Bi-Lo Sells NC Stores

DigitalSky

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see HT and Lowes taking some select locations (i.e. Battleground & Lawndale store in Greensboro)

I don't think the Battleground location will be bought by HT. They already own two stores within five miles of it, and are building another just a mile north of it.

In the course of over a year we've lost 2 major grocers Winn Dixie and Bi-Lo and now the replacement of the Bi-Lo stores. There's no more room for middle ground, people, there's Wal-Mart and Food Lion versus Lowes Foods and Harris Teeter.

Operating a grocery store is a tough business in this state. We have the most square footage devoted to grocery retail per capita than any other state in the union. Stores here are lucky to do 250K a week, if a chain in any other region of the country pulled those numbers it would be shut down. Stores up North and out West normally do 400K plus. Southern Family Markets was being run by C&S Wholesalers out of New England, and I don't think they understood this market. And if you don't understand the NC and SE grocery market it'll burn you in a heartbeat. SFM case in point.

• 4 weeks later...

My predictions were right

One, on Randleman Road, closed in late August. Its pharmacy stopped filling orders Sept. 8. Another, on Drawbridge Parkway, is set to become a Food Lion next week. And a third, on Lawndale Drive, could be replaced by Harris Teeter.

Article: Southern Family Markets begins Triad pullout

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/60915027

Also, I bet if HT takes the Lawndale store next to Target, the HT at Golden Gate will close.

It kind of surprises me that the Bi-Lo store some of you talk about in North Carolina are in such bad shape. Most all the ones in the upstate of SC are in good shape, and the older ones have been mostly remodeled. I wonder if this is just part of Bi-LO's plan to strengthen the local market here in SC. I know its off topic but im surprised publix has not come to NC yet. I like their store better than the other Grocery stores we have here in SC. They seem to be a little more pricier though than Bi-lo or Ingles.

It kind of surprises me that the Bi-Lo store some of you talk about in North Carolina are in such bad shape. Most all the ones in the upstate of SC are in good shape, and the older ones have been mostly remodeled. I wonder if this is just part of Bi-LO's plan to strengthen the local market here in SC. I know its off topic but im surprised publix has not come to NC yet. I like their store better than the other Grocery stores we have here in SC. They seem to be a little more pricier though than Bi-lo or Ingles.

Bi-Lo seems to be focusing on more of their "core" market stores, mainly in upstate SC. I don't think Bi-Lo will be run out of SC or NE GA anytime soon, but I feel their days for the remaining NC stores are numbered. Publix may be waiting for some more competition to shake out of the NC market before jumping in. NC is the most grocery stored state in the union, so it's tough for a new kid on the block.

I think they're actually in the middle of a major renovation at Golden Gate.

That really surprises me. I was surprised when they closed their store one mile down the street too (where the old Kroger was) in lieu of the golden gate store. I would have assumed they would have left since Food Lion is there. Thanks for the info...

That really surprises me. I was surprised when they closed their store one mile down the street too (where the old Kroger was) in lieu of the golden gate store. I would have assumed they would have left since Food Lion is there.
They closed the Harris Teeter where Kroger was because Harris Teeter had just(before the kroger/harris teeter deal) built a new one just a few miles up the road on Pisgah Church Road (where it intersects with Elm). The Harris Teeter in Golden Gate has always been strong, even with Food Lion in the same shopping center.

Food Lion just closed a store about a quarter mile from the Drawbridge SFM a few years ago. Maybe the second time is the charm.

I think this will be the charm.

They closed the Harris Teeter where Kroger was because Harris Teeter had just(before the kroger/harris teeter deal) built a new one just a few miles up the road on Pisgah Church Road (where it intersects with Elm). The Harris Teeter in Golden Gate has always been strong, even with Food Lion in the same shopping center.

Oh ok thanks for the info :)... too bad that Kroger/HT is still vacant though...and the WD Marketplace up Cone Blvd.

Yeah. some people say Lowes Foods is essentially like Harris Teeter too. Honestly, I think it depends on which specific stores you compare to.

I'd like to see someone try-just try to compare the Lowes Foods in Gibsonville to any Harris Teeter! While it serves our needs by having an in town store(and we dont want it to close)....it is a far cry from Harris Teeter on so many levels. The only thing I can find they have in common is that they both sell food. :D

Archived