A Compilation of Good Ideas

A request for anyone who has more time (or interest) than I do:  tally up the number of parking spots in surface lots in the Downcity/Capital Center area (or just Downcity).  I'd be curious to see how many parking spots (I'd presume it's a pathetically small number) are holding back all sorts of development.  If we could see that on a map, that'd be great as well.  Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.providenceri.com/transportation/parkingmap.html

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

great idea PVDJack, turbines would be a nice addition - although I don't know where the best place would be for them. As far as the RISD solar house goes, it will not be right next to the river from everything I've heard. It will likely end up just down hill from the Woods Gerry building on the corner of Prospect and meeting. Apparently RISD made a space which is closer to the corner of Angel and Congdon but I'm not really sure.

On the subject of wind power, this week's Narragansett Electric (aka National Grid) bill includes a postcard to allow you to opt in to purchasing renewable energy. Of the two supplier selections, one is RI-based People's Power and Light who are selling power from the Hull, MA wind turbine. The cost to opt-in is $.015/kwh, or about $7-8/mo for a normal household.

I'd love to see more wind power development. In fact, that might provide some karmic redemption for Bald Hill.

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo-2...2.e8efc336.html

a good question and answer articel with Providence Mayor. He does mention that road, sign, traffic lights and realted topics were all neglected by past city official. He now says that all of those issues are starting to be or will begin to be taken care of very soon, so thats good news

I'd really like to see something on that empty land across from the mall (between it and the train station and across the street from the state house).

From what I understand they dont want any buildings there so as to protect the views of the State House, therefore I think a park or garden of some type (like a Japanese, Chinese, English, Rose or Botanical, to throw out a few) would be great there which could also be a tourist attraction in itself, and put something attractive and useful on that dead spot.

I'd really like to see something on that empty land across from the mall (between it and the train station and across the street from the state house).

From what I understand they dont want any buildings there so as to protect the views of the State House, therefore I think a park or garden of some type (like a Japanese, Chinese, English, Rose or Botanical, to throw out a few) would be great there which could also be a tourist attraction in itself, and put something attractive and useful on that dead spot.

That parcel (Station Park) is going to be redone with Transportation Enhancement funding through the DOT, as long as everything goes as planned...

will it be a park? any rough idea approximately when this might happen?

Yes it'll stil be a park. All I can remember is some new walkways and plantings and bus/trolley pull in on Francis St. I think. Probly a year or two before it happens, since its federally funded it has to go through a whole bunch of red tape.

Yes it'll stil be a park. All I can remember is some new walkways and plantings and bus/trolley pull in on Francis St. I think. Probly a year or two before it happens, since its federally funded it has to go through a whole bunch of red tape.

Interesting... As to the original question of why something more substantial isn't there, I believe the reason previously discussed here is that there is a gaggle of utility lines and other elements (for example, the rail lines and tunnel) immediately under the park, so nothing can be built there.

Like much in Providence, it wouldn't be such a big deal if the area was well cared for, which it isn't.

- Garris

Interesting... As to the original question of why something more substantial isn't there, I believe the reason previously discussed here is that there is a gaggle of utility lines and other elements (for example, the rail lines and tunnel) immediately under the park, so nothing can be built there.

Also there are major drainage issues there, which the project will hope to solve as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, I think it's time UP adjusts the time here :blush:

It's fine for me. You have to go into "My Controls" and under "Options" choose "Board Settings" and check "Adjust for DST." That's for those pesky Indianans and Arizonans who don't observe.

It's fine for me. You have to go into "My Controls" and under "Options" choose "Board Settings" and check "Adjust for DST." That's for those pesky Indianans and Arizonans who don't observe.

I tried that but it's not working. I'm still showing an hour ahead. This might work if I choose Central time instead of Eastern time.