Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

A Post and Courier article provides updates on the park. Among the highlights:

• Spring 2022 opening of the park
  • Auro Bridge will have "monumental lighting"
  • The observation tower has been named "Honor Tower" and is being designed by Harper. They're currently working on two proposals that will go before City Council in January. One is aluminum and there other is wood. 

I imagine the reference to aluminum and wood is referring to the cladding of the tower. I sure hope the wood proposal is pleasing and selected to compliment the canopies and play equipment on the north side of the river. Nonetheless, we should have some more details soon! 

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

A Post and Courier article provides updates on the park. Among the highlights:

• Spring 2022 opening of the park
  • Auro Bridge will have "monumental lighting"
  • The observation tower has been named "Honor Tower" and is being designed by Harper. They're currently working on two proposals that will go before City Council in January. One is aluminum and there other is wood. 

I imagine the reference to aluminum and wood is referring to the cladding of the tower. I sure hope the wood proposal is pleasing and selected to compliment the canopies and play equipment on the north side of the river. Nonetheless, we should have some more details soon! 

Qwestion on behalf of apaladin....will  Honor Tower be sufficiently tall enough to require the use of a tower crane?  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 4:36 PM, vicupstate said:

Mayberry Street Presentation

City will be taking over control of Mayberry Street from SCDOT to gain better control of it. 

Glad to see the city is taking ownership of more streets these days.  Pendleton and Dunbar would be my favorites for the next ones.   

Pendleton seems to be reaching a tipping point if it hasn't already.   It is one of the areas that to me seems just about to blow up and see a lot of development.

Any update on the Borden building?

From linked article:

“Assuming Furman finalizes the site’s historic status with the National Park Service, the design should be completed and groundbreaking should commence by the end of 2021, with a completion date set for 4th quarter of 2022.”

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/long-vacant-borden-building-to-undergo-historic-renovation/

21E8B453-CABC-41C4-9869-F93837647492.webp

Edited by GVLover

11 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

I still MUCH prefer the original bridge design.

As do I. The City is anticipating Unity Park will be the largest tourism driver in Greenville, but I think that crown remains Falls Park based off the bridge and falls alone. Unity Park is going to be very nice for our residents, Falls Park will remain what attracts visitors. 

• Like 1

Really like all the funding being provided by local companies that definitely benefit from the beauty of Greenville when attracting workers.  Seems like the only 2 big remaining items left are the tower and wetlands space.

Who within the community is even left? BMW is the obvious one...

This was just posted regarding the welcome center: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbjBJR0a_7A

1 hour ago, gman said:

I love everything going on with this project, but there is something that bothers me about a hospital system spending this kind of money on marketing. 

Thank you! It's not like everybody doesn't already know who PRISMA is, and I doubt anyone is going to "choose" them b/c their name is on a visitor center. I mean, it's nice for them to give money to the park and all but personally I wish they would get their billing department worked out. I have been fighting an incorrect bill with them for over a year and getting nowhere. I guess I will be helping pay for that visitor center with my rip off bill. :(

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

Thank you! It's not like everybody doesn't already know who PRISMA is, and I doubt anyone is going to "choose" them b/c their name is on a visitor center. I mean, it's nice for them to give money to the park and all but personally I wish they would get their billing department worked out. I have been fighting an incorrect bill with them for over a year and getting nowhere. I guess I will be helping pay for that visitor center with my rip off bill. :(

I also hate it but this is an extremely common national thing. I mean they sponsor Clemson's headsets for football. Many pro teams have hospital sponsors as well. The NY Giants for example dropped a NY hospital sponsor for a NJ sponsor in September of this past year. In Tampa the lightning are sponsored by advent (a non profit healthcare system). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tigers81 said:

I also hate it but this is an extremely common national thing. I mean they sponsor Clemson's headsets for football. Many pro teams have hospital sponsors as well. The NY Giants for example dropped a NY hospital sponsor for a NJ sponsor in September of this past year. In Tampa the lightning are sponsored by advent (a non profit healthcare system). 

A lot of the sports team affiliations also translate to their doctors being used for sports medicine purposes. I'm not sure how much of that is a direct cash donation to the team, or if it's services in kind.  But in that circumstance, it DOES translate to work, cash flow, and effective advertising for the healthcare system. In effect, the doctors you choose to do your rehab with are the same doctors helping get (insert player name) back on the field/court/pitch.