Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, SVL said:

So I guess this is the redesign of this?

NewPark-8

There is a bigger picture somewhere. If so, the new design is blah and I much prefer the original as it has way more character and enduring charm. This new one is just a standard concrete bridge with a couple sticks . I read somewhere it will save 1 million dollars, which is a lot of money, but so far the park seems to be scrimping on all the major pieces. I think the planners need to decide what they really want here. I would rather do away with the 5 story "tower" and put that money into a first class bridge rather than doing a half job on both.

Here's another :

Unity Park's pedestrian bridge along Reedy River will bear ...

Edited by distortedlogic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Decorative street lighting starting to go in along Hudson Street. Work has started on the other side of the river. Saw Knox White touring one of the affordable housing development sites with a few other people today also. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GVLover said:

This is really cool and I like the 148 units focused on senior living for people who have grown up in these neighborhoods to be able to stay near family and so close to the park.    It also seems like this land would be worth a hell of lot more than $8 Million.

A map depicting properties donated by the city and private interests for affordable housing developments north of the footprint of Unity Park.

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gvegascple said:

This is really cool and I like the 148 units focused on senior living for people who have grown up in these neighborhoods to be able to stay near family and so close to the park.    It also seems like this land would be worth a hell of lot more than $8 Million.

Greenville News is a bad, bad newspaper (albeit one that was gutted by Gannett, shame unto them) and so they are probably using tax value which is a bad, bad indicator of market value

• Like 1

Check out Fox Carolina’s Facebook page to see a city update on Unity Park. The video is over two hours long. 

-$10.23 million so far given in private donations.

-161 meetings held so far with donors wanting to give. Out of those 161 meetings, the donor at each meeting said yes to giving money which is a 100% turnover rate.

-Phase 1 of private funding is complete. Phase 2 is on going and is mainly funding for the wetlands. 

-More money has been raised during Covid or in the past year ($3.41 million) than any other time fundraising has been ongoing which started in Spring 2018.

-All naming rights in phase 1 (seven of them) have been spoken for.

-$1.3 million raised so far for observation tower.  Major 11 month fundraising campaign to launch July 1st to raise another $3 million for it. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

An interesting note from this article says the development side of the park could include housing,  a hotel, and a college campus. Wonder what that could be. 

8 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

An interesting note from this article says the development side of the park could include housing,  a hotel, and a college campus. Wonder what that could be. 

Maybe USC Upstate is reviving their plans from almost a decade ago. 

• Like 1

Half of the money has been raised for the 10 story observation tower so far. $4.5 million out of $9 million. Height apparently got increased back to its original form. Also, the foundations have been poured for all three pedestrian bridges: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/news/unity-park-greenvilles-largest-civic-project-in-decades-prepped-for-its-biggest-steps/article_9c3f007a-8726-11eb-8824-331c22f6db81.html

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Half of the money has been raised for the 10 story observation tower so far. $4.5 million out of $9 million. Height apparently got increased back to its original form. Also, the foundations have been poured for all three pedestrian bridges: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/news/unity-park-greenvilles-largest-civic-project-in-decades-prepped-for-its-biggest-steps/article_9c3f007a-8726-11eb-8824-331c22f6db81.html

I honestly think it would be better to either forget the "tower" altogether or at least list it as a potential future addition. It continues to be presented as an "iconic or signature tower contributing to the skyline and showing views of downtown and the mountains." We all know a 10 story tower is not going to accomplish any of that, unless views of tree branches and the park lawns count. I would much rather them put the money (10MM) into making the rest of the park first rate; like enhancing the bridges, building a truly unique destination playground, a nicer visitor center, more unique things for people to see and do. It doesn't make any sense to spend that kind of money on a short bland "tower" that doesn't accomplish its purpose, while short changing other areas of the park. I definitely love the vision and goals of the park and I think the tower ideas is fantastic, but either do it right or don't do it at all; but don't waste the money on something that can't do what it was intended for.

Also, spending 600k for design seems like highway robbery. :shok:

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LBT said:

I don't disagree on the Go Big Or Go Home stance on the tower. Falls Park has enormous advantages with respect to natural topography, the falls, and of course Liberty Bridge. This site has far greater obstacles by being flat and low with a straight and skinny stretch of the river. I hope the budget and designers are up to the challenge to make this new park stunning in its own way and not just a glorified playground.

Same here. I want this observation tower to be like the Eye of Sauron and nothing less. :D With the city getting millions of dollars from the Covid relief bill, hopefully they’ll have more money in their budget to spend on this park than originally thought.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 3