Bi-Lo Sells NC Stores

DigitalSky

It's official: Harris Teeter will take over the Lawndale store next to Target.

That leaves (in Greensboro) the SFM Store on Wendover and on Alamance Church in question. I don't think they will get filled quickly..at least not by a conventional grocer.

I agree. There's almost nobody out there that could take those stores that doesn't have a location nearby. HT locating a Lawndale store so close to Friendly is going to be risky.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see someone try-just try to compare the Lowes Foods in Gibsonville to any Harris Teeter! While it serves our needs by having an in town store(and we dont want it to close)....it is a far cry from Harris Teeter on so many levels. The only thing I can find they have in common is that they both sell food. :D

The Gibsonville Lowes used to by a Byrd's Food Store, which by no means could be compared to a Harris Teeter. These stores are limited on square footage and are usually in more "blue collar" areas. Lowes has chosen not to give them the Fresh Smart treatment. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Lowes Foods popping up in Alamance in the near future....

:whistling:

I've noticed there doesn't seem to be many Byrds era Lowes Foods left. These stores seem to be more on par to Food Lion then Harris Teeter in large part due to their limit size and age. The only ones left that pop into my mind right now are the Gibsonville, Hillsborough (by the old Wal-Mart in Hillsborough Commons) and Oxford (by Wal-Mart) locations. I know that the tiny, and I mean tiny Lowes Foods ala Byrds off Hwy 70 in North Hillsborough closed recently, as well as the Mebane location in downtown Mebane. There was also a Lowes Foods in a Byrds location briefly years ago off of Hillsborough Road in Durham that closed almost immediately after the conversion. There are a few more Hannafords era Lowes Foods still in operation which are larger and more modern but still retain the overall Hannaford color cheme of the late '90's/very early 2000's.

I've noticed there doesn't seem to be many Byrds era Lowes Foods left. These stores seem to be more on par to Food Lion then Harris Teeter in large part due to their limit size and age. The only ones left that pop into my mind right now are the Gibsonville, Hillsborough (by the old Wal-Mart in Hillsborough Commons) and Oxford (by Wal-Mart) locations. I know that the tiny, and I mean tiny Lowes Foods ala Byrds off Hwy 70 in North Hillsborough closed recently, as well as the Mebane location in downtown Mebane. There was also a Lowes Foods in a Byrds location briefly years ago off of Hillsborough Road in Durham that closed almost immediately after the conversion. There are a few more Hannafords era Lowes Foods still in operation which are larger and more modern but still retain the overall Hannaford color cheme of the late '90's/very early 2000's.

If you shop at Lowes Foods, look for the store number at the check out line or look for it on their website. Stores 2-189 and 203-230 were built by Lowes. 190-202 Were Hannaford stores. Any store numbered in the 400's are former Byrd's stores, and there are still quite a few left.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately for the folks of Eden, they were unsuccessful in luring a Lowes Foods into a former Southern Family Markets (which was actually a Winn Dixie, not a Bi-lo, prior to being a SFM). Interestingly enough, that leaves Rockingham Coutny with one Lowes Foods store in Reidsville, and then a bunch of Food Lions and Wal-Mart Supercenters...

Harris Teeter, Winn Dixie and Bi-Lo have all vacated the county in recent years. http://www.edendailynews.com/servlet/Satel...d=1149191737864

In some towns, especially when a Wal-Mart supercenter opens, the demographics will show that the consumer base will flock to it. West Jefferson, Kinston, Lumberton, and Lexington are 3 prime examples. In my companies research, most grocery stores take a significant hit when the Wal-Mart opens but usually have built back up to pre Wal-Mart levels in 12-18 months. Sometimes though, the hit can be so bad that the location can't survive especially if this time period is longer.

Well, unfortunately for the folks of Eden, they were unsuccessful in luring a Lowes Foods into a former Southern Family Markets (which was actually a Winn Dixie, not a Bi-lo, prior to being a SFM). Interestingly enough, that leaves Rockingham Coutny with one Lowes Foods store in Reidsville, and then a bunch of Food Lions and Wal-Mart Supercenters...

Harris Teeter, Winn Dixie and Bi-Lo have all vacated the county in recent years. http://www.edendailynews.com/servlet/Satel...d=1149191737864

It seems like a few yrs ago (well 10ish) there were still alot of Harris Teeters left over from, say, the Big Star era, and those stores were more Food Lionish then upscale. I think 10-15 years ago Harris Teeter was more middle range before they started building these mega upscale stores of today. I think it's all a part of chains like Lowes Foods, Harris Teeter and Kroger trying to attract people who aren't just looking for the lowest price in an attempt to stay alive during the supercenter invasion of the late '90's to present.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived