Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 8:37 AM, vicupstate said:

The Borden building property across from the Post Office (and the new Dog Kennel place) sold for $2.65 mm on 5/23/19.  Parcel is 1.95 acres. 

The new owners of the Borden building have now purchased the  adjoining vacant  .566 acre parcel at 305 Oscar street for $300k on 7/30/19.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stream of consciousness on this proposed Code:

• I really appreciate the street connectivity being proposed. This will help remedy where the street network really starts deteriorating, and prove quite useful in redevelopment efforts. I hope that happens as shown!
  • I think the redevelopment along Mayberry Street is going to be critical to establishing a significant park population. 100' height restriction seems reasonable, but I wouldn't mind seeing a stated height variation offered up for creative/unique design and/or affordability. 
  • The small scale commercial development area should be a really cool node! 

Additionally, I  wouldn't mind seeing a restriction on disappointingly-designed, stagnant-looking, squat observation towers. Inspiring design should be encouraged throughout.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, NewlyUpstate said:

The Commons had a soft opening today. They will be closed Sunday and Monday and then Tuesday will be the official first day its opened!

Methodical Coffee, Automatic Taco, and Community Tap will at least be open, I think I heard GBD isn't opening until mid December.

Drove past the Commons last weekend.  It is really hard to tell anything is open there.  The pavement and rest of the buildings still look like run down warehouses and the signage is lacking.   If you are not specifically looking for it (and hard) you are not going to know this place exists. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

Drove past the Commons last weekend.  It is really hard to tell anything is open there.  The pavement and rest of the buildings still look like run down warehouses and the signage is lacking.   If you are not specifically looking for it (and hard) you are not going to know this place exists. 

This whole area is about to be transformed. It's an ongoing project. And the Commons have still been very busy since they opened even with the lack of signage. I think social media has helped with this. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Den2Gvl said:

This whole area is about to be transformed. It's an ongoing project. And the Commons have still been very busy since they opened even with the lack of signage. I think social media has helped with this. 

Yeah I've been a couple times since they've opened and it's always had a good crowd. Its pretty cool, I highly suggest checking it out!

GB&D is indeed open, its only the Bake Room that is delayed.

2 minutes ago, Den2Gvl said:

Oh I understand that there is a big ole honkin park that will be built around this spot.   I dont think it will be anytime soon.   If I was one of the businesses in there, I would be concerned that for the next year and a half to 2 years that it takes for the park to take shape, that this location without better signage and streets is going to suffer.  I dont know of many restaurants that can afford to wait around that long and I imagine rents will go up around then too.   

The Commons is still a work in progress but all the shops have been busy so far and it will be a nice addition to the area.

City Council had a meeting inside The Commons today and the timeline for more construction is very soon.  You will start seeing infrastructure improvements in the next several weeks and more dirt to start moving in the February time frame...expect construction to take 18-24 months.  The City wants to move this project along sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, smcu2006 said:

The Commons is still a work in progress but all the shops have been busy so far and it will be a nice addition to the area.

City Council had a meeting inside The Commons today and the timeline for more construction is very soon.  You will start seeing infrastructure improvements in the next several weeks and more dirt to start moving in the February time frame...expect construction to take 18-24 months.  The City wants to move this project along sooner rather than later.

This is good news and sort of my point, the park is going to take a year and a half to two years.  For business that are in the construction zone, infrastructure improvements like completing exterior building work, roads, parking, sidewalks, lighting, and signs are needed immediately to support them.  

Edited by gvegascple

16 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

This is good news and sort of my point, the park is going to take a year and a half to two years.  For business that are in the construction zone, infrastructure improvements like completing exterior building work, roads, parking, sidewalks, lighting, and signs are needed immediately to support them.  

It probably also helps that the businesses (Methodical, Community Tap, Auto Taco, GB&D) have an almost cult-like following with very good reputations around the city. The people who like those places and frequent them will know where they are, signage or not. 

Just curious, did you feel the same way about the project at Hampton Station? The feels are similar relative to site conditions at opening and the Commons is much more convenient to downtown.

8 minutes ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

It probably also helps that the businesses (Methodical, Community Tap, Auto Taco, GB&D) have an almost cult-like following with very good reputations around the city. The people who like those places and frequent them will know where they are, signage or not. 

Just curious, did you feel the same way about the project at Hampton Station? The feels are similar relative to site conditions at opening and the Commons is much more convenient to downtown.

Hampton Station in my opinion is a bit off the beaten path but near the SRC.  They seem selfaware of the need to let people know they exist though.  Isnt or wasnt there a big sign/billboard for them?  Letting customers know where you are and having roads that look like are leading to a open business just seem like good business to me.  I like the romantic ideal of off the beaten path and word of mouth and best kept secret but if it was my business on the line, Id want a sign, a paved road, lighting, and parking and this goes double if the business if out of site down a dirt road several streets removed from main st.

Edited by gvegascple