History of Orlando

firemick

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

SAVE0008.jpg

Orlando 1978

This is one of my favorite pictures of downtown. I've had it since I took it off the 1978 phone book. It has been fun to refer back to this picture through out the years as the building booms of early 80's, late 80's, late 90's/early 2000's occured.

Say what you will about the quality of our skyline, but we have come a long way!

wow! incredible photos, guys. in that last one, that's the former First Union, Century Plaza, and Regions Banks, right?

the "Atlantic Bank" is designed like the former Atlantic Bank in Daytona on Seabreeze. probably the same architects.

I remember watching WFTV around that time and they would show the ariel chopper views of DT. That's when I discovered the Atlantic Bank and Signature Plaza bldgs. for the first time... I was like... wow. Now look at DT.

If CNA was built taller when it was built, maybe the height expectations would have been greater, ala that Park Tower in Tampa.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/eq74/SAVE0010.jpg

This is my favorite building proposal that was never built. At Orange and Magnolia a 10 story Pyramid (proposed around 1977). That is the Chamber of Commerce to the right of it. I think it would have made a great gateway to the people going West on I4. The buildings there now would only have enhanced it. It wasn't build because the payers, Budget Rent-A-Car, didn't think they could rent out the unused space. Oh well, nice to dream...

• 4 weeks later...
Apr0101.jpgI found this one at an estate sale. It's looking south from the north end of downtown Orlando. I'm not really sure when it was taken, but it's clearly before the East-West Expressway was built, which means it was before I was born. Anyway, Go Gators in the game tomorrow!

I found this one at an estate sale. It's looking south from the north end of downtown Orlando. I'm not really sure when it was taken, but it's clearly before the East-West Expressway was built, which means it was before I was born. Anyway, Go Gators in the game tomorrow!

Archived