What is the strongest football confrence?

brewerw

82 members have voted

1. 1. What is the strongest football confrence?

• Big 10
    • Big 12
    • ACC
    • Big East
    • Confrence USA
    • Mid American Confrence
    • Mountain West
    • SEC
    • Sun Belt
    • Western Athletic Confrence

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other thing you have to think about with this strength-of-conference stuff is rivalries. When teams like Michigan - Michgan St. or USC - Notre Dame play one another, many times it doesn't matter who has the better record. All that stuff goes out the window when hated rivals get together.

I've looked through all the Sagarin Poll archives and I'm listing below the strongest rated conferences from first through sixth each year from 1998 through 2005. Here are the results:

1998 - BIG 12, BIG 10, SEC, PAC 10, BIG EAST, ACC

1999 - BIG 10, SEC, ACC, BIG 12, PAC 10, MTN WEST

2000 - PAC 10, BIG 12, BIG 10,BIG EAST, SEC, ACC

2001 - SEC, BIG 12, PAC 10, ACC, BIG 10, BIG EAST

2002 - BIG 12, PAC 10, SEC, ACC, BIG 10, BIG EAST

2003 - ACC, SEC, BIG 10, PAC 10, BIG 12, BIG EAST

2004 - ACC, PAC 10, BIG 12, BIG 10, SEC, MTN WEST

2005 - BIG 10, ACC, PAC 10, SEC, BIG 12, MTN WEST

Looking at these results for each conference separately for the eight year period shows this:

ACC............(2) 1st, (1) 2nd, (1) 3rd, (2) 4th, (2) 6th

BIG 10........(2) 1st, (1) 2nd, (2) 3rd, (1) 4th, (2) 5th

BIG 12........(2) 1st, (2) 2nd, (1) 3rd, (1) 4th, (2) 5th

BIG EAST....(1) 4th, (1) 5th, (3) 6th

MTN WEST...(3) 6th

PAC 10........(1) 1st, (2) 2nd, (2) 3rd, (2) 4th, (1) 5th

SEC.............(1) 1st, (2) 2nd, (2) 3rd, (1) 4th, (2) 5th

Based on the above results which are based on eight years of polling, mountains of data, and take into account strength of schedule and many other factors, I conclude that there are five conferences which can all claim to be the best - The ACC, the BIG 10, the BIG 12, the PAC 10, and the SEC. Statistically, they're so close that you could say they're all equal. All the other conferences are considerably below these five.

I conclude that there are five conferences which can all claim to be the best - The ACC, the BIG 10, the BIG 12, the PAC 10, and the SEC. Statistically, they're so close that you could say they're all equal. All the other conferences are considerably below these five.

I agree

SEC and PAC 10 will dominate

The ACC is what it is today because of the Big East.

Imagine the MAC or something taking Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and Auburn out of the SEC.

Still burns me.

Yeah Pitt has been a big ol disaster, I will give Tyler Palko credit though he leads the conference in almost every passing stat, just that the O-Line is decimated by injuries and two of the best graduated last year leaving some true freshman there, D is ok but nothing stellar.

Pitt could very easily be 4-1 right now with the Ohio, Nebraska and Rutgers games being decided only in the final minutes, thats how the ball bounces though.

Give me a break! FSU put the ACC on the Map football wise... I wish some people would climb off of their horses and admit it.

:lol:

That is right, before FSU joined the ACC they were a very mediocre football conference. The SEC, on the other hand, is full of long-time powers: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Arkansas and Georgia.

• 3 weeks later...

and we found another way to lose. yay! :( well i hope bama takes it all the way to the championship game. congrats!

A very defensive game and a very slim victory. Thanks for the gracious Congrats. Both teams' defensive sides should feel proud of the job they did.

We've still got LSU and Auburn ahead of us and I've not been overly impressed with our offense the last couple of weeks. It doesn't give me a wide margin of confidence that we'll yet make it to the SEC championship. GA Vs. AL? Only time will tell.

^I have tickets to the Alabama vs LSU, that should be a great game!

Have you visited T-town before? I hope you have a pleasant stay and that the UA fans treat you hospitably.

It should be a good match-up. Although partial to my alma mater, I've visited Baton Rouge a few times and think LSU has a beautiful campus as well.

Have you visited T-town before? I hope you have a pleasant stay and that the UA fans treat you hospitably.

It should be a good match-up. Although partial to my alma mater, I've visited Baton Rouge a few times and think LSU has a beautiful campus as well.

Ive been to Tuscaloosa a few times for UA games, the fans have always been great.

Alabama's campus is very nice, its one of my favorites.

Sports Illustrated's Stewart Mandel weighs in on this topic:

SEC fans need to accept that the conference is down

SEC fan - "If Tennessee was to play Michigan's schedule, the Vols would be undefeated!"

Mandel - "And how do you propose Tennessee would go undefeated exactly? By out-punting Penn State and Wisconsin?"

Mandel - "In my current conference pecking order, the SEC falls behind those two leagues (PAc-10, ACC), but ahead of the defensively-challenged Big Ten and one-horse Big 12."

Sports Illustrated's Stewart Mandel weighs in on this topic:

SEC fans need to accept that the conference is down

SEC fan - "If Tennessee was to play Michigan's schedule, the Vols would be undefeated!"

Mandel - "And how do you propose Tennessee would go undefeated exactly? By out-punting Penn State and Wisconsin?"

Mandel - "In my current conference pecking order, the SEC falls behind those two leagues (PAc-10, ACC), but ahead of the defensively-challenged Big Ten and one-horse Big 12."

i want to ask mandel what would happen if michigan was to play tennessee's schedule. florida, georgia, alabama, lsu and notre dame. all of which have been in the top 10 this year when tennesse played them. the only reason tennesse, florida and lsu have lost are because of sec losses. the sec is tough.

The SEC isn't that tough this year. Right now, Michigan would probably beat anyone in the SEC. They are hot & the SEC is either banged up or down this year. On a neutral field, I'd take Mich. over anyone in the SEC this week. If Georgia had Shokley, I might change my mind about that match-up. Ditto Prothro at Alabama.

The SEC isn't that tough this year. Right now, Michigan would probably beat anyone in the SEC. They are hot & the SEC is either banged up or down this year. On a neutral field, I'd take Mich. over anyone in the SEC this week. If Georgia had Shokley, I might change my mind about that match-up. Ditto Prothro at Alabama.

how could a team that is 5-3 be hot?

Archived