A Compilation of Good Ideas

The rebirth of Valley St. and the buzz about Pawtucket's revitalization has me thinking about a few things. Is Providence becoming complacent with so many mill renovations in the Promenade that developers will look first to Pawtucket, where prospective investors have been receiving the VIP treatment?

So, what is the VIP treatment that Pawtucket offers? Do they really offer something different or is it just perception?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what is the VIP treatment that Pawtucket offers? Do they really offer something different or is it just perception?

From what I've read, Pawtucket seems to have that "we'll try harder" attitude when it comes to attracting businesses. When Providence's artists were priced out of the city's new lofts, Pawtucket was already working to find a way to make it happen. The city has amended licensing of cafes to serve alcohol to fast-track the process and bring more people downtown. Where else can you relocate your business and have 2 guys and a city truck at your service to help with the move? That's the VIP treatment if I ever heard of it.

Perception is reality. And it sure looks like Herb Weiss is doing a hell of a job up there.

http://www.artinruins.com/stories/essays/

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...x.177bc980.html

...just 2 examples.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I actually love it and have loved it since I first saw it proposed a while back. I like that it's a tower on the highway end, then slants downward until it is a height at Dot Ave. that is more in scale with the rest of South Boston (position a building right and that's excellent real estate for solar cells). I like the roof gardens. I like the modern design. I like the modern design treatment. I like that it is using what had been seen as an unattractive development space, along the edge of the railroad and the expressway.

• 2 months later...

I think downtown Providence definitely needs more new upscale clothing stores such as Lacoste, Kenneth Cole, United Colors of Benneton, Armani Exchange, etc. Weybossett and Westminster are great locations for these.

That is one thing Providence misses out on, for the woman too the whole Dolce and Gabana, Coach, Burberry etc stores. If they could get a few down there it would draw a little away from Boston and the Prudential Center Mall possibly?

That is one thing Providence misses out on, for the woman too the whole Dolce and Gabana, Coach, Burberry etc stores. If they could get a few down there it would draw a little away from Boston and the Prudential Center Mall possibly?

i don't think we currently have the population to support those higher end stores. i think some of those might have to wait until people are living in the westin and waterplace condos... and maybe even OTW.

there's actually quite a few higher end stores at the mall. i really wish brooks brothers was less expensive. i like their dress shirts... but at $60+ each... i'll stick with kohls.

want a 25% off coupon, my fraternal brother is father is the CFO of brooks brothers lots of coupons. just pm me... anyone of you actually.

I like how Prudential Mall has the mall with sections that are for "average" consumers, and then they have sections with all those stores with higher end consumers. Maybe the mall doesnt get enough of those buyers because of the mall its self. The mall is kind of to large and a pain in the ass. If those stores were more centralized to each other it might increase and draw more interest. Most of them are on the first floor but reall spread out. If you notice on the third floor they have the food court and all those young adult stores right in the same area to detract away from the other stores, so maybe something like that would work for the higher income storeS?

I like how Prudential Mall has the mall with sections that are for "average" consumers, and then they have sections with all those stores with higher end consumers. Maybe the mall doesnt get enough of those buyers because of the mall its self. The mall is kind of to large and a pain in the ass. If those stores were more centralized to each other it might increase and draw more interest. Most of them are on the first floor but reall spread out. If you notice on the third floor they have the food court and all those young adult stores right in the same area to detract away from the other stores, so maybe something like that would work for the higher income storeS?