Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

2 hours ago, GVLover said:

Unity Park remains the project I look most forward most to over the coming years; so thank you for the shots Gman.

Same here.  This is something that everyone will be able to enjoy.   Its really going to become a central park like area attracting people from all walks of life.   Between people playing with or walking dogs, people getting sun, morning yoga and fitness classes, riding bikes, playing frisbee, kids playing, artists painting,  etc it is just going to be so alive.  The city skyline in the background is going to be beautiful too.  I can see this being something that attracts another corporate headquarters or two as bumping up the quality of life more seems to draw more talented employees and convinces existing companies to reconsider their current digs.  This will be a great place for live music and mini food and art festivals and craft shows or outdoor movies.  I really can't wait and it seems to be very well designed (other than getting that tower higher which from the 100 foot photos, it does seem to be just below where the views begin)

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 3

On 12/13/2019 at 10:50 AM, vicupstate said:

That is why the city is proposing a zoning overlay for the entire area in and around the park. 

Is that what the UP-NCO designation is? it does look a little bit awkwardly  wedged in at this location.  I see its limited to 45 fee t tall here if that is the case.  I wonder if that is to not block the view from the tower?   this spot, since its developer owned I feel like it maybe is going to be hindered by that height limit.  It seems somewhat  low and  with 15 units per acre, if that is how its going to be bound, seems to be too simple and unassuming for here.  If its going to be a development on the edge of the park, it would be cool to see something town-center like (Similar to how it is in Reston VA. with public use restaurants and shops and some condos apts with some height above them).  The park would be a great spot to put a hotel and a future parking garage nearby as well, is there an area that takes this into account?  That might make the need for the observation tower to be taller still though.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

Same here.  This is something that everyone will be able to enjoy.   Its really going to become a central park like area attracting people from all walks of life.   Between people playing with or walking dogs, people getting sun, morning yoga and fitness classes, riding bikes, playing frisbee, kids playing, artists painting,  etc it is just going to be so alive.  The city skyline in the background is going to be beautiful too.  I can see this being something that attracts another corporate headquarters or two as bumping up the quality of life more seems to draw more talented employees and convinces existing companies to reconsider their current digs.  This will be a great place for live music and mini food and art festivals and craft shows or outdoor movies.  I really can't wait and it seems to be very well designed (other than getting that tower higher which from the 100 foot photos, it does seem to be just below where the views begin)

51 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

Is that what the UP-NCO designation is? it does look a little bit awkwardly  wedged in at this location.  I see its limited to 45 fee t tall here if that is the case.  I wonder if that is to not block the view from the tower?   this spot, since its developer owned I feel like it maybe is going to be hindered by that height limit.  It seems somewhat  low and  with 15 units per acre, if that is how its going to be bound, seems to be too simple and unassuming for here.  If its going to be a development on the edge of the park, it would be cool to see something town-center like (Similar to how it is in Reston VA. with public use restaurants and shops and some condos apts with some height above them).  The park would be a great spot to put a hotel and a future parking garage nearby as well, is there an area that takes this into account?  That might make the need for the observation tower to be taller still though.

Excellent posts, now you're talking!  :good:

• Like 1

I was just reading through the history section of the Unity Park website. The area certainly has an interesting past. Beginning in the 60's, there was much traction for a downtown loop expressway, connecting 185 to 385, that would have run through this area of downtown. The idea was dropped in 1974. We really dodged a bullet there. 

The City approves the state Highway Department's plans to build a causeway through Meadowbrook Park to route the Downtown Loop expressway. This option means the department needs only 1.75 acres rather than the original 3.8 acres necessary if the road had been built on the ground. Nonetheless, City Manager John Dullea pronounces Meadowbrook Park “destroyed.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, LBT said:

The ground elevation at Unity Park is so low and flat that I hope it can become visually interesting. Falls Park has far greater natural advantages of slope and water features. Obviously it can be done but it requires effort to accomplish. 

I think it will be visually interesting.  From the plans that have been published so far, the various parts of the park seem to be segmented well, the paths curve, there is vegetation helping create zones, the playground has some elevation to it, there is the bridge, the tower, areas broken up by taller trees by the river, the baseball field, the commons, the splashzone and the large open spaces.  The large open flat spaces are the centerpiece in my opinion.  its a different kind of park than falls park, which is a perfect compliment to what we have.  Very well done so far on paper, cant wait to see it take shape.

17 hours ago, Exile said:

"We're literally going to bulldoze the Reedy River and make it more natural..."

Interesting statement.

Actually, what they plan to do is to undo a previous bulldozing of the river to return it to its natural course.

I thought that was an interesting statement also. And I thought they were keeping the current route of the river and then making the original Reedy River alignment into a wetlands park? 

1 hour ago, Den2Gvl said:

I thought that was an interesting statement also. And I thought they were keeping the current route of the river and then making the original Reedy River alignment into a wetlands park? 

its possible that could still be the case.  Maybe that is literally what they will be doing, using bulldozers to soften and pull out the banks making the path more shallow and wider as it passes through (like a wetland maybe?)   Anyone know if this will help with the silt and coloration of the water as it passes through? Will it be more clear? Will the harmful bacteria counts improve? I suspect the latter is from the geese though.

Edited by gvegascple

4 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

It will definitely help with flood control. Remember the downtown blackout back in the 2000's (?) that was caused by the power substation flooding? 

I dont remember the blackout, but I do remember that flood.  I wonder what impact this change to the river will have towards attracting more diverse wildlife?  This part of the project sounds kind of boring at first when compared to everything else, but it could turn out to be a real star of the park.   

• 4 weeks later...