GTS Buses: Billboards in Motion

RestedTraveler

I noticed something yesterday that, at first glance, didn't strike me as that unusual. In the lane next to me was a GTS Bus which was painted up as one giant Grey and Blue Billboard for Nationwide Insurance with a bright GTS-green bumper.

This didn't strike me as unusual at first because I once lived in Orlando, Florida where the local Transit System, LYNX, had been selling advertising on buses for years.

Once I returned with a start to the reality that I was in Greenville and not Orlando, I realized just how special this was for me to see here.

It's a great way to finance transit.

Has anybody else noticed this? Has anyone seen any advertisements such as this (other than the Nationwide Insurance one) on GTS buses? Any idea when this started locally?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lived in Mobile, Alabama briefly and they did this with their buses. They covered the entire bus (windows included). They were definitely rolling billboards.

I love that fact that Greenville doesn't do this. So much nicer to see a green and gray bus coming down the street among all the trees. Looks so much more peaceful and environmental (although I know it isn't). :)

Oh, ok. I am slow on this one. I didn't realize this was a "wrapped" bus. It does give some variety to the fleet I guess- but I can't say I've ever (knowingly) seen it. The only problem with it I see is that it may not be distinguishable form any other bus.

Here in Columbia they have a guy in a mini-truck (think "u-haul" but smaller) that just grives around all day with several rotating adds on every flat surface. Its almost the exact opposite of the bus :)

Lived in Mobile, Alabama briefly and they did this with their buses.  They covered the entire bus (windows included).  They were definitely rolling billboards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate it when they roll a bus completly in ads, especially the windows.

Wouldn't you rather they pay for the bus system using ads rather than tax dollars?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well when you put it that way....yeah! :) From an image perspective though, GV's green buses look so much better and so much less assaulting on the eyes.

Archived