Bi-Lo Sells NC Stores

DigitalSky

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bi-Lo did not pick an ideal location on US 15/501 in Southern Pines so i would not be suprised to see it gone since not that many people i know go there to begin with. Personally, im glad they built the Bi-Lo to piss off the CCNC country club residents because they are the snobbiest people in town. At least 3 homes have a Bi-Lo in their backyard, bwahahahahahahaha :rofl:

Is there any chance they could be come Kroger?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, there's a very good chance that some of the closing Bi-Lo stores could become Kroger, I think. I don't know if it'll actually happen, but I certainly think it's possible. Lowes Foods and Ingles could pick up some as well.

Yeah, there's a very good chance that some of the closing Bi-Lo stores could become Kroger, I think.  I don't know if it'll actually happen, but I certainly think it's possible.  Lowes Foods and Ingles could pick up some as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In Charlotte if they are sold they'll probably become Lowes, not Kroger.

Yeah, there's a very good chance that some of the closing Bi-Lo stores could become Kroger, I think.  I don't know if it'll actually happen, but I certainly think it's possible.  Lowes Foods and Ingles could pick up some as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I somehow can't imagine Ingles doing such an acquisition, since there is no precedent for their doing so. It would be great to see them move into Charlotte, but there's a lot of entrenched competition and they'd have a tough time carving out a share of the market. ("Ingles? What's that? Let's just go to the Teeter instead.") Ingles's bread and butter is the small towns that have never seen the likes of Harris Teeter, Kroger, or Lowes. Ingles only has one distribution facility, in Black Mountain, NC - and they only build within trucking range of that facility.

In Charlotte if they are sold they'll probably become Lowes, not Kroger.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno. Kroger's distribution facility in Salem, VA serves the Raleigh-Durham market and Charlotte is actually closer to Salem than Raleigh is. I wouldn't count Kroger out just yet.

I somehow can't imagine Ingles doing such an acquisition, since there is no precedent for their doing so. It would be great to see them move into Charlotte, but there's a lot of entrenched competition and they'd have a tough time carving out a share of the market. ("Ingles? What's that? Let's just go to the Teeter instead.") Ingles's bread and butter is the small towns that have never seen the likes of Harris Teeter, Kroger, or Lowes. Ingles only has one distribution facility, in Black Mountain, NC - and they only build within trucking range of that facility.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well If Ingle's did acquire any Bi-Lo stores, they would strictly be in Western NC i do think.

I dunno. Kroger's distribution facility in Salem, VA serves the Raleigh-Durham market and Charlotte is actually closer to Salem than Raleigh is.  I wouldn't count Kroger out just yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fingers Crossed!

We used to have Kroger here in Winston-Salem, What I miss most about them was the short line for Ticket Master LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah they have ticket master - that's cool. Well Kroger has good quality at moderate prices and that's part of what makes it so great

yeah they have ticket master - that's cool.  Well Kroger has good quality at moderate prices and that's part of what makes it so great

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Roanoke, Va. is Kroger's Mid-Atlantic headquarters and we have dozens of their stores scattered around the area, including 2 in my home county.

They have always been the standard that we judged other grocery stores by. Around here, they are clean, efficient, carry a lot of specialty items, and are usually the first people to test out grocery innovations locallly.

In the past few years, Kroger has renovated its Virginia store base and has large, spacious stores with fresh prepared foods, self-checkouts, "beer caves," superior wine selections, natural foods, gas stations, in-store banks, Ticketmaster, pharmacies, and fragrance counters.

Kroger is the best grocery chain in Southwest Virginia at least, and I'd imagine no less if the division expanded back into North Carolina.

There aren't any Krogers in the Triad? Wow that's wierd. There are Krogers in the Triangle, but it just seems as if Food Lions and Harris Teeters dominate the market. There are also a few Lowes Foods but they never seem as busy as the other 2. I'd say about 3/4 of the Lowes Foods around here were either from the Hannafords or Byrds era. Can't forget about Winn Dixie either, they are scattered about the Triangle but seem to be fading out slowly.

When I was in Wilmington I noticed tha there weren't any Krogers there, but there is one or two in Myrtle Beach.

Kroger swapped stores with Harris Teeter in 1999, leading to HT leaving the Southwest Virginia market and Kroger leaving the Triad. Before then, Kroger had a dozen Triad stores, primarily in Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point.

AFAIK, Krogr's never been in Wilmington.

Kroger swapped stores with Harris Teeter in 1999, leading to HT leaving the Southwest Virginia market and Kroger leaving the Triad.  Before then, Kroger had a dozen Triad stores, primarily in Greensboro, Winston-Salem and High Point. 

AFAIK, Krogr's never been in Wilmington.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's the other way around in Columbia though, I think Kroger and Harris Teeter traded there where Kroger got all of HT's stores. When I went down there (my uncle lives there) I asked if they had any HT's and he said they didn't - or at least didn't have any near him

Archived