PRELIMINARY: Empire World Towers

Aessotariq

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scale seems a bit off on this one, the front tower looking taller than the back one... Maybe it's the angle.

In the first one, the skybridges are a great idea. Imagine the views...It's interesting to note, though, that there's nothing shown supporting them in the drawing (like for the Petronas Towers).

its just the angle,the one thing that i don't like about ewt is the fact that the developer doesn't want to buy the land on which the holidayinn sits on but w/e. i hope that the faa rules on the height sometime soon,so we can get one with our lives and the developer can chicken out.

also i forgot to say that i wish a rendering which better depicts the facade,right now its difficult to see where its glass and where its concrete

You know what that reminds me of? The WTC and the little Marriott/Vista on the corner... Only this is a less classy Holiday Inn. :lol:

Here's a fantasy for you: at a future date the Holiday Inn gets torn down and replaced with a triplet tower... in the original rendering we had a cylinder and a rectangle, how about a right triangle for the next tower? Reminds me of the old UPN logo :)

I would be pissed if I have to park at the 18th floor daily.

Hopefully, by the time these are built, driving everywhere won't be a necessity, and you won't have to drive up 18 floors daily... Wishful thinking, I know, but I just can't wait to see Miami begin to realize it's full potential!

Hopefully, by the time these are built, driving everywhere won't be a necessity, and you won't have to drive up 18 floors daily... Wishful thinking, I know, but I just can't wait to see Miami begin to realize it's full potential!

Probably not enough space to do it, but it would be neat if they could design the garage similarly to Universal's, where you can exit to ground level relatively quickly without driving in circles. But then, there are people who do the climb each day if they park at the any of the office towers.. One Biscayne Tower is the building with the red candy-striped antenna on it, and the bottom third of the building is a garage.

I'm gonna share Topher's optimism: by the time these are built, there will be more high-end shopping and other everyday conveniences that won't require daily automobile use. Downtown Miami already has a Macy's (originally Florida's first Burdines), Met3 will have a Whole Foods Market, Publix will definitely want to enter downtown (they already have 2 stores in Brickell, and 1 u/c). And hopefully the people who live there, if they work, will work downtown or in Brickell and take the Metromover or Streetcar to work, or work in an area easily accessible via Metrorail. And, looking even farther ahead, those who work in Doral or Blue Lagoon will be able to get there via Metrorail's new East-West line.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I read somewhere that it is still in the works but the height had to be cut by a large sum. I could be completely wrong though.

According to the City's latest large-scale development report (updated through April), the project still hasn't filed a formal application for approval; it's still listed as "Preliminary":

http://www.ci.miami.fl.us/Planning/pages/M...2006-Legal).xls

The Empire project is on row 173. The height is still listed at 1,200 feet; however, this Miami Herald article suggests that the FAA's got a problem with that height:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/14014387.htm

Albaby

I don't see how the FAA should have any concern over the heights of buildings in the area between I-395 and the Miami River. That area is out of reach from the airport runway paths. Just look at any satellite map. Even Little Havana is far out of reach. I don't understand, but then again I'm no expert at aviation.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any updates on this project? Unlikely it will be the tallest building in the world.....actually it is unlikely that the US will hold that title any time in the foreseeable future. It is my understanding that Federal air space starts at 2,000 feet and getting thought that red tape to build a taller building is rather unlikely. There area several buildings that are in construction that should top that mark. One in Chicago is at that mark, but not over. Too bad though, it would be GREAT to have a world record in Florida. Though, I understand these might make the worlds tallest condo tower, so that is a great thing.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived