Advice on Myers Park condos

abbitt

I'm thinking of buying a new condo in the Myers Park area. I've been looking at Selwyn Village, it's a complex built in the 40's, very reasonably priced. They seem like a great deal in a great location. Anyone know anything about these condos, or have any advice. I'd appreicate it.

(PS, My first topic post, I hope i did it right.)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to UrbanPlanet. You might want to review the forum rules as we don't do recommendations on real estate to purchase on this forum, but I will leave this topic open if there is an interest in talking about the history of this particular complex.

If I'm not mistaken, a few of our more notable business leaders have once lived in these townhomes.....also, I believe one of the forumers here has as well......they are a great price in a great location.....they should see strong appreciation once they shake the stigma of being a great price.

Oh man! I used to live in Selwyn Village. Loved it! I owned a unit there from '92 to '97. It was almost like living in Peyton Place, though. Kind of tight knit community and everybody knew your business. That said, my next door neighbor Suzanne always offered a bourbon on the rocks when I got home from work. Can't beat that. My other neighbor Rick had a different girl over every weekend and was always <ahem> vocal when "entertaining" them.

For the price, you can't beat the location and convienience. I wouldn't consider one of the flats. They can be noisy (see reference to Rick above).

There is lots of history at Selwyn. Built in 1946, lots of famous Charlotteans lived there when they first moved here. Hugh McColl, John Medlin, Ed Crutchfield, Charles Kuralt. So many children were concieved there it earned the knickname "Fertlile Valley".

I would stay away from the units at the bottom of the hill (up against Sugar Creek), as they have flooded numerous times, not to mention having to hear "Welcome to Taco Bell. Would you like to try a Chalupa?" untill 2am.

A couple of other places you might want to look at (that are priced about the same): Scotland Colony on Westfield and Myrtle Square on Myrtle Ave in Dilworth.

Ahh I recognize this place now. It is a apartment -> condo conversion. I'm not sure when the conversion occured.

While it may not be an issue with these units, one of the problems you see in these older conversions are the location of the hot water units and heating cooling systems. It was once common to include utilities and hotwater with the rent in Charlotte. As a result many complexes were built with centralized hotwater/hotwater as this is a more efficient way to provide heat. AC was later added by adding window units.

When units like this are converted you can't use this arrangement anymore so something has to be bolted on and sometimes its isn't pretty. Make sure you check out this aspect.

Archived