Spot Light

Florida

Although it would cut down the time it takes to access the Panhandle and Tallahassee, I'd rather see the money applied for inner city mass transit (ex. light rail in Orlando/Tampa, high speed rail, better bus systems, etc.) or expansion of congested urban highways.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because a new highway would be build to better connect the state, doesn't mean relief for crowded Urban highways and improved mass transit will cease. The highspeed rail can take a hike, it wouldn't help most Floridians until 2020 atleast! What we need is to figure out a way to make Airtravel work in Florida, ways to improve our Intra City Mass Transit systems, and ways to get people from city to city in their cars (which is truly what they desire) without making them go hours out of their way. This is a good idea.

How large is Phoenix, can't believe its larger than Atlanta, and Denver.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im not sure the actual rank but it's in the top ten of the US Cities. The city itself has about 1.5 million.

Who would pay for it? For it to be developed, the funds would have to be taken from somewhere else, since the budget is already pretty tight. Plus, US 19 & 27, in that area do a good enough job of handling traffic to justify, not spending millions to billions of dollars on a new expressway route that long. It would be better to upgrade US 19 (to an expressway) in Pinellas County, than upgrading it north of Crystal River.

As far as comparing it to rail, it would take decades to get a road this large off the drawing board. Enchancing rail would be quicker to build, better for the environment, and benefit a much larger population of the state.

Who would pay for it?  For it to be developed, the funds would have to be taken from somewhere else, since the budget is already pretty tight.  Plus, US 19 & 27, in that area do a good enough job of handling traffic to justify, not spending millions to billions of dollars on a new expressway route that long.  It would be better to upgrade US 19 (to an expressway) in Pinellas County, than upgrading it north of Crystal River.

As far as comparing it to rail, it would take decades to get a road this large off the drawing board.  Enchancing rail would be quicker to build, better for the environment, and benefit a much larger population of the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its hard to imagine a great proportion of Florida that wouldn't benifit from this route. Surely if it takes upgrading US 27 to an expressway, thats what we need, stop and go travel isn't cutting it. Secondly... the road can be financed the same way the Florida Turnpike was financed, and surely cutting back on that high speed rail idea would also help bring in some loot. I think somebody's been drinkin that Haterade.

"Go Gators" ... no (Go Seminoles!)

Its good to know we aren't drinking any "haterade" there buddy! Actually those homes are in scattered neighborhoods, I believe one was Bobbin Trace, One was Rose Hill, and the other was in a neighborhood called Moore Pond. I think Im going to start taking more and more pictures of homes, I find they are often motivating sites to look at.

Actually Bobbin Trace was the neighborhood I was thinking of. There is a Millers Landing Rd. in that neighborhood. I know a few families out there, it is motivating in itself to ride around out there. I am a college student @ FSU (ironically) and like to go out there to remind myself to keep at it so I can afford one of those soon!

P.S. - I have bragging rights for a few more months!

I was on I-10 today and noticed the most beautiful little flowers in ithe grass, yellows and blue or purple I guess... does anyone know whether or not the state planted those or could it be the Lord.

Widning of I-10 (Tallahassee)

Widning of I-10 through Tallahassee, segment three should begin in September of this year. The I-10 mainline from just west of the SR 263 (Capital Circle Northwest) Interchange to just east of the US 319/SR 61 (Thomasville Road/Capital Circle Northeast) Interchange will be widened to three (3) 12-foot wide travel lanes in each direction, a 10-foot shoulder on each side of the roadway, and a 40-foot (minimum) median. The mainline widening (additional travel lanes) is proposed to be accommodated within the existing 300-foot wide limited access right-of-way along I-10. Additional right-of-way should only be required for certain interchange modifications and stormwater management systems. This improvement will satisfy the projected future increase in travel demand.

In order to accommodate projected future traffic demand, a continuous two-lane entrance ramp from northbound Capital Circle to eastbound I-10 will be provided. A two-lane westbound exit ramp in the northeast quadrant with a triple left-turn land to southbound Capital Circle and a single right-turn lane to northbound Capital Circle will also be provided. Currently, plans exist to widen Capital Circle Northwest to a six-lane divided facility up to the Commonwealth Boulevard Intersection. This interchange improvement will align with that widening.

The six (6) existing US 27 through lanes which pass over I-10 at this interchange will be maintained. The existing loop ramps in the northeast and southwest quadrants will be replaced with new ramps which will have a consistent radii throughout the loop to improve safety conditions. The eastbound and westbound I-10 exit ramps will be relocated. The existing bicycle and pedestrian facilities at this interchange will be maintained. This part should back up traffic.

This part will drastically change the way I-10 and Tallahassee get down...

US 319/SR 61(Thomasville Road)

The design for this interchange is complex due to the proximity of an elevated Capital Circle NE to an at-grade Thomasville Road in the same general vicinity along I-10. The following improvements are being designed for this interchange:

The existing westbound I-10 exit ramp which currently passes under Capital Circle NE and connects directly to Thomasville Road will be widened to two (2) lanes, prior to Capital Circle NE. These lanes will split: a new three (3) lane ramp will connect directly with Capital Circle NE at a signalized intersection; while a single ramp will continue to Thomasville Road.

A new westbound I-10 entrance ramp will be developed at Capital Circle NE. This ramp will consist of three (3) lanes and will cross over the westbound I-10 exit ramp and Thomasville Road on a new bridge structure. This ramp merge with the westbound I-10 entrance ramp from southbound Thomasville Road and provide a single merge point on I-10.

The north leg of the Capital Circle NE ramp terminal intersection will accommodate four (4) through lanes in the north direction and six (6) lanes in the southbound direction. These six (6) lanes will be split between through movements and right-turn lanes to access I-10 westbound. The existing Killearn Center Boulevard slip ramp to Capital Circle NE and the bridge over I-10 will be widened to accommodate the increased capacity on Capital Circle Northeast.

The south leg of the Capital Circle NE ramp terminal intersection will accommodate three (3) through lanes in the southbound direction and five lanes (5) in the northbound direction (three (3) through and dual left to I-10 westbound). The Capital Circle NE bridge over I-10 will also be widened.

The eastbound approach at Raymond Diehl Road and Capital Circle NE will include an additional right turn lane to Capital Circle NE. To avoid right-of-way acquisition in this area, the intersection will be shifted 12 feet to the north. Additionally, the eastbound I-10 entrance ramp from Raymond Diehl Road will be widened to two (2) lanes.

The existing eastbound I-10 exit ramp at Thomasville Road will be widened to three (3) lanes, the inside lane will split off to become a two (2) lane ramp bridge over Thomasville Road and will then turn south to intersect with Raymond Diehl Road. The outside two (2) lanes will increase to four (4) lanes and intersect with Thomasville Road. Of these, a triple left-turn will be developed for the northbound Thomasville Road movement while the fourth lane will become a right-turn to southbound Thomasville Road.

Thomasville Road will be widened to ten (10) lanes within the limits of the ramp terminal intersection at I-10. The five (5) southbound lanes on Thomasville Road will have three (3) through lanes and two (2) left-turn lanes to eastbound Raymond Diehl Road. Northbound Thomasville Road will have four (4) through lanes and one (1) left turn lane.

The existing westbound I-10 entrance ramp will include a continuous right-turn lane from southbound Thomasville Road. A single left-turn lane from northbound Thomasville Road will merge with the continuous entrance ramp. This lane will merge with the new entrance ramp from Capital Circle, and continue onto I-10 westbound.

I'm very excited! :w00t::D

No joke man! When alot of people say their city is growing, many times it is. But when I tell you Tallahassee is growing, Im saying this in a since that everywhere you look you can see something changing. There are strategic projects underway all over this entire community, and more on the horizon. I truly see a transformed city in the next 5-10 years seriously. My hope is that we'll be able to keep it true to the beauty that is Tallahassee and not sell out to cheap development. So far so good! This city has made it clear, we need to catch up with the rest of the state and we want to grow.

^Had a guy come up to me at work today, who normally talks about how dull everything here is, and he admitted to me that he too is excited about some of the changes he is seeing. Makes me start to wonder wether or not we may be changing some minds.

How large is Phoenix

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The city of Phoenix itself is 1.5 mil as the other person noted. The metro area is 3.3 mil. The wierd thing is that the metro area sits in one county, Maricopa, and is made up of mulitple cities within this one county such as Scottsdale, Chandler, Phoenix, Mesa, Gilbert, Peoria, Glendale and so forth.

The city of Phoenix itself is 1.5 mil as the other person noted. The metro area is 3.3 mil. The wierd thing is that the metro area sits in one county, Maricopa, and is made up of mulitple cities within this one county such as Scottsdale, Chandler, Phoenix, Mesa, Gilbert, Peoria, Glendale and so forth.

That is because Maricopa county is so huge.

Size: 9,226 sq. mi. (larger than 7states and DC; 15th largest in US)

Area incorporated: 1,441 sq. mi.

Dimensions: 132 mi. E-W; 103 mi. N-S

Phoenix is the largest state capital...for that matter, the largest in the nation.

Just an interesting tidbit.

That is because Maricopa county is so huge.

Size: 9,226 sq. mi. (larger than 7states and DC; 15th largest in US)

Area incorporated: 1,441 sq. mi.

Dimensions: 132 mi. E-W; 103 mi. N-S

Phoenix is the largest state capital...for that matter, the largest in the nation.

Just an interesting tidbit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very interesting. Where did you get all of that brain juice.

A new expressway to downtown would effectively rip apart several inner city neighborhoods, as well as destroy historic buildings. If Tallahassee wants to go that route, It would be better to upgrade Apalachee Parkway, and cut a new route (outside of town) over to I-10 or Monroe (from I-10 to (no farther than) Tennessee St.) to expressway status .

Currently in the works is our TalTran Renissance. We've realized our Bus Transit system isn't living up to expectations. The city has hired a consultant, and even solicited the assistance of Local university Urban and Regional planning professionals who have helped draft a plan for improving the system.

Plans may include additional subterminals to take the load off of the one located downtown at C.K. Steele Plaza.

steele.gif

New busses have been purchased much larger than the one shown in this picture, to also catch the eyes of potential bus riders. More is being done at the bustop level to make benches and shelters more asthetically pleasing and informative.

1allmebus.jpg

The idea of advertising on busses was addressed by the previous commission but rejected because of their desire to keep the busses clean, and classy for Tallahassee (You like that don't you!). They have retired the Old Towne Trolley bus routes, but they may make a return in the near future, with the addition of residents in the downtown area.

trolley.jpg

Archived