What is the strongest football confrence?

brewerw

82 members have voted

1. 1. What is the strongest football confrence?

• Big 10
    • Big 12
    • ACC
    • Big East
    • Confrence USA
    • Mid American Confrence
    • Mountain West
    • SEC
    • Sun Belt
    • Western Athletic Confrence

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you still can't be hot with 3 losses.

You must not follow college football I guess. Mich., in the last 3 weeks has beat Iowa, Penn St., & Northwestern. That my friend is what you would call hot, especially considering their lousy play early on when they were banged up. Michigan today would beat anyone in the SEC because the SEC is beat & down currently.

You must not follow college football I guess. Mich., in the last 3 weeks has beat Iowa, Penn St., & Northwestern. That my friend is what you would call hot, especially considering their lousy play early on when they were banged up. Michigan today would beat anyone in the SEC because the SEC is beat & down currently.

Though Mich. is on a hot streak, I do not hear about any other outstanding teams in their confrence.

On the other hand, the SEC is very consistant (LSU, Florida, Alabama and so on) and the above poll shows it.

Though Mich. is on a hot streak, I do not hear about any other outstanding teams in their confrence.

On the other hand, the SEC is very consistant (LSU, Florida, Alabama and so on) and the above poll shows it.

In most years you would be correct, not this year. Penn St., Ohio St., Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St. Northwestern, Minnesota & Iowa are all solid teams.

Also the above poll is bunk, it leaves out the best conference!

Non-Scientific and Based on Personnal Perception at this point in season:

5 points for Good, 3 points for Average, 1 point for Poor

ACC 42 Total Points Average 3.5

Good 4

Average 7

Poor 1

Big Ten 37 Total Points Average 3.36

Good 3

Average 7

Poor 1

SEC 40 Total Points Average 3.33

Good 5

Average 4

Poor 3

PAC 10 32 Total Points Average 3.2

Good 3

Average 5

Poor 2

Big East 24 Total Points Average 3.0

Good 1

Average 6

Poor 1

Big Twelve 34 Total Points Average 2.8

Good 3

Average 5

Poor 4

Interested in other viewpoints that take into consideration entire conference, not just top two or three teams. Again, good-average-poor relative and not saying equal.

How can you rate the SEC over the Pac-10?

From the Mandel column:

In my current conference pecking order, the SEC falls behind those two leagues, but ahead of the defensively-challenged Big Ten and one-horse Big 12. Then again, how would I know? Perhaps if the Tide or Bulldogs had beaten an Ohio State or Notre Dame in their non-conference slate rather than Middle Tennessee, Southern Miss, Utah State, Boise State or Louisiana-Monroe, I'd have a better measuring stick. In the absence of that, perhaps the best point of comparison you can make is this: USC gained more yards against Arkansas in a two-minute span (261) than Georgia did against the Razorbacks over the course of an entire game (217).

Here is another article on the SEC being down, this time from the Atlanta J-C:

SEC goes from All-Mighty to overrated

From the Mandel column:

In my current conference pecking order, the SEC falls behind those two leagues, but ahead of the defensively-challenged Big Ten and one-horse Big 12. Then again, how would I know? Perhaps if the Tide or Bulldogs had beaten an Ohio State or Notre Dame in their non-conference slate rather than Middle Tennessee, Southern Miss, Utah State, Boise State or Louisiana-Monroe, I'd have a better measuring stick. In the absence of that, perhaps the best point of comparison you can make is this: USC gained more yards against Arkansas in a two-minute span (261) than Georgia did against the Razorbacks over the course of an entire game (217).

well mandel just shows again that he's basing all of the pac-10 on the play of usc. and how can he talk about georgia and alabama not playing anyone when usc has had one tough game (notre dame)?

well mandel just shows again that he's basing all of the pac-10 on the play of usc.

Also from the Mandel column you didn't read:

"In the Pac-10, the current seventh-place team, Arizona State, came within a stone's throw of beating top-10 foes USC and LSU, and the eighth-place team, Washington State, was a combined seven points from beating 7-0 UCLA and 6-2 Cal."

and how can he talk about georgia and alabama not playing anyone when usc has had one tough game (notre dame)?

Notre Dame was not USC's toughest opponent. Oregon was. Also USC still has to play Fresno St., Cal & UCLA who are both as good, and in the case of a healthy Cal squad, better than Notre Dame.

From the Mandel column:

Sundodger, I did not say that this was definitive answer. I said it was an opinion of how many teams in a given league were good, average, or poor. The averages just fell out. I could have easily considered 4 teams in the PAC 10 to be good vs 3. The PAC 10 would have averaged out at 3.4. That would have brought them in at two. I did not set out to predetermine where any conference fell. I could easily say that Cal and UCLA have walked the line all season with flirting with losses and that USC was very, very lucky to have won in South Bend. I didn't and wouldn't. There is a lot of luck and a ability to avoid injury to get through a season with no losses. It really doesn't matter how good a team it is or who they play.

To be fair: Take out the third highest in one division in the SEC and fourth highest in the other and run the PAC 10 SEC head to head

USC vs Alabama USC win

Oregon vs Georgia (with out a quarterback for Georgia) Oregon win

UCLA vs Auburn Auburn win

California vs Florida (battle of the walking wounded ) Florida win

Arizona State vs LSU LSU win

Oregon State vs Vanderbilt (both look pretty ugly when you think about it) Vanderbilt win

Stanford vs Arkansas (Stanford improving with season. That UC Davis loss, yech) Stanford win

Arizona vs Tennessee (Ugly defensive battle) Tennessee win

Washington vs Kentucky Kentucky win

Washington State vs Mississippi State Mississippi State win

This way I count 3 of 10 wins. Even if they are home and home games, the only home crowd in the PAC 10 is that scary 32,000 at Oregon. Maybe if I look closer, I drop the PAC 10 down in my rankings.

Cal would beat Florida & UCLA probably would beat Auburn too. I would also take WAZZU over MSU & WA over KY too.

Basically the Pac-10 has one great team, 5 or 6 good teams, a couple of average teams, & one mediocre one. WAZZU, the 2nd worst team in the PAc-10 isn't a bad team. All of their losses have come in the Pac-10.

Maybe this will make you happy. Though because of one thing, I don't think it will. This is based on the ranking from the College Football Ranking Comparison www.mratings.com The averages of the teams are based on 86 different polls. Using the same 10 teams from each conference versus one another that I used in my fun assessment. Using their assesments, the PAC 10 would win 6 and lose 4. I say Who Knows. That is why the games are played. As for Cal beating Florida and UCLA beating Auburn, the Polls don't think so. Using 1-25 as good, 26-70 as average, and 71+ as poor. Pac 10 3 Good, 5 Average, 2 Poor SEC 5 Good, 3 Average, 4 Poor. I also added in the non-conference opponents for both conferences. Both have some stinkers. PAC 10 6 non1A, SEC 7 non1A. The only really bad loss was by Stanford to UC Davis though Washington losing to Air Force, Vandy losing to MTSU, and MSU losing to Houston were bad as well. Back to the original intent from my previous post. I have been trying to be completely fair. I have not been trying to Rah, Rah one conference versus any other. If you think that have been, that is your perception and not my intent.

School Ranking W/L Non-Conference

Arizona 66 3-6 Utah 5-4, N Arizona non1A, Purdue 3-6

Arizona State 29 5-4 Temple 0-10, LSU 7-1, Northwestern 6-3

California 36 6-3 Sac State non1A, Illinois 2-7, NM State 0-9

Oregon 8 8-1 Houston 4-4, Montana non1A, Fresno St 7-1

Oregon State 53 5-4 Portland St non1A, Boise St 7-2, Louisville 6-2

Stanford 45 4-4 Navy 5-3, UC Davis non1A, Notre Dame 6-2

UCLA 22 8-1 SD St 3-6, Rice 0-8, Oklahoma 5-3

Southern Cal 2 9-0 Hawaii 3-6, Arkansas 2-6, No Dame 6-2, Fresno 7-1

Washington 99 1-8 Air Force 3-7, Idaho 2-6, Notre Dame 6-2

Washington State 77 3-6 Idaho 2-6, Nevada 5-3, Grambling non1A

Alabama 7 9-0 MTSU 3-4, Southern Miss 4-3, Utah St 2-6