Vacant AmEx Building to change hands

Cotuit

Indoor Polo arena? Worlds best and biggest Donut shop? Ultimate Xtreme Mega Lazer Tag? A state run brothel/slot parlor? I want to see something that really knocks our socks off.

Gals/guys on rollerskates that bring you donuts that shoot lazers and scratch tickets and happy endings?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

PBN: "Big East moving to city’s AmEx Building "

http://pbn.com/detail/48563.html

partial text:

"The Big East Conference will keep its headquarters in Providence but move to the Gateway Center, the former downtown home of Fidelity Investments, officials said Monday.

Conference Commissioner John M. Marinatto announced the decision to relocate to the facility, also known as the American Express Building, at a City Hall press conference with Mayor David N. Cicilline."

PBN: "Big East moving to city’s AmEx Building "

http://pbn.com/detail/48563.html

partial text:

"The Big East Conference will keep its headquarters in Providence but move to the Gateway Center, the former downtown home of Fidelity Investments, officials said Monday.

Conference Commissioner John M. Marinatto announced the decision to relocate to the facility, also known as the American Express Building, at a City Hall press conference with Mayor David N. Cicilline."

Great news! And I had no idea the Big East was headquartered here.

Good news for Providence, bad news for the Big East in general. The Providence College influence in the Conference will be the downfall of the league (and that isn't a slight to the city or the residents). As long as the Big East continues to be run by a basketball-only school (i.e. former PC executives moving into the league), the Conf. is doomed to fail. Again, good news for the city, but only short term...

Good news for Providence, bad news for the Big East in general. The Providence College influence in the Conference will be the downfall of the league (and that isn't a slight to the city or the residents). As long as the Big East continues to be run by a basketball-only school (i.e. former PC executives moving into the league), the Conf. is doomed to fail. Again, good news for the city, but only short term...

Really? Bad news for the Big East? Doomed to fail? Because the Big East is in such diiiiiiire straits now, right?

Seriously?

Really? Bad news for the Big East? Doomed to fail? Because the Big East is in such diiiiiiire straits now, right?

Seriously?

I was thinking the same thing, considering they had no problem signing a lease for some prime class A office space in downtown Providence.

I'm also not sure what he means by that. PC might be a big basketball school, but before they lost their baseball team to Title IX, they won the Big East championship. Also, what college sports are big anyway? Only football and basketball come to mind.

The Big East isn't going anywhere.

Yes, seriously. Really, there is only one revenue sport: football. Football drives the boat, and the Big East still envisions itself a basketball league. You guys seem to think the Big East is going nowhere, but you're wrong. The Big East is in an incredibly precarious position, and having the league run by people from a basketball-only school is counter productive to a healthy league. And yes, the Big East is in enormous dire straits. Google Big Ten expansion, you'll see the Big East is ripe for the picking, and we won't be losing worthless schools like Depaul or Seton Hall, it'll be Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, Notre Dame, West Virginia... The Big East is setup to fail. A 16 team league with only 8 football members is basically asking for another raid. And any team that is asked will go, trust me. And you know what will happen then? The rest of the football programs will go as well. UConn won't sit idle while the taxpayers just paid for a 40k stadium to house our fledgling BCS stadium, they'll bolt to the ACC, whomever doesn't go the Big Ten will try to go elsewhere. Every league out there is willing to go to a 14 or 16 team scenario, and they all play football! You'll end up with seven members, so have fun playing St. John's, Marquette, and Seton Hall over and over and over. The Big East is in shambles and will not look like the same conference in 5 years, if it even exists. Anyways, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, back to the regularly scheduled AmEx building.

For your reading pleasure, and from your very own Mike Tranghese .

Dave Solomon, New haven Register

Bill Stewart, West Virginia Head Coach

• 8 months later...

Archived