Bi-Lo Sells NC Stores

DigitalSky

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

If I had a stake in the Compare Foods on Summit in Greensboro I would be very POed. That place slid into the crapper so fast it is incredible! Product stacked up the ceiling, filthy shelves, dirty floors, cardboard boxes of product in the isles, etc. And they have ostracized their previous core of loyal black shoppers now because a majority of the inventory is now Hispanic products. Why not retain the black shoppers in the neighborhood and add 25% Hispanic products to attract Hispanic customers in the area?

P.S. This post is in no way a slam on Hispanics, just Compare Foods.

Compare Foods operates much more like a Franchise operation. They have a corporate staff that scouts locations and selects suitable stores. They often open the store while finding a suitable independant operator, usually of Hispanic origin, to operate and sell the location to. Most of their stores in N.C. are actually separate entities operating under the Compare Foods Logo.

If I had a stake in the Compare Foods on Summit in Greensboro I would be very POed. That place slid into the crapper so fast it is incredible! Product stacked up the ceiling, filthy shelves, dirty floors, cardboard boxes of product in the isles, etc. And they have ostracized their previous core of loyal black shoppers now because a majority of the inventory is now Hispanic products. Why not retain the black shoppers in the neighborhood and add 25% Hispanic products to attract Hispanic customers in the area?

P.S. This post is in no way a slam on Hispanics, just Compare Foods.

• 1 month later...

http://www.cpnonline.com/cpn/property_type...t_id=1003573912 a new article on the further breakup, breakdown and Sale of Bi-Lo. It's almost like Winn Dixie happening all over again. They speculate that many stores could be sold off to HT, Food Lion, and the likes

"You have Publix rolling north, Wegmans rolling south, and Lowes Foods and Harris Teeter expanding at a 360-degree basis. Bi-Lo has really been caught in the crossfire."

I can't say I like Wal*Mart - there's plenty of things that grate on me about the borg of retailers - but, I have come to accept that Wal*Mart does do some things well.

Two things I do like, are the 24 hour SuperCenters, and that I don't need a "savings" card to buy discounted items.

And the "always low prices" is helpful, if like me, you simply don't want to bother with coupons. I don't care if I could get something a little cheaper on "double coupon day". Bleah. I will do something else with my time, than actually READ junk mail, looking at coupons.

HT is really annoying about how they handle discounts. And when it says "2 for $5" you really must buy two for the discount. (Bi-Lo would let you buy one.) And you have to buy two of that flavor at HT, even if multiple flavors of the same brand are being discounted. :huh:

I guess the vast economies of scale at WM, allow them to just focus on getting the sales through and not gimmicking people as much.

Archived