Hollingsworth Land

gs3

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is certainly big news. I found out that the ICAR land used to be in the Hollingsworth estate. A huge plus for this land is that the rail line that goes to Simpsonville passes trough it. If done correctly, this can be developed with density (TOD) to encourage a future light rail or commuter rail stop.

The vacant property alone was purchased for $90 million! :w00t:

This will literally change Greenville, as Mayor White said. It is going to be a massive development that will center around high-quality living. I heard that at least 6,500 new residences would call Verde home someday, and thousands of new jobs will be created. This is indeed the most welcome news I've heard in a long time. :D

The Verdae link is nice! Great to see the photos of the bridge proposals to cross 85. Quality.

This area along 85 is booming. Kinda cool all this development joins each other (Verdae, ICAR, Millenium Campus, The Point, Shops at Greenridge). Seems that everyone is working hard to make sure it is all very pedestrian friendly and not just sprawl.

This is a great time to live in Greenville! This city continues to reinvent itself and focus on quality.

Very Nice!!! :D I was also surprised to see that every photo on the Office plan slide showed high-rises. After viewing everything made available about Verdae, I would agree that this is Greenville's version of Ballantyne in Charlotte. That is where I would live if I had to move up there. I wonder if the buildings in Verdae will all bear the development logo like Ballantyne?

Very Nice!!! :D  I was also surprised to see that every photo on the Office plan slide showed high-rises.  After viewing everything made available about Verdae, I would agree that this is Greenville's version of Ballantyne in Charlotte.  That is where I would live if I had to move up there.  I wonder if the buildings in Verdae will all bear the development logo like Ballantyne?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would be great to see a mini skyline around I-85. :D

It looks pretty good I think. I wish it was a little more oriented for future mass transit. Now if we could only get a larger version of the master plan.... ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It should be set up for mass transit. The abandoned rail line that the city has been looking at for (long range) light rail runs right through this property (it crosses Verdae) and connects south to ICAR, then Mauldin, Simpsonville. North to (near) Palmetto Center, Downtown, Furman, Travelers Rest.

You're right, would be great to get a larger master plan.

The vacant property alone was purchased for $90 million! :w00t:

This will literally change Greenville, as Mayor White said.  It is going to be a massive development that will center around high-quality living.  I heard that at least 6,500 new residences would call Verde home someday, and thousands of new jobs will be created.  This is indeed the most welcome news I've heard in a long time. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, yesterday's Greenville News said that ther could be homes for 10,000 residents. That will be a huge boost for the city. :)

• 3 weeks later...

There is an interesting article in today's Greenville News regarding possible road improvements to accomodate the anticipated traffic surge once Verdae and ICAR begin to really develop.

Verdae development expected to demand road upgrades

Some of the roads which are expected to see a significant increase are:

• Laurens Road

• Woodruff Road

• Rocky Slope Road

• Old Sulpher Springs Road

• Roper Mountain Road

• Verdae Boulevard

Woodruff rd needs a lot of help! There is only so far you can widen this street due to businesses and such. I know that this is far fetched and crazy but...:unsure::wacko: what if they built a tunnel or some underground road that would help people commuting to bypass traffic? or some other sort of road that would alleviate the stress and frustration that occurs sitting on woodruff at all times of the day!?

Woodruff rd needs a lot of help! There is only so far you can widen this street due to businesses and such. I know that this is far fetched and crazy but...:unsure:  :wacko:  what if they built a tunnel or some underground road that would help people commuting to bypass traffic?  or some other sort of road that would alleviate the stress and frustration that occurs sitting on woodruff at all times of the day!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt it. 385 is way too close for that. :)

That's where a good mass transit system should step in; Busses to drive many of the local shoppers and light rail to carry the visitors and suburbanites. Now there's a dream that can't come true too soon! ^_^ It's only a matter of time. I guess in regards to less traffic, we'll just have to be patient for now. <_<

• 1 month later...

Cut through from Woodruff to Verdae last night on the two lane road (don't know the name of the road) that comes out at the intersection by Budget Car Rental.

Looks like a lot of clearing is happening on the Verdae land, so the first phase must be underway. Anybody know what's involved in the first phase of Verdae?

Archived