PRELIMINARY: Empire World Towers

Aessotariq

The towers are a bit plain, but they will definitely be a great addition to the skyline. I guess this answers the ongoing thread asking the question "Will Florida ever get a 1,000 footer?" I hope this project is completed.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!!!

As soon as I got into the webpage i saw this and I said "No Way".This would be probably as great as the Big Dig in Boston.I dont really care if they cut the height by 100-500 ft., its still going to be 1000 ft.I hope it happens.I would go to downtown just to see the towers.

In the report, Aviation Management concluded Empire World Towers would create some problems for aviation but that those issues could be solved.
See there might be a chance that it could still be high at least 900 ft.

''Would they go to 1,200? I have no idea,'' Martin said, who added that projects like Cohen's, which are located closer to downtown Miami, may be allowed to rise higher.

Cohen insists he can win approvals for the two towering structures -- and expressed total confidence he can build at least 900 feet high.

Miami21 probably won't be finished by the time the application process begins for this building. It will probably slip through the cracks. Nevertheless, with that said, the existing zoning code for "Central Business District" is a bit stricter on land use than it used to be. In the projects I've been following, the most recent ones have only been mixed use, with, at a minimum, a ground-level retail, and sometimes office component.

I guess I could say I disagree with all of you. Regardless of the fact that this is by no means a final design, the representation in that image just about violates every principle of architectural design and urban planning. They would have to completely redo the entire design to make it even the slightest bit beneficial to the urban fabric of Miami, especially given how tall they intend to build it. The suggestion that budget constraints restrict the architect in including ANY articulation in the fa

Your assertion would imply that places such as Tokyo or Hong Kong could not have an urban fabric because of their modern architecture and tall buildings (especially in Hong Kong's case). And clearly that's not the case.

I agree with you that there should be a strong focus on infill and densifying surrounding areas, as well as building up the surrounding area. But that's already happening. Remember also that market forces are also at play, and this involves a signature street. No midrise belongs on a street such as Biscayne Boulevard. Leave those for secondary streets. There are literally hundreds of hundreds of projects of varying size in varying stages of development throughout the city, with many, many more to come; the boom is extraordinary and incomprehensible, easily rivaling that of New York and Chicago.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As a South Floridian, I've grown up with tinted reflective glass, Mediterranean revival, art deco, Miami modern (MiMo), and pastel colors. Two buildings of different shapes built on an irregular lot is an intriguing idea to me. I am looking forward to further renderings and I definitely want to see what the L-shaped base will look like.

A few things: since I scanned this picture from a newspaper, the newsprint makes it appear darker than it actually would be. The building's glass would actually have a bluish tint, which is appropriate for Miami's tropical color scheme (as well as being a light color suitable for the climate). The mere size of this building makes an issue like budget constraints rather dubious.

The story appeared on all local news stations. WFOR-TV was the only one that made their broadcast avaiable online. There is a screenshot:

empireworldtowers6xm.jpg

The broadcast can be found here

I have to agree.....while I love tall buildings, these are horrendous. It is apparantl that no site planner was consulted, and the architect is probably a friend of the developers.

Beyond all that, 1,200 feet seems too tall IMO......1,000, maybe, but these will look so out of place that the rest of the skyline will all but disappear. When Charlotte proposed the 100 story First Union tower, I was estatic until I saw a rendering of it in the skyline. It dominated everything, and the beauty of the rest of the skyline was lost.

A gradual build-up to this may eventually make sense, but how about first a couple of 900s, then a 1,000 or two.......but for regardless, for the love of god hire an architect with a real vision.

Well, I agree with Aessotariq that the skyline is gradually getting up there. While those towers look boldy out of place in that pic ^, we should also keep in mind that the pic doesn't show any of the MET buildings, nor 50 Biscayne, nor Everglades on the Bay. So there will be more tall towers around it.

I wouldn't mind seeing just one tower on the site. It wouldn't look so discombobulated and irregular. Kinda like the Four Seasons tower. It has a large base, but just one, sleek tower.

I happened upon this thread by accident, but I have to say those buildings are quite uninspired. Let's hope that these are just very prelim. renderings that will undergo MAJOR changes before groundbreaking. Something as simple as sheething these simple shapes in reflective glass (similar to Boston's Hancock Tower) could save the day - making them almost dissapear into the skyline.

you guys are criticizing these renderings like if they're the final ones, i believe this is just the preliminary site study.and as for those saying that the skyline won't look right with them,anybody remember how wierd the four seasons renderings looked--in the four seasons rendering it was just four seasons and a couple of 50ft buildings now look at that same skyline shot 6years later and its alot different with esp,jade,pp,1390 and others.

whenever the real renderings come out we'll come to love these buildings,except for riverside gator which seems to hate evrything

• 2 weeks later...

whenever the real renderings come out we'll come to love these buildings,except for riverside gator which seems to hate evrything

I like a lot of buildings in Miami. I like the two current tallest buildings in Miami (I forget their names). I just think the renderings for this Empire project were mediocre. I am sure they will change - hopefully dramatically. Please dont exaggerate.

I hate to state the obvious but.... The twin towers in new york city towered over its surrounding buildings. In fact they were almost double the size of the next tallest. You people are also forgetting that the met towers will be completed and they will even it out. SO RELAX!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that we should wait and see the final renderings.

I'm really excited about these buildings and their heights. I wish Atlanta could be getting these buildings. They would look great near the BOA building. I am curious as to what the floorplans will look like. Miami is such an exciting city. I am seriously considering obtaining my real estate license in Florida so I can sell in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade counties. =)

• 3 months later...

Archived