Spot Light

Florida

This is a conversion of one of Tallahassee's very first threads on Urban Planet. I didn't want to create a new one and this was the best one I could think to start this in. But it will basically be a thread where we list any awards, honors, etc., bestowed upon our region.

Tallahassee: 2007 America's Hottest Cities to Expand or Relocate a Business

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Capital City of Florida, and ONLY City in Leon County (Pop. 260,000). Tallahassee MSA includes 4 counties Leon, Wakulla, Jefferson, and Gasden Counties. Total MSA Population 325,000. With only 75,000 people in the counties surrounding Tallahassee, and Tallahassee itself being only a mid-sized city its easy to see why we are often ignored by outsiders.

Now that Tallahassee is finally on the verge of a major physical and image makeover, the question arises... What does Florida want from its Capital City?

Capital City of Florida, and ONLY City in Leon County (Pop. 260,000). Tallahassee MSA includes 4 counties Leon, Wakulla, Jefferson, and Gasden Counties. Total MSA Population 325,000. With only 75,000 people in the counties surrounding Tallahassee, and Tallahassee itself being only a mid-sized city its easy to see why we are often ignored by outsiders.

Now that Tallahassee is finally on the verge of a major physical and image makeover, the question arises... What does Florida want from its Capital City?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For starters, a new capitol building. ;)

anyone know how Tallahassee became the state capitol as opposed to some of the larger, more established cities like Miami, Tampa, or JAX back in whenever?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know the answer to that, praha, but do you know that there was a time, within the last few decades, when both Orlando and Miami lobbied hard to get the capital moved to their respective cities ?

Wouldn't the swath of land in Orlando which we call 'Uptown' have been a nice location for a capital (and related buildings) ? ;)

interesting, I didn't know that. That certainly would have been awesome in one of the larger cities, but I wonder how that would have affected the universities? Maybe not as much as we might think, considering Gainesville is a lot like Tallahassee without the capitol. I definitely prefer the capitol city to be one of the larger, more prominent cities in the state (no offense of course to Tallahassee).

Tallahassee is our state capital because it was the midpoint between what were the two largest cities in the early 1800s, Pensacola and St. Augustine, back when Florida became a territory. All the early settlements were in the northern part of the state-to-be; there were few, if any in the central and southern parts of the state until later. South Florida was still submerged and inaccessible by land until the early 20th century.

Useless factoid: the geographic center of the state is considered to be in Hernando County. If the same exercise that was used to determine the site for Tallahassee were to be repeated today, our capital might be Brooksville... :whistling:

Tallahassee is the perfect spot for the capitol. The landscape is absolutely georgeous, they actually experience all four seasons, although mild, and the location is poised to be yet another great Florida city.

Yes, the capitol would also do a lot to boost the economy of the larger Florida cities, but they are already established. Let Tallahasse keep it's main anchor and watch it grow into its grand title as the capitol city of the greatest state in the USA.

Is there a P&C list for Tally posted yet?? I've only heard a small bit about the construction happenings in the area.

Aessotariq is right about how Tally was founded. Two parties literally marched from Pensacola and St. Aug and where they met, the capitol was built.

Projects Under Construction and Approved in Downtown Tallahassee include:

The Tennyson (15 Stories Currently Under Construction)

The Tallahassee Center (14 Stories Currently Under Construction)

The Kleman Tower (27 stories Ground Breaking this Month)

The Marriott Convention Center (19 Stories)

The Symphony Condominiums (10 Stories)

The Village Condominiums (10 Stories)

The College Park Condominiums (14 Stories)

417 Park Condominiums

The Performing Arts Center (Location Search in Progress)

The Capital Cascades Trail (A "Riverwalk" Downtown)

Tallahassee was the Great Compromise settled at the request of Governor Duval because the first territorial capitols of East and West Florida couldn't agree on a meeting place. The site of the Capitol was actually chosen because of its proxmity to a cascading waterfall, and the area was said to have vegitation like no other ever seen by the men who settled the area (just a little more history there).

For those who contend the Capital should be in the states largest city, look at the nations four largest states, of which Scaremento, Austin, Albany, and Tallahassee are the captial cities. Non of these cities are the states largest, but all of them serve well in their roles as capitals. Not even Washington D.C. is close to being among the nations largest cities.

But heres a question: Why was Orlando, of all places, chosen for Disney, and not some place more central to the US such as St. Louis, or Kansas City. Of course I know the answer to this, but I figured I'd throw it out there since were challenging placement decisions.

But heres a question: Why was Orlando, of all places, chosen for Disney, and not some place more central to the US such as St. Louis, or Kansas City. Of course I know the answer to this, but I figured I'd throw it out there since were challenging placement decisions.

Orlando has better weather than St. Louis. I'm sure you knew that. And at the time, Orlando/Kissimmee was just a bunch of dumpy farms and lakes. Lots of cheap land and gullible people for Walt to capitalize on!

I like Tally, and the new urban development it's experiencing. Downtown Tallahassee is really quite charming, and probably the urban area with the steepest hills in all of FL.

For those who contend the Capital should be in the states largest city, look at the nations four largest states, of which Scaremento, Austin, Albany, and Tallahassee are the captial cities. Non of these cities are the states largest, but all of them serve well in their roles as capitals. Not even Washington D.C.  is close to being among the nations largest cities.
Actually, it's unusual for the state capital to be the largest city... There aren't that many if you think about it (Boston, Providence, Columbus, Atlanta, Phoenix, Denver, Salt Lake City, Little Rock, Boise, Cheyenne, Columbia, Charleston (WV), Indianapolis, and probably a couple others I have missed).

Some largest city-capitals don't have the best relationships with their state governments, either. Atlanta and Georgia is a prime example.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it's in Florida for a reason, although it probably could have been built anywhere in the state that had a 40+ square mile tract of cheap land. Walt Disney was able to lobby the Legislature into giving him almost full control over a huge piece of land that the present Walt Disney World Resort is built on. A special body called Reedy Creek Improvement District was created, which gave "residents" within the district total control over zoning, permitting, taxation, construction, etc. Those "residents"/land owners are, naturally, Walt Disney executives, and they elect the governing board that runs Reedy Creek. The District has its own fire department, power plant, water/sewer service, zoning board, just about everything except its own court system and police. So if Disney wants to expand one of its theme parks, its permitting process is extremely streamlined because the application is submitted to Reedy Creek, which is basically asking itself for approval. Reedy Creek has the power to tax property within the district, and Disney, being the largest (only?) property owner in the district, basically pays itself for the public works stuff that RCID is responsible for. Disney couldn't have it better.

There are two such "improvement districts" in Florida, Reedy Creek, and The Village Improvement District, in northern Lake County.

And, welcome to the forum, TaureanJ.

There are some states where the capitol is a large city, Boston for instance.

Another reason Central Florida was chosen for Disney was not only weather but I-4. It is geographically centered between the two coasts, which were at that time in the 70s, the largest vacation hubs in the state.

A Few questions here... what is a Federated city... I think I read a post or so on here that Jacksonville is a Federated city, is this any different than a consolidated city, because I've never heard that term.

Second question: Who decides when a community needs an interstate route?

Third Question: How would you take a Regional Airport and make it International?

Also, we need a Cheesecake factory in the Capital City. One of those nice outlet malls wouldn't hurt either, like the one in Sunrise, Sawgrass Mills. Help a brotha out, we tryin to better represent our peeps.

I know there is some help out there.

what is a Federated city... I think I read a post or so on here that Jacksonville is a Federated city, is this any different than a consolidated city, because I've never heard that term.
The term "federated city" isn't a term that is used in Florida. That was a term used by a forumer referring to a city in a different state. But you could say that if a city is not 100% consolidated with its county and that there are surrounding municipalities in the county, then there is a federation of some sort.

Second question: Who decides when a community needs an interstate route?
Usually it's the state Department of Transportation that makes that determination.

Third Question: How would you take a Regional Airport and make it International?
Convince U.S. Customs, Immigration, and the Department of Agriculture to set up shop at your airport. Then you can call it an "international airport".

Also, we need a Cheesecake factory in the Capital City. One of those nice outlet malls wouldn't hurt either, like the one in Sunrise, Sawgrass Mills. Help a brotha out, we tryin to better represent our peeps.
One of my favorite restaurants when I have money to splurge and lots of time to wait in line. :) They tend to locate themselves in upscale malls, so you'll need one of those first.

I'll post some pics up when I get back to Tallahassee and my broadband connection. How large is Phoenix, can't believe its larger than Atlanta, and Denver. I might have to check them out.

Aessotariq.. you are full of knowledge man. Thanks for breakin down that Confederated thing for me.

I'm hoping someone, sometime soon, proposes a upscale shopping center for our Gaines Street, Southwood, Bradfordville-Welaunee area. Because we need better shopping, and we need that Cheesecake Factory.

Only 17 states have their capital as the largest city.

The largest capital city in the nation (including DC) is Phoenix, AZ.

The smallest is Montpelier, VT.

I'd like to see some Tallahassee pics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you wanna see Florida's Capital City... here's a snapshot

tr141.gif

Here's a shot from space

pkwycap-.jpg

Here's a beautiful view of the two Capitols looking West from outside the downtown. This is Apalachee Parkway.

TheCapitol.jpg

Here's a better look at the Florida Capitols

sCourt.jpg

This is the Florida Supreme Court

mansion_front.jpg

This is Florida's Governor's Mansion.

[img BrokawMcDougallHouse.jpg

Here is a picture of the Historic McDougall House. Tallahassee has many sites like this in its downtown. Its these types of treasures that are signatures for Quality cities.

68920482821.jpg

This is currently one of Downtown Tallahassee's most exciting streets. College Avenue.

68915989125.jpg

Here's a shot of the Florida Capitol from Kleman Plaza.

68920624901.jpg

This is the Leon County Courthouse as seen from the Capitol. This building was a popular hangout for lawyers and the like in 2000 when we were made famous for our Voting Scandals.

22861564933.jpg

22861695109.jpg

22861523205.jpg

Here are some of the homes found in North Eastern Tallahassee where I grew up. Don't get the wrong idea though.

One can see why Bing Crosby's song proclaimed Tallahassee the Southland at its best. :P

Peep this Florida...

As citizens of the Sunshine State we all deserve easy access to our government (Capital City). Therefore I have proposed the construction of a new highway that can either be seen as the creation of a new interstate or an extension of the Florida Turnpike.

Here's a rough look at what Im suggesting... tell me what you think.

NewRoute.bmp

It would give people leaving SE and SW Florida a more direct shot at Tallahassee and the rest of the Western USA. It would give us in Tallahassee a better route to South and Central Florida as well, improving our overall trade routes.

I am defenitely for it. I will save North Westerns plenty of time say especially if they wanted to go to Miami. Help boost small towns in that area, and definetly provide a faster route to the Capitat city. It will also rid some of that traffic off I-75 we experience during the summer time, when tourists take over. Very good idea!! I must say. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Archived