Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

1 hour ago, Galley said:

Any word on the observation tower?

I've been following this, what they need is a donor to fund it.  I think they are counting on someone coming through once the park opens - or maybe they are sitting on an announcement to create excitement once it does open.  Either way, if you've noticed, they've left it off many of the maps of the park.  It's probably a couple years away from happening regardless.

The other piece that has been quiet that needs funding is the wetlands portion with raised walkways.

4 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I've been following this, what they need is a donor to fund it.  I think they are counting on someone coming through once the park opens - or maybe they are sitting on an announcement to create excitement once it does open.  Either way, if you've noticed, they've left it off many of the maps of the park.  It's probably a couple years away from happening regardless.

The other piece that has been quiet that needs funding is the wetlands portion with raised walkways.

Where are the wetlands going?

Also, the city said we would hear more about the observation tower at the beginning of this year. I have a feeling they are sitting on a donor announcement, just waiting for the appropriate time. 

16 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Where are the wetlands going?

Also, the city said we would hear more about the observation tower at the beginning of this year. I have a feeling they are sitting on a donor announcement, just waiting for the appropriate time. 

image.png.db0a14d6158a19765a08d5862abc49e0.png

It looks pretty simple, so it may already be good to go. It does appear the city is working on something in this space.. maybe the parking lot?

Also I found this blurb in an article from last year regarding the tower

"The Hughes Agency, which is heading up fundraising efforts, has raised $1.3 million of the anticipated $4.3 million needed for the tower. 

The Hughes Agency will spend April and May preparing marketing materials and working with MKSK to prepare more renderings, then kicking off an 11-month fundraising campaign in July, said spokesperson Bill Fox. That completion presents a date that would coincide with the anticipated opening of the park in April or May 2022. "

So actually perhaps they are basically just sitting on an announcement

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

image.png.db0a14d6158a19765a08d5862abc49e0.png

It looks pretty simple, so it may already be good to go. It does appear the city is working on something in this space.. maybe the parking lot?

Also I found this blurb in an article from last year regarding the tower

"The Hughes Agency, which is heading up fundraising efforts, has raised $1.3 million of the anticipated $4.3 million needed for the tower. 

The Hughes Agency will spend April and May preparing marketing materials and working with MKSK to prepare more renderings, then kicking off an 11-month fundraising campaign in July, said spokesperson Bill Fox. That completion presents a date that would coincide with the anticipated opening of the park in April or May 2022. "

So actually perhaps they are basically just sitting on an announcement

Thanks for the wetland plan! Yea- the permeable parking lot is basically in, but there are no paths over there yet. I did read that Duke Energy gave $500,000 for the wetland component a while back. 

As for the tower, City Council is supposed to be reviewing pricing from Harper and deciding if they’re going wood or metal for the cladding. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Thanks for the wetland plan! Yea- the permeable parking lot is basically in, but there are no paths over there yet. I did read that Duke Energy gave $500,000 for the wetland component a while back. 

As for the tower, City Council is supposed to be reviewing pricing from Harper and deciding if they’re going wood or metal for the cladding. 

I would go with wood since it will be no higher than a tree house. :rofl:

12 minutes ago, apaladin said:

I would go with wood since it will be no higher than a tree house. :rofl:

See what $60 million gets you. :D Even the visitors center looks bland and boring. No imagination in the architecture of this park whatsoever. Falls Park blows Unity Park out of the water.

Edited by gman430

• 2 weeks later...

The north side of the park is largely completed, but I’m curious how much of the original vision for the south side of the park will come to fruition? I never quite realized basketball courts were planned; didn’t the city do a land swap deal with the Kroc Center for the land where said courts are planned according to this site map?

4EEB6E2F-3A44-4695-997F-A9C7F719F8FB.webp

Edited by GVLover

7 hours ago, GVLover said:

The north side of the park is largely completed, but I’m curious how much of the original vision for the south side of the park will come to fruition? I never quite realized basketball courts were planned; didn’t the city do a land swap deal with the Kroc Center for the land where said courts are planned according to this site map?

4EEB6E2F-3A44-4695-997F-A9C7F719F8FB.webp

How old is this plan? It seems pretty dated. 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

All they have to do is finish the playground and the baseball field. How long can that take? 

I didn't read the schedule of opening events to say that May was the full opening of the park, but that may be misinterpretation on my part. I take it that the splash pad, playgrounds, and probably the green space on the north side of the river will be fully open for public use.

Edited by GvilleSC

It doesn't list everything put does mention the playgrounds and splash pad being open then.

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/civicalerts.aspx?AID=2681

What was once "Spring 2022" now has an official date. 

The grand opening for Unity Park, including the playgrounds and splashpad, is scheduled for Thursday, May 19. A park-wide community celebration will be held on Saturday, May 28.

The opening of the 60-acre park will be the culmination of two years of construction to transform a long-neglected area of the city into a world-class destination. Unity Park’s features and amenities are extensive and include:

• Four playgrounds and a water feature
  • Three pedestrian bridges crossing the Reedy 
  • A nine-acre green space
  • An extension of the Swamp Rabbit Trail

Park construction also included the restoration of a half-mile section of the Reedy River and adjacent wetlands.

Additional events planned to celebrate completion of the park include a West Greenville and Southernside Reunion, a Juneteenth celebration and the dedication of a plaza honoring Lila Mae Brock, who dedicated her life's work to the Southernside community.

• Like 1

I am not sure I understand how they are doing the splash pad. It looks like it is just concrete; but water and concrete do not really go together when it comes to running children. Shouldn't it be more of a rubberized or foam surface?  Also, it just looks like a small V shaped section, I envisioned something a little more... creative; something along the lines of the splash feature at the Gardens in Columbia.