Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

I guess I'm on "Team Mayor White" on this. 

The other Council members are reluctant to spend $300k to flesh out and obtain a the best detailed plan for future development of this important downtown site because they aren't sure what the future holds and it's coming up right before the budget is due. Not to budget money for this plan is very short-sighted, in my opinion. Development is going to occur at that site, but how it develops and the speed it develops is dependent on the city being prepared and showing potential investors that it has a detailed plan and time table. Unplanned development in this area is not in the city's best interest. A great opportunity could be lost over a $300,000 line item.  

I would think that this area is still in the Reedy flood plain.  Perfect for a park, but very limiting on the developments that would work there.

The flood plain...from memory goes until about Mayberry. The other side of Mayberry should be well suited for development. Same goes for the other side of Gibbs/Meadow on the other side. 

I don't quite understand what is meant by them not having a plan.  They have the Greenville Master Plan and the latest park plans (which I think really nailed it IMHO).  I suppose the Master Plan is very out of date and perhaps didnt account for a park at that time?  What I can see happening is investors driving how the area develops and not the city (i.e. only for the affluent).  West Greenviile should be a careful and well thought out blend that is safe and affordable for everyone.  With interest rates where they are, I think its bordering on reckless not to assume development would expand up the river by now unless the assumption is that this area isnt worth it and investor interest is wrong at this time.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed how many people are opposed to it. Their whole argument is unlogical because it says we should not build a park until roads are fixed. The roads are a state and federal thing. The park has to do with city level decisions and funding. I'm really shocked at how uninformed people are on how these different things work. It's like they don't pay attention to anything else but they know they hit that pothole on the way to work so let's yell and scream about it and block a park. I'm so glad that I live in a city where they spend money on things like parks. I come from a horrible City in the Northeast where no money gets spent on that type of thing and it is literally a hell on Earth to live there. I just don't understand people's thought process sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 3/18/2016 at 8:43 PM, vicupstate said:

City proceeding with Public Works move

Good to see some progress on this. I wish the entire public works was moving (see turquoise area in the graphic).

I can imagine that the city is holding this parcel with the bet that this parcel's value will skyrocket after completion of the park and additional development around the park in the future. The city can then make some nice coin on a future sale.  

35 minutes ago, NBNY2GRNVL said:

I'm amazed how many people are opposed to it. Their whole argument is unlogical because it says we should not build a park until roads are fixed. The roads are a state and federal thing. The park has to do with city level decisions and funding. I'm really shocked at how uninformed people are on how these different things work. It's like they don't pay attention to anything else but they know they hit that pothole on the way to work so let's yell and scream about it and block a park. I'm so glad that I live in a city where they spend money on things like parks. I come from a horrible City in the Northeast where no money gets spent on that type of thing and it is literally a hell on Earth to live there. I just don't understand people's thought process sometimes.

The people opposed to it are probably Donald Trump supporters and lack a college degree.

3 hours ago, NBNY2GRNVL said:

I haven't heard any opposition.  What source are you referring to?

Yeah, I read those comments as well.  Especially frustrating given the city actively advocated for the Greenville county sales tax last year to you know, fix the roads.   However it was voted down by a wide margin.  I doubt very few if any of the people griping supported that.     

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NBNY2GRNVL said:

http://wspa.com/2016/03/30/22-million-greenville-park-approved/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Read the comments below the article and on the corresponding Facebook post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

The article is so badly written that it gives the appearance that 22.5 MM is being spent on the PARK. That money is for the Public Works Facility. The comments are based on that only, which is false to begin with. 

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, SVL said:

It looks like they added to the footprint and possibly slashed the budget for what they are building compared to the 2014 version.  The renderings show a strange lack of diversity as well.  The "destination" playground looks like some old farm equipment half buried in the ground.  Picnic tables and hula hoops??? The plans and renderings make it a little too easy to raise the question is this the low budget park for black Greenville with Falls park being the more ambitious park for whites?  I hope this is not the case and that this park is more of a continuation of what we have done at the falls.  I do like the attention to cleaning up the Reedy and filtering sediment.

Edited by gvegascple
Add sentances

9 hours ago, gvegascple said:

It looks like they added to the footprint and possibly slashed the budget for what they are building compared to the 2014 version.  The renderings show a strange lack of diversity as well.  The "destination" playground looks like some old farm equipment half buried in the ground.  Picnic tables and hula hoops??? The plans and renderings make it a little too easy to raise the question is this the low budget park for black Greenville with Falls park being the more ambitious park for whites?  I hope this is not the case and that this park is more of a continuation of what we have done at the falls.  I do like the attention to cleaning up the Reedy and filtering sediment.

That type of playground is very "in" right now. 1. Its the style and 2. It lowers potential injury issues.The only true cost cutting I see is only building one main bridge. Seeing that this is probably the largest piece proportionally in cost, something had to go. The city said back two years ago that they would probably have to cut down on the bridges as it was. 

18 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

That type of playground is very "in" right now. 1. Its the style and 2. It lowers potential injury issues.The only true cost cutting I see is only building one main bridge. Seeing that this is probably the largest piece proportionally in cost, something had to go. The city said back two years ago that they would probably have to cut down on the bridges as it was. 

I hope so, maybe it was the lack of detail on pages 12 and 13 versus the detail shown for the 2013 plan just make it appear as though there is less (It kind of looks like its mostly green fields despite all of the items listed as being part of the park.  The renderings dont show anything very impressive either in regards to what will be installed there.  I saw some swamp-type boardwalk trails, a very rudimentary park, a stage that doesnt look that much different than the covered food court at the zoo, some picnic tables and some out door grills shaped like pigs.  I sort of figured they would showcase the best stuff in the renderings so if that is it, I am sort of meh. I did notice that they scrubbed the "who's my landlord" writing off one of the peoples t-shirts at the picnic table and updated the doc so kudos there, as that was pretty um bad.  I dont know, I am still not convinced that my first impression isn't still accurate and still hopeful as well that I am wrong.

http://www.greenvillesc.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/7068