Spot Light

Florida

City Hires Director of TalTran

The City of Tallahassee today announced that Ronald L. Garrison has been named the director of TalTran. Garrison is a general manager for Connex Transit, one of the largest private sector transit management companies in the world. He works for Connex in the Washington D.C. area, and will assume his new duties in Tallahassee in late March.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting. Where did you get all of that brain juice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know a few sites on the Internet.

Also, I went through it on my way to LA. I picked up some brochures and things like that.

Phoenix is even larger than DC.

Another interesting fact, ATL's metro is just a little over 8,000 sq. mi.(one of the biggest in the nation) It could fit inside Maricopa County.

In its early stages news about shoppes and retail finally coming to the Appleyard Drive area. A developer is seeking permits to build 32,000 sq.ft. plaza on 2.8 acres.

In other news Logan's Steakhouse is seeking permit to build a 8,155-sq-ft restaurant on 1.86 acres on the northwest corner of Broward Street and Apalachee Parkway.This is the same property I thought would be prime for a nice upscale hotel in the future, but to each his own.

There is also planned a boost in downtown parking with the Calhoun Street parking garage at Park. Developers are seeking to boost the garage to 6 levels with 133,000-sq-ft of parking space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Harry's says it will open by August

smallsax.gif

By Juana Jordan

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

OK, so Harry's Seafood Bar & Grill isn't open on Kleman Plaza yet. But it will be soon, says a company official. Renovations are almost finished, and the doors are expected to open by August.

Then, the 6,300-square-foot space on the first floor of the Florida League of Cities building will look like a signature Harry's, the Jacksonville Beach-based chain with New Orleans-style cuisine, with a full bar, dark wood-and-brick interior and room to seat 200 - inside and outside.

"It's just a slow moving process," said Kendra Antoine, a Harry's spokeswoman.

Harry's came on the scene in 1987. Since then, six other locations have opened. Tallahassee and Tampa will be the newest locations. Specialities include jambalaya, crawfish etouffee, grilled steaks and lobster.

The space Harry's will call home has been vacant since November. For years it was Sloppy Joes, a restaurant owned by former Key West representative Ron Saunders. Then it was renamed The Plaza featuring Gordo's and Cucinella's, which was the last business there.

The Florida League of Cities lease agreement for the space requires that a large percentage of the business' sales come from food rather than bar sales - something that became an issue with Saunders' business.

Autos out, shops in at plaza

By Juana Jordan

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

The land at Capital Circle Northwest and West Tennessee Street is getting a makeover. Work is already under way to level the remaining buildings of the old Kraft Nissan dealership to a make way for a new plaza.

That's right, there are going to be retail shops, restaurants and businesses going up there. So far five businesses have shown interest, but Henree Martin, of Developers Realty, says she's not at liberty to say who they are. Contracts are still being worked out, and the site plan must be approved. "Within a month or so we should know something," she said.

In the meantime, Crawford Atkins, general manager and vice president of Capital Eurocars , is scouting for land for his new Volvo dealership. (Capital Eurocars purchased the franchise, which is still on the old Nissan lot, from Kraft Nissan two months ago.) Until he finds a place, Atkins says, the company will continue to sell Volvos off that lot. Since it bought the dealership two months ago, Capital Eurocars has increased inventory and sales.

Should the Volvo Relocate to North East Tallahassee or should Capital Eurocars purchase the property between them and Autosmart for the Construction of the Volvo wing?

A couple of things i have noticed...

Capital CIrcle SW by the Southwood Office complex has finally began consuming trees to widen to six lanes connecting through the appalachee pkwy intersection improvements. that will save me about 30 minutes a week once completed.

Also the Hilton going in by publix on blairstone and old st augustine rd is creeping up past four stories this week. it will look interesting perched behind the beautiful K-mart and publix.

Food for thought... A major sporting complex at the I-10 and 90 intersection might be just enought to convince me to stay in my home town after college... baseball?

That sports complex food sounds like it might taste good...

The Hilton Garden Inn on Blairstone is coming along quite nicely isn't it? I wonder if its going to look just like its cousin on the Northside I-10 exit. The Publix will be leaving that shopping center soon and Im sure that plaza will undergo some tremenous changes, good or bad I don't yet know. But I doubt K-Mart will be able to anchor that center alone... unless it does a complete renovation of the interior.

Is it South West Capital Circle that you are thinking of near the Airport, or South East?

That sports complex food sounds like it might taste good...

The Hilton Garden Inn on Blairstone is coming along quite nicely isn't it? I wonder if its going to look just like its cousin on the Northside I-10 exit. The Publix will be leaving that shopping center soon and Im sure that plaza will undergo some tremenous changes, good or bad I don't yet know. But I doubt K-Mart will be able to anchor that center alone... unless it does a complete renovation of the interior.

Is it South West Capital Circle that you are thinking of near the Airport, or South East?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i heard through the grapvine of some office buildings occupying the space. And there is an exact twin of the HIlton on the Eastbound side of I-10 just after the bridge from pensicola.. And it is South East capital cirlce..... thanks

^ I didn't mean to correct you buddy... its just I haven't been on that side of town in a while and I've been wondering what segment they are working on.

hmmm.... Im sure its not going to look like that Hilton... are you talking about the "Arrive Alive Drive 55" bridge? I think this Hilton is going to be a Garden Inn... like the one out in Killearn.

• 2 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

New Jobs @ Talla-Tech!

Talla-Tech, a subsidiary of Talla-Com Industries, is announcing the opening of its brand new facility in what used to be Peak Traffic Systems on Commonwealth Boulevard, in Commonwealth Park. With the opening of the new building comes 40 new manufacturing jobs for Tallahassee! Not many but its a start!

Talla-Com, a maker of radio circuit boards, is a subsidiary of Israel-based Tadiran Communications.

Keep up the Good Work Tallahassee... keep those jobs rolling in!

thJul04_p61_3.jpg

logo.gif

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

New Jobs @ Talla-Tech!

Talla-Tech, a subsidiary of Talla-Com Industries, is announcing the opening of its brand new facility in what used to be Peak Traffic Systems on Commonwealth Boulevard, in Commonwealth Park. With the opening of the new building comes 40 new manufacturing jobs for Tallahassee! Not many but its a start!

Talla-Com, a maker of radio circuit boards, is a subsidiary of Israel-based Tadiran Communications.

Keep up the Good Work Tallahassee... keep those jobs rolling in!

thJul04_p61_3.jpg

logo.gif

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The downside of this news is it highlights the failures of Innovation Park. For Tally to truly be successful in high tech, a legitmate high tech park is necessary. Innovation Park is just not it. It is too small for one...only 208 acres, but most importantly, the leadership is just brutal. Nothing more than landlords. I wish Tally would address this problem. Until they do, Tally will not reach it's potential.

^St. Joe... why must there always be a downside to every piece of good news.

We just announced 40 jobs in Commonwealth Park and you want to mention Innovation Park... whats up with that? You know what I think is wrong with Innovation park... accesability. Once we get the roads (Capital Circle and Orange) expanded leading to the facility and improve signage, people will start to take notice and the park will begin its boon. Leadership is key, which is why Im glad FSU stood up to protest the status quo (I want to point out to you Im saying something good about FSU).

We just announced 40 jobs in Commonwealth Park and you want to mention Innovation Park... whats up with that? You know what I think is wrong with Innovation park... accesability. Once we get the roads (Capital Circle and Orange) expanded leading to the facility and improve signage, people will start to take notice and the park will begin its boon. Leadership is key, which is why Im glad FSU stood up to protest the status quo (I want to point out to you Im saying something good about FSU).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I might often do that, but not always. Like me saying you always knock FSU (as you have pointed out, you don't). I liked the new Kleman Plaza 2 and you didn't for example. I also liked the Kleman plaza condos, Tennyson, and all Saints street.

Forgive me for doing so here. I am just frustrated with the direction of Tally right now. You can make a case that things are fine, but I think the COT is not near reaching it's potential and make many poor decisions. That includes on unversity levels (both are struggling now compared to their competitors). Like you I love the COT...I just fear things are 50/50. Some great things...but some severe issues that are being mismanged or ignored.

But this is your board and I will stop posting if you don't want my opinions here.

^This isn't my board man!! We like your opinions. I'd love for you to tell us more about what is being mismanaged so these things won't be ignored much longer. Im not afraid to go before the city commission and share my mind, and having your opinions and thoughts helps me to do this.

We will disagree from time to time, but I truly enjoy it for the sake of converstion and debate. So long as we are able to disagree and remain neighbors Im cool.

Indeed. I love the debates! I'll be honest and say I enjoy Urban Planet most when a debate is in progress, because they keep us talking and help uncover different perspectives as Cityboy pointed out. We haven't had more fun on here until you arrived St. Joe!

Archived