Toronto's 401: Busiest Freeway in North America

Copper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
It's interesting too that Toronto's suburbs just "end", with rural beyond. Not a lot of exurban development. You can really notice it here along 407 on Google maps. And in THIS shot too just North of the previous area. I wonder if Toronto has an urban growth boundary?

Toronto's suburban density is unbelievable, with high-rise apartments/condos dotting the skyline everywhere you look.

Stupid question: When you're coming into Toronto on 401 from Michigan, off to the East is almost a mountainous area with a large shelf/cliff of what looks like sandstone or something. Anyone know what that is?

Trucks aren't allowed to be on provincial highways on the weekend (though a few creep through anyway) so the best time is on Sat/Sun.

The problem with this however is that if you are moving on a Sun. during the Summer, you'd rather go during the week when there aren't all the cottage commuters returning to Toronto.

Another thing to consider: Rush Hour in Toronto: 6:00 - 9:30 am, 2:30 - 6:30 pm. On Fridays, afternoon rush hour is from 1:00pm on to at least 8:00pm, depending on the highway you are on, and is especially consistent during the Summer. These hours are subjective.

• 1 month later...
I work for a transportation company...and I have yet to be informed of trucks not being permitted to travel down provincial highways on weekends. :dontknow: In fact you will see the MTO scales open more often on a Saturday than on a Thursday or any day through the week - it's simply too busy as of late to have them open in peak travel areas at peak times or else it would cause even more backups. The weekend thing I am positive is more of an urban legend than anything. Those Flying J Truck stops still get alot of business on weekends! :shades:

• 1 month later...

It's interesting too that Toronto's suburbs just "end", with rural beyond. Not a lot of exurban development. You can really notice it here along 407 on Google maps. And in THIS shot too just North of the previous area. I wonder if Toronto has an urban growth boundary?

Toronto's suburban density is unbelievable, with high-rise apartments/condos dotting the skyline everywhere you look.

Stupid question: When you're coming into Toronto on 401 from Michigan, off to the East is almost a mountainous area with a large shelf/cliff of what looks like sandstone or something. Anyone know what that is?

Answers:

Toronto's urban growth boundaries are Major Mackenzie Rd and Markham By-Pass in Markham, Taunton Rd/Steeles Ave in Ajax, Whitby, and Oshawa, and Major Mackenzie Rd in Vaughan, and Mayfield Rd in Brampton.

• 5 months later...

Wow , that's just too huge for words!!

I think that among Houston freeways, there is one stretch near downtown of 16 lanes in four segments, but it is very brief (0.25 mile). US- 59 has 16 total lanes at the intersection with 610 around the Galleria. I think the "winner for Houston is the newly constructed portion of 610 between I-10 and US 290. 17 total lanes... five main lanes on each direction, 3 feeders on one side, two feeders on the other, and two floating HOVs.

Archived