Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

Listened to the City Council Work Session on the budget tonight, sounds like $2.3MM of the $5.5MM required private funding for the Tower has been raised so far.   The agreement with Hughes goes until November, so the funding needs to be in place by then.  Mayor White seemed to be pretty confident that based off on-going discussions there should be no issue on reaching the funding goal.

One comment he had after some pushback from Dowe on the cost of the tower and he supported the price of the tower due to private funding support with this throw-in comment; "There will be an announcement in a couple days for the largest amount of private money raised"

Guess we'll likely hear something this week?  I think both Prisma Health and Michelin have both put $1MM forward so far.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

12 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Why is the tower if you want to call it that costing so much?

For the same reason everything right now is costing so much. Seen gas, food, and home prices lately? Inflation is through the roof. 

My guess is that it's Scansource, Synnex, United Community Bank or BMW in regards to the largest donation yet. 

• Like 1

It will be 125 feet tall and cost $11 million to build: 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2022/04/28/unity-park-observation-honor-tower-plans-millions-funding-greenville-sc-views-first-responders/9538076002/ $5.5 million from the city budget to be spent on it. A big waste of taxpayer dollars if you ask me.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I don't have a problem with the amount of money or the concept of a tower itself, but I am not feeling the design of it.  Maybe it will look better in person but I hope this is something that looks good initially and also ages well. I'm not certain that it will.  

I’d welcome a return to the original design as it was much more gracious IMO. That said, my mind is blown that BMW opted for the wetlands instead of having their name on a tower, especially being the parks largest donor. I’m not a huge fan of the name “Honor Tower”, and so I’m hoping that’s just a placeholder. 

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 1

I'm so torn on this proposal.  As others have said; I love the concept, but I am torn about how this is shaking out. 11MM is a LOT of money. If we're going to spend that on a tower, it better serve it's purpose, and I am still not sure this will.  What else could the 11MM be used for and how else might it enhance the park? How do we balance cost vs effectiveness? How much more would it take to make the tower 50ft or 100ft taller? If they are already doing all the site work, foundation, renting equipment, hiring builders, etc, would it really cost that much more to make it taller? 125 feet just doesn't seem like it will be tall enough to serve the purpose so why pay 11MM for a tower that doesn't do what it is supposed to? I am sure they will be careful about not planting tress that get tall nearby but how long before the tower is obsolete? I mean the new Delano will be 111 feet tall already and what if it is on higher ground? There goes the view in that direction. Plus it looks like the viewing platform will be from below the top, so maybe 115 feet up? It just feels like we're throwing something up to try to deliver on a great concept without really thinking it through or doing due diligence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Can’t fix the potholes but we can afford to spend $5.5 million on this. Priorities. 

Hospitality tax can only be spent on tourism related things. Again, I asked where are tourism dollars better spent than Unity Park right now?

The only thing remotely close is Laurens Road expansion of the SRT, but pretty sure that's all funded already.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GVLover said:

I’d welcome a return to the original design as it was much more gracious IMO. That said, my mind is blown that BMW opted for the wetlands instead of having their name on a tower, especially being the parks largest donor. I’m not a huge fan of the name “Honor Tower”, and so I’m hoping that’s just a placeholder. 

Was this the design you are talking about? https://twitter.

coUnity-Park-View-Birdseye-1068x601.jpg

The article this went with listed the height at 120 feet then as well, but obviously a different base. Was there another earlier rendering? I think I prefer this one as well, but would need to be taller than 120ft.

https://greenvillejournal.com/news/greenvilles-newest-park-once-a-place-of-division-will-be-a-place-of-unity/

Also, recall this video from the mayor on the view from the tower

Not exactly what most of us imagined; part of Paris mtn and the tops of some buildings.

1 minute ago, distortedlogic said:

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Can’t fix the potholes but we can afford to spend $5.5 million on this. Priorities. 

Call Mr. McMaster and the legislature about the potholes. By the way, there is enough money to do both. The city has its priorities in order. It's the State of S.C. that does not.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Was this the design you are talking about? https://twitter.

coUnity-Park-View-Birdseye-1068x601.jpg

The article this went with listed the height at 120 feet then as well, but obviously a different base. Was there another earlier rendering? I think I prefer this one as well, but would need to be taller than 120ft.

https://greenvillejournal.com/news/greenvilles-newest-park-once-a-place-of-division-will-be-a-place-of-unity/

Also, recall this video from the mayor on the view from the tower

Not exactly what most of us imagined; part of Paris mtn and the tops of some buildings.

Wow! Could see just ss much from ground level. Trees, a warehouse and a parking lot. Wow! Just Wow! Where else you gonna see this? :rofl:

1 hour ago, apaladin said:

Wow! Could see just ss much from ground level. Trees, a warehouse and a parking lot. Wow! Just Wow! Where else you gonna see this? :rofl:

Poinsett Highway. :D Maybe they should put this “tower” along that road instead. It actually would be very fitting for this boondoggle. 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Th negativity on here is shocking. 

We could probably say the same about some of the comments in the Bridgeway Station thread!

Honestly though, I don't see it as "negative." I think we are just discussing legitimate concerns about the development and trying to better understand the goals of some of the elements; particularly the tower. I mean, what else are us urban geeks going to do on a forum about urban development? I can see how some people might take some of my posts as negative, especially since I tend to be a bit critical of architecture and low thought development, but that is only because I want to see higher quality development over quantity in general. I am also just as quick to compliment stuff I like, such as the Bohemian, Bridgeway, and others. It's just opinions, we don't really have any clout; at least I don't, but it's fun to discuss if you like this kind of stuff, which we do.

• Like 1

I wish they'd take the long view on this tower. Obviously the park is intended to last for generations to come, so why not build it the way that some cathedrals are still built? Come up with a design that transcends trendiness, that's built to last, but that can be built in stages that are "complete" in themselves. If it takes 50+ years to get it done, so be it. 

This is all rhetorical, of course. I know full well why we have to have it and have it now.