Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

3 minutes ago, SVL said:

The city does a good job of providing bags and trash cans to get rid of it.  I'll never understand why I see so much dog mess left behind.  

Just as some people cough into the air without covering their mouths, people who don’t pick up their dog poop think it’s their god given right to leave poop wherever they please with zero remorse. 

1 hour ago, GVLover said:

Just as some people cough into the air without covering their mouths, people who don’t pick up their dog poop think it’s their god given right to leave poop wherever they please with zero remorse. 

The ones I think are worse are those that bag it and then just leave it there on the trail.  Who are they expecting to pick it up?

Yeah, I rode my bike through there on Sunday and it is starting to impress me more now that it’s getting more complete. The yellow flowers along the banks of the Reedy are a really nice touch. Night and day compared to what used to be there for sure. 

*oh and needs drone pics*

:whistling:

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I've always been a big believer in the park, but my one reservation was always with the playground with the lack of equipment instead focusing more on natural landscapes and hills and stuff.

In my opinion, my concern was completely unfounded.  It looks absolutely great and super unique. I think the kiddos are going to have a ton of fun running all over it.  Just more fuel for the thought that the leaders of this city know what they're doing for these bigger projects and to give them some trust (*cough cough*.. the tower)

To be fair to yourself, all concepts of the play spaces were very limited in their scope. They certainly were not inspiring. This probably has to do with initial images being limited to initial imagination/scope versus the reality of successful fundraising enabling a great final product. To your other point -- I agree that the City generally knows what they're doing when implementing these long-studied and planned visions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danmire said:

New sculpture just past the train bridge and views up and down the river from the spinx bridge.  Park is really looking awesome.  

IMG_7653[1].JPG

2130003519_IMG_76551.JPG

1561996167_IMG_76561.JPG

The artist that did that sculpture was at Artisphere. Beautiful piece of art. 

1 hour ago, GVLover said:

I can’t understand for the life of me why Auro Bridge wasn’t painted. 

The point of that type of steel is that once it forms its layer of oxidation (rust) on the outside the oxidation protects it (like aluminum). It means that you don't have to spend money on keeping it painted and it just always looks like that. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Horatio Nelson said:

The point of that type of steel is that once it forms its layer of oxidation (rust) on the outside the oxidation protects it (like aluminum). It means that you don't have to spend money on keeping it painted and it just always looks like that. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

My problem is I loved the original concept of the bridge, and I’m going to compare “Auro Bridge” to “Liberty Bridge”, which isn’t the fault of the designers and engineers, for some time simply because Liberty is iconic while Auro is not. The “Auro Bridge” nameplate only adds to my disdain because it looks completely out of place. Even the suspension cables look like an after thought to me compared to the rest of the bridge IMO. I’m not against weathered steel, but this bridge looks like steel beams welded together that could frankly be built anywhere instead of something unique in a $70m park. I’m hoping my opinion changes once I have the opportunity to walk across it. I’m looking forward to seeing the skyline grow, and the view we’ll get from the bridge either way!

That said, “Sealevel Systems” of Liberty made a donation to the park of $250,000 for a pedestrian trail from Southernside to Unity Park. 

2723E6F5-F51D-4A2E-88E7-26F1D3041AAF.jpeg

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 2