Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

47 minutes ago, Exile said:

Can't wait to see the finished product.

They're currently developing what, 60 acres or so? Is there a prospectus of what land a full 160-acre park would occupy? Or is the extra 100 acres likely not going to happen?

This is one of the initial pictures. As you can see, the "boundaries" of the "park" are much more broad than they are now and include a lot of residential, commercial, and current green space.  The current scope is just 60 acres and is much more well defined. Kind of odd that they presented this as a 160-acre park from the onset though.

image.png.23e21811f9ffcf19a36f626ef83c18bc.png

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 8:08 AM, GvilleSC said:

I like their visioning for this area and the inclusion of some retail. Hopefully we'll see a developer take interest in several of these parcels to get things rolling. 

Application by MHK Architecture for a MULTI-FAMILY DEVELOPMENT on approximately 0.97 acre located at MAYBERRY STREET AND DELANO DRIVE for 70 apartment units (“The Delano”) (TM# 0055000200115).

15 hours ago, gman430 said:

Application by MHK Architecture for a MULTI-FAMILY DEVELOPMENT on approximately 0.97 acre located at MAYBERRY STREET AND DELANO DRIVE for 70 apartment units (“The Delano”) (TM# 0055000200115).

Is that area still part of the flood plain?   Note that the warehouse building that includes Southernside Brewing is elevated.

16 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Mayberry & Delano Drive 70 apartments

Me likey !

Note there is a rooftop restaurant!

Excellent! Glad to see that kind of height right at the park. It's also going to give Amtrak riders something to look at as they pass through Greenville. The look of the building is also somewhat interesting. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GVLover said:

Never quite anticipated such a tall  building being proposed on this side of Unity Park so soon, but here we are. The observation tower, at its current proposed height, definitely is going to be unimpressive. I hope that the City is working behind the scene for a big donor on that one in particular. I can't understand for the life of me why BMW isn't jumping on the opportunity to name the observation tower and provide funds to make it a landmark because just about every other major corporation in the area has already donated to the project in one way or another.  

Great post. I was just thinking about that observation tower as well; it would barely rise above this building. I think that is going to have to be rethought a bit. Good point about BMW, I hadn't thought about them or even realized they weren't involved in some way, but that would be a good company to get some donation from. So much potential with this park...

On 10/6/2021 at 5:15 PM, gman430 said:

I love it also. Much taller than I was expecting. Hopefully the DRB doesn’t screw it up if it has to go before them also. Should really help the expand the skyline. 

This area would be a great spot for a hotel as well.  Could get double duty out of any associated parking garage.  I would also like to see how downtown has mixed use  (restaurants and retail on the street level) expanded here.

Edited by gvegascple

I continue to be excited about the opening of Unity Park and the true impact it will make for the City as a whole but I'm also deeply concerned about the lack of affordable housing being proposed in the area. Greenville does have significant leverage as far as how those 8 acres of land are developed, as the Post and Courier article in the post above suggests.

All options must include, at minimum, 40% affordable housing. They're damn right they are going to need a good negotiator, otherwise one of the main purposes of the park really will be in jeapoardy -- bridging racial divide as African Americans will be priced out of the area. I'm excited for drone shots of cranes over Unity *AND* Downtown at the same time, but it's important the city keeps focus at this pivotal point that Unity wasn't strictly designed for the upper middle/upper class, but a place of UNITY. 

Downtown is pristine, and I think the City has largely accepted its position that it will be unaffordable for most people to live there. Is Unity going to be 15% affordable housing, 85% unaffordable? Are African-Americans, who historically have lived in this area and have provided input to the story of this park, still going to be able to *realistically* be able to live in this area over the next 10 years? 

Mayor Know White said:

“If you go back to Falls Park, the city built Falls Park and it’s a great public amenity all along the river. But the private aspect of it — we did not even purport to have control over it. So on the private side you’ve got condos, apartments, restaurants, and beautiful spaces, but inclusive it is not. You don’t have a lot of affordability there.”

Hopefully the entire city council remembers those words and applies them to Unity moving forward.

Work has ramped up this week on the southwest side of the river. It's the most equipment I've seen on that side (and actively moving dirt). Is there a date set for them to cut a ribbon and open the park? I imagine it would coincide with spring planting and the greening up of the trees and grass post-winter? 

• Like 1