Jump to content

Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)


btoy

Recommended Posts


23 hours ago, gman430 said:

Construction has started on the wetlands project. 

Jordan Construction Company is the general contractor for the Honor Tower. AT&T, Erik Weir, and Carlton-Mercedes Benz have donated money towards it. 

Any idea how much of the $5.5M required private donations have been raised? Names only like those leads me to believe it's been less than $1M

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Any idea how much of the $5.5M required private donations have been raised? Names only like those leads me to believe it's been less than $1M

I don’t have a clue how much money has been raised for the tower so far unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Private funding goal for tower almost met. Seven figure donation for tower to be announced in early December: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/politics/planned-greenville-observation-tower-nears-5-5m-donation-goal/article_69488b8a-2a38-11ed-a719-c7ef4f782aeb.html

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

City of Greenville is live on Facebook currently... special announcement regarding Unity Tower (Mayor White, others, speaking)

 

Edit: the tower will be called the Thomas and Vivian A. Wong Honor Tower ($1 million donation), according to the article below, only $3mil of the $5.5mil in private donations has been secured so far

 https://greenvillejournal.com/community/1m-donation-from-thomas-and-vivian-wong-for-unity-park-honor-tower-greenville-sc/

Edited by NewlyUpstate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That Greenville Journal article is wrong. With this donation, all of the $5.5 million in private donations has been raised according to city council and Hughes Agency. In fact, more than the needed $5.5 million has been raised. Construction is slated to start in Spring 2023.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gman430 said:

That Greenville Journal article is wrong. With this donation, all of the $5.5 million in private donations has been raised. 

No trying to beat a dead horse, but I still think they would be better served to let this money accrue a bit more until they can afford to do the tower the right way.  This seems like a classic case of shortsightedly throwing something up to get it done without really thinking through the particulars.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

No trying to beat a dead horse, but I still think they would be better served to let this money accrue a bit more until they can afford to do the tower the right way.  This seems like a classic case of shortsightedly throwing something up to get it done without really thinking through the particulars.

Can you explain what you view as being "the right way"? Is it materials, simply the height, maybe the end user experience? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

That Greenville Journal article is wrong. With this donation, all of the $5.5 million in private donations has been raised according to city council and Hughes Agency. In fact, more than the needed $5.5 million has been raised. Construction is slated to start in Spring 2023.

Thank you for the correction - based off past comments by council and the mayor, I had a feeling the article was incorrect

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, distortedlogic said:

No trying to beat a dead horse, but I still think they would be better served to let this money accrue a bit more until they can afford to do the tower the right way.  This seems like a classic case of shortsightedly throwing something up to get it done without really thinking through the particulars.

This tower is spectacular. I am proud of what the city has accomplished with Unity Park and now with Unity Tower. We live in a special community. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Can you explain what you view as being "the right way"? Is it materials, simply the height, maybe the end user experience? 

Personally, I would have liked to see a taller structure. Something around twice the height (250 feet or so) would have been awesome but at the same time I realize it’s water under the bridge now so I support it in its current form and will definitely visit once it opens. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Can you explain what you view as being "the right way"? Is it materials, simply the height, maybe the end user experience? 

I've been through that before but sort of a combination of those really. I'd like a bit more height, but not because I just want to be able to brag about a tall tower. In my opinion, the current height (the observation deck looks to be about 110 or 115 feet) simply won't be tall enough for the "tower" to serve it's stated purpose of providing a view of DT and the mountains. It is in a low place by the river and many nearby trees could be taller than that eventually.  I would think it would need to be closer to 200 ft to really do what they want it to do. The design is just ok, but not anything to write home about, so that could be better as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I've been through that before but sort of a combination of those really. I'd like a bit more height, but not because I just want to be able to brag about a tall tower. In my opinion, the current height (the observation deck looks to be about 110 or 115 feet) simply won't be tall enough for the "tower" to serve it's stated purpose of providing a view of DT and the mountains. It is in a low place by the river and many nearby trees could be taller than that eventually.  I would think it would need to be closer to 200 ft to really do what they want it to do. The design is just ok, but not anything to write home about, so that could be better as well.

I appreciate you taking the time to put words to it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

Does begs the question though. Why is the city in such a rush to build this? Why not wait until inflation drops so they can get more bang for their buck? Am I missing something? 

A rush? Hasn't this been in the works for many months, if not a couple of years? There is no rush. The plans were made and the money has been raised. Moving forward with the right plans is what needs to happen. You are only of less than a handful of people that is not happy. Besides, building costs will never drop, no matter what happens with inflation. I should add, I was told by a builder this past week that many building supplies have come down in cost or have leveled out. Now is the time. Let's make it happen. It is only going to cost more if we wait. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.