PRELIMINARY: Empire World Towers

Aessotariq

Related UrbanPlanet.org topics: [ | South Florida Projects & Construction |

]

Posted on Thu, May. 05, 2005

DOWNTOWN MIAMI

Plans for world's tallest condo tower unveiled

Miami's new landmark? A developer is proposing to build the world's tallest condo tower -- 1,200 feet and 110 stories high -- on Biscayne Boulevard.

BY MATTHEW HAGGMAN

[email protected]

The South Florida building boom may be reaching new heights, with a developer proposing what could be the world's tallest condominium in downtown Miami.

Leon Cohen is preparing to submit plans with the city of Miami to build a condo tower and apartment-hotel tower that would each rise 1,200 feet along Biscayne Boulevard.

If built, both 110-story skyscrapers would be the tallest in Florida, and the condo tower would rank as the tallest residential high-rise in the world, Cohen said.

Read more: Miami Herald

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found an article in the AJC, that is quoting the Miami herald. I quoted a piece of the article showing that a Miami developer wants to build 110 story, 1200 foot condo tower in Miami. It would certainly become the largest building in the SE, would be the callest concrete building in the world, and would be the tallest residential tower in the world.

The article mentions that height restriction might come into play, with a quote from a neighboring developer who said his buildings were limited to 649 feet.

Even though this will surprass BOA in Atlanta, I hope this gets built. Great news for Miami.

Leon Cohen bought the property Monday for $31.7 million and is preparing to submit plans for a 110-story tower that would be 1,200 feet tall. A companion tower of the same height would be a combination hotel-apartment building.

^It sounds like two towers. Twin towers, perhaps?

I'm not getting my hopes up on this. Miami has seen its fair share of wacky, never-built proposals before. And I think there's height limits...

But it sounds really cool, and it would add to all the urban architecture that's really putting Miami on the map!

^ great find Aessotariq...very simple design to say the least and the way they sit on the lot seems to block the bay views of the round tower.

Still if they get built they will have a commanding prescence on the skyline.Thanks for the renderings.

disgraceful. the buildings could be designed with a cookie cutter. how is that architecture??

yes, it will add to the skyline. but for the many who perceive it on the street level, it is terrible. this kind of architecture is one of the reasons that street life in many downtowns is dead--blank walls offset from the street, much like a castle that has blank walls to defend itself from a hostile environment. The people who designed this building probably don't know much of anything about cities and have never steped foot out of their cars and actually perceived things the way people in cities do--on foot, from the street.

I think the money would be a big factor for the budget of the towers so you would have to take that in consideration. Its just a rendering and buildings always change before they are built so I wouldn't worry and its not a good pic of it either.

disgraceful. the buildings could be designed with a cookie cutter. how is that architecture??

yes, it will add to the skyline. but for the many who perceive it on the street level, it is terrible. this kind of architecture is one of the reasons that street life in many downtowns is dead--blank walls offset from the street, much like a castle that has blank walls to defend itself from a hostile environment. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The footprint of the building is L-shaped and would follow the perimeter of the parcel. It's also large enough to provide plenty of retail space at street level if done right, which is now required by the zoning code. But again, it's a preliminary rendering that subject to change at any time... It still has to pass FAA muster and not be perceived to interfere with flight paths.

I've heard it described as NYC's Trump World Tower with Atlanta's Westin Peachtree.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That description hit the nail right on the head, thats exactly what it looks like :lol: . I was hoping for something a bit more original but 110 stories will be great if it goes through. I think Miami has a 900ft height limit due to the airport but maybe they can work out some sort of deal with this one.

How is 1200ft stacked up with all other tall buildings in USA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sears Tower - 1450 ft.

Empire State Bldg - 1250ft

WTC - 1368 ft.

edit: looks like Dale got here first :)

Atlanta's Bank of America tower is 1023 feet, including the ~300 ft. spire (part of the structure, therefore officially counted).

Archived