Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

I just discovered this gem not too long ago called "Place of Peace" at Furman University. I'm sure many of you know about it, but for those who don't it was built in Japan I believe in the late 80's and moved to Furman University by a Japanese family that lives both in Greenville and Japan.

I know it's not part of the current plan at all, but I think if the tower can't be built to a satisfactory height, it would be brilliant to once again move this Buddahist Temple but this time to Unity Park. Truly, it deserves to be seen by more people. 

It's a much, much better attraction than a 80 ft tower IMO. 

20081014_PlaceofPeace-1-1024x576.jpg

7 hours ago, GVLover said:

I just discovered this gem not too long ago called "Place of Peace" at Furman University. I'm sure many of you know about it, but for those who don't it was built in Japan I believe in the late 80's and moved to Furman University by a Japanese family that lives both in Greenville and Japan.

I know it's not part of the current plan at all, but I think if the tower can't be built to a satisfactory height, it would be brilliant to once again move this Buddahist Temple but this time to Unity Park. Truly, it deserves to be seen by more people. 

It's a much, much better attraction than a 80 ft tower IMO. 

20081014_PlaceofPeace-1-1024x576.jpg

The family that owned this Japanese Temple donated it to Furman University, which hopefully, will never allow it to be moved. It is there through the Asian Studies program at Furman and is located adjacent to the Asian Garden. It will never be moved again. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Galley said:

What's the deal with all the trees along the riverbank that they stripped bare?  Will they not be removed?

There was a video put out regarding those. They were removed from the site, stripped, and then driven into the ground. I believe they’re creating habitats?

• Like 2

On 8/14/2021 at 9:57 AM, greenjoesc said:

I believe they are called Snags and will decompose naturally.  They are there now to create habitats. 

https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/living/snags#:~:text=Birds%2C small mammals%2C and other wildlife use snags,and dead branches can provide similar wildlife value. 

pretty cool.  I really like how both people and animals are being thought of.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Progress update:

1. Over the past couple of days, they've planted trees on the north side of the SRT within the park. It's a substantial number of trees, and really help define the spaces that are to come. 

2. Apparently the foundation for the Auro Bridge was insufficient . They spent yesterday jack hammering out the concrete and demolishing one of the footings on the south side of the Reedy.

Question: are there plans to redo the trail between Unity Park and River Street? The rubberized portion needs replacement at a minimum, but it would be nice to have the look and feel of the trail through Unity Park continued. Additionally, it would be great to have more of the trail lighted. 

• Like 3