Bi-Lo Sells NC Stores

DigitalSky

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

North Carolina seems so dominated by Harris Teeter that I don't even know how Bi-Lo lasted for so long anyway. Given the choice, I think anyone would probably choose Harris Teeter. We used to have a Harris Teeter here and it was easily the preferred store. Having said that, NC needs a Publix--you just want to shop there.

North Carolina seems so dominated by Harris Teeter that I don't even know how Bi-Lo lasted for so long anyway. Given the choice, I think anyone would probably choose Harris Teeter. We used to have a Harris Teeter here and it was easily the preferred store. Having said that, NC needs a Publix--you just want to shop there.

Actually, if you are looking at purely grocery stores, Food Lion rules the roost in NC. Harris Teeter, Lowes Foods, and Ingles are strong regional players but none have representation complete across the state as Food Lion or WalMart even has.

Yeah, SuburbanGeorge is correct.

South/North Charlotte, Northwest Greensboro, West Winston-Salem, Chapel Hill, and Northwest Raleigh are really the only regions truly dominated by Harris Teeter. The other areas usually Food Lion and Wal-mart Supercenter.

I'd like to see Publix in NC too, though

• 2 weeks later...

I was working in some Triad area Lowes Foods stores today, employees from the neighboring Southern Family Market (formerly Bi-Lo) were in applying for jobs. They had been told that their stores would be closing within 6-8 weeks. Anyone seen any press on this? I haven't seen anything online yet....

Oh how interesting! I didn't think the SFM would last so maybe that's not a surprise

I was working in some Triad area Lowes Foods stores today, employees from the neighboring Southern Family Market (formerly Bi-Lo) were in applying for jobs. They had been told that their stores would be closing within 6-8 weeks. Anyone seen any press on this? I haven't seen anything online yet....

They announced a few days ago that 13 stores in smaller towns in Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia would be closing, but nothing about the rest of the chain.

You guys hear everything first...I tell ya. Here is the comfirmation out of Lexington's paper. Our only upscale store gone, back to Food Lion and Wally World.

Southern Family Markets announced Wednesday its intention to close nine supermarkets in North Carolina, including Lexington, and completely leave the market in the state.

Heres the link...you might have to register,Southern FFM

Now the big question- who will replace the former Southern Family Market stores.

I haven't heard many rumors on chains looking at these sites. Lowes and Harris Teeter would be the best bets, but they will probably stay vacant or turn independent grocers. Regardless, their stint as a Southern Family Market has been a negative for the location.

I can see HT and Lowes taking some select locations (i.e. Battleground & Lawndale store in Greensboro)... but I also predict (as you mentioned) independent grocers and chains like Compare Foods taking some locations too. Possibly Food Lions too

We'll see. Compare is having some difficulties right now. They just had a Federal suit filed against them by some employees at one of their stores claiming they were fired and replaced by Hispanic workers. Two of the employees were black and one white and had been longtime employees at the Tryon St. location in Charlotte before Compare purchased the site.

Observer article about Compare Foods Lawsuit

Compare also has been under fire from hte NCDA Weights and Measures for inaccurate scanning and also from the local health departments for code violations.

Archived