place) sold for $2.65 mm on 5/23/19.  Parcel is 1.95 acres. 

Rehab Tax Credits being granted. I am not sure if that means the buildingitself will be rehabbed or just the property as a whole (meaning demo might still be involved.

711 West Washington St.  Abandoned Property