Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

I heard Unity Park will now be closed 2 weeks for maintenance and repair? Is this true?

This is why I thought the money for the Tower should have initially been used to maintain the park. Thousands of people already go every weekend. It will need a lot of TLC-$ to go through the initial growing pains.  And I understand local neighborhoods argument that "a promise is a promise." But at what cost? People can't use the park now. We've lost the forest for the trees on this issue. Why not push Tower construction to a later date when the park is established and fully functional. Get the ground down right first, and then build on it? 

As an aside:

1. As a parent of young children. I have no idea who designed the splash-pad area, but they clearly do not have young children. Putting a rock garden there so kids can either walk (and then fall) on them, or grab rocks and then take them to the hilly playground to roll them down the hills (hitting other children) is something that should have been easily foreseen. Also, the entrance to the pad is also backwards. People are trampling through the mulched / planted area from the main sidewalk because otherwise they have to walk around the children's area to get there. 

2. No Shade? One water fountain? I LOVE all the young trees that were planted. But this is South Carolina. Limited shade structures? It will be a decade before these young trees render any real shade benefits. I'm glad they've added some very temporary structures. But again, would I rather have a small "Tower" or a lot of shade and water fountains so I can enjoy the park. I'd pick shade and water- every day.  

3. (edit for additional thought). Someone needs to talk to grounds crew. They're making the typical mistake of cutting the grass WAY too short. Cut too short then the grass will dry and die. I guess they do this to lengthen the period between cuts? That's lazy. I'd rather have slightly taller / wilder grass then a field of dried up grass and dirt patches. It's okay to have clover and dandelions growing - as long as the area remains green.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/12/191219074744.htm

Edited by ingvegas

14 minutes ago, ingvegas said:

I heard Unity Park will now be closed 2 weeks for maintenance and repair? Is this true?

This is why I thought the money for the Tower should have initially been used to maintain the park. Thousands of people already go every weekend. It will need a lot of TLC-$ to go through the initial growing pains.  And I understand local neighborhoods argument that "a promise is a promise." But at what cost? People can't use the park now. We've lost the forest for the trees on this issue. Why not push Tower construction to a later date when the park is established and fully functional. Get the ground down right first, and then build on it? 

As an aside:

1. As a parent of young children. I have no idea who designed the splash-pad area, but they clearly do not have young children. Putting a rock garden there so kids can either walk (and then fall) on them, or grab rocks and then take them to the hilly playground to roll them down the hills (hitting other children) is something that should have been easily foreseen. Also, the entrance to the pad is also backwards. People are trampling through the mulched / planted area from the main sidewalk because otherwise they have to walk around the children's area to get there. 

2. No Shade? One water fountain? I LOVE all the young trees that were planted. But this is South Carolina. Limited shade structures? It will be a decade before these young trees render any real shade benefits. I'm glad they've added some very temporary structures. But again, would I rather have a small "Tower" or a lot of shade and water fountains so I can enjoy the park. I'd pick shade and water- every day.  

3. (edit for additional thought). Someone needs to talk to grounds crew. They're making the typical mistake of cutting the grass WAY too short. Cut too short then the grass will dry and die. I guess they do this to lengthen the period between cuts? That's lazy. I'd rather have slightly taller / wilder grass then a field of dried up grass and dirt patches. It's okay to have clover and dandelions growing - as long as the area remains green.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/12/191219074744.htm

I've not heard about a 2-week closure of the park. Perhaps it's a portion of the park that may need repair, but I doubt the City is going to close the picnic shelters and greenspace in order to replace a valve at the splashpad or to re-attach some turf, etc. Do you have a link?

Regarding the shade debate: the City has stated multiple times that permanent shade structures are coming, but have not yet been delivered. Temporary umbrellas are in place for the time being. Give it some time. 

-----

They've painted a mural on the east face of the Welcome Center. It's currently covered awaiting a ceremony, I presume. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I've not heard about a 2-week closure of the park. Perhaps it's a portion of the park that may need repair, but I doubt the City is going to close the picnic shelters and greenspace in order to replace a valve at the splashpad or to re-attach some turf, etc. Do you have a link?

Regarding the shade debate: the City has stated multiple times that permanent shade structures are coming, but have not yet been delivered. Temporary umbrellas are in place for the time being. Give it some time. 

-----

They've painted a mural on the east face of the Welcome Center. It's currently covered awaiting a ceremony, I presume. 

Thank you, correction is needed. Just the splash pad will be closed. 

https://unityparkgreenville.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=2806

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Did they ever get the splash pad fixed on the riverfront near Hampton Inn? Thought I saw where it wasn't working either.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/unity-park-splash-pad-temporarily-closed/40298367

Elsewhere on here it was posted that the City Council just appropriated funds to repair the splashpad and fountain at Riverplace. I've not seen a date for that to start or completed. 

• Like 1

I have a mixed reaction to that play area. On the one hand, it is great to see families enjoying that section. On the other hand, 90% of the people in this giant park are all crammed into the kids play area. We certainly don't want Unity Park to look like a Six Flags.

3 hours ago, ingvegas said:

As an aside:

You make some good points that I echo. Yes, the splash pad will be closed for repairs; already. As I said before, I get that there will be problems with any new big venture but this is at least the second time it has been closed already. And I totally agree about the set up of the splash pad area not being all that kid friendly. The pad should be some type of foam or rubber instead of concrete (hence the term "pad"), and it doesn't seem very well laid out to me. Not trying to complain here, just find some of this a bit puzzling; surely some of the issues we are seeing could have been thought through before and during construction?

WYFF has been covering the opening of the park and had a special on the other night. In one of the segments they talked about The Commons expanding and that the big blue warehouse on the far end was about to get a massive makeover. Anybody have anymore info?

Edited by SVL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

It appears that they have staked out the footprint of the observation tower. Not for construction purposes, but probably for a marketing or PR product. 

Additionally, the basketball courts have been poured. 

81760D40-5D0F-4D15-ADFA-4C777EB44509.jpeg

Where is everybody? :blink: The park looks dead going off your pic.

16 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Hopefully this new sign is effective in directing cyclists. Some have never learned the function of brakes, nor awareness of being around people (and most importantly children) while riding. 

55085564-A613-4DEA-BB24-7C471B0CCA0F.jpeg

I wish they would learn how to use a bell as well

• Like 1