I-385

gs3

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had seen at one time where ideas were being submitted for a "landmark" announcing Greenville at the intersection of I-385 and I-85.

One idea called for dozens/hundreds of spot-lit flag poles with international flags representing the international companies that call Greenville County home.

Another idea called for a wall (similar to the one at Cherrydale Point, only much larger) simply saying "Welcome to Greenville" in nice lit purple, white, and green lettering.

There were others - but I don't recall what they were.

Does anyone know if any idea has been picked or what became of this effort? Is there any information out there oneline about the plans for this intersection?

I had heard the same thing about the flags. Like that idea....cool. :thumbsup:

I think this was suppose to start at the end of the 385 construction...haven't heard anymore.

Also, once this initial widening of 385 from downtown to 85 is finished, I heard widening was suppose to start on the section of 385 from 85 to Fairview Road in Simpsonville. Anybody know anything about that? All the interchanges on 385 in Simpsonville are currently being rebuilt (West Georgia and Harrison Bridge, Fairview is finished).

Also, once this initial widening of 385 from downtown to 85 is finished, I heard widening was suppose to start on the section of 385 from 85 to Fairview Road in Simpsonville.  Anybody know anything about that?  All the interchanges on 385 in Simpsonville are currently being rebuilt (West Georgia and Harrison Bridge, Fairview is finished).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't find anythign official, but I would think this is in the works. That section of 385 is just as bad as the rest. I personally think 385 and 26 (both from 85) should be 6 lanes all the way to Columbia.

I had seen at one time where ideas were being submitted for a "landmark" announcing Greenville at the intersection of I-385 and I-85.

One idea called for dozens/hundreds of spot-lit flag poles with international flags representing the international companies that call Greenville County home.

Another idea called for a wall (similar to the one at Cherrydale Point, only much larger) simply saying "Welcome to Greenville" in nice lit purple, white, and green lettering.

There were others - but I don't recall what they were.

Does anyone know if any idea has been picked or what became of this effort?  Is there any information out there oneline about the plans for this intersection?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had seen conceptual renderings of the favored plan, which showed very beautifully landscaped areas all around the interchange. There were ponds and some kind of sculpture, if I recall rightly. I'll see what I can dig up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see something like this done with the bridges and overpasses at the I-385/I-85 interchange:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=117368

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=118170

You can't really tell it from the photos, but on one end of the bridge is the county seal...on the other is the city seal. In between, the city name stretches across the bridge.

It will be very interesting to see Interstate 385 widened below Interstate 85. One project in itself is rebuilding the entire 85/385/Woodruff Road interchanges. Flyovers from 385 Northbound->85 Southbound and 85 Southbound->385 Southbound would be great.

If I'm correct, they are already making 385 wide enough from 185/276 below to Fairview Road to become six lanes once construction at West Georgia Road is completed.

• 4 weeks later...

On the way back into Downtown Greenville from Simpsonville on I-385 this afternoon, I noticed at the Hillside Drive Overpass a sign up on the hill on the right-hand side of the road. It said "Coming Soon: The Honorable Max Heller Gateway." So, it appears that this overpass is going to be turned into something...hopefully something very fancy :thumbsup:

Look for this sign the next time you drive through this area (but don't cause any accidents, please). ;)

Does anybody know what this "Gateway" in honor of Greenville's former mayor (from 1971 to 1979) will look like or include? Hopefully it will be something similar to the photos linked above from Post #12. I'll be going to O-Town for a couple of weeks soon, so I'll try to get better photos of this bridge from both sides, if I can.

Edit: Hillside Drive (I believe that's the name of it) is the overpass that crosses over I-385 just before you come to the Stone Avenue Exit and the bridge that crosses Laurens Road/Stone Avenue (when you're Northbound).

Hey, i'm new to this forum even though i have lived in greenville now for 17 years.

According to this website, http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2004/11/01/Vision2025.pdf, A billboard display will be put up at the intersection of I-85 at I-385 where it welcomes visitors to Greenville in 6 major languages. Also, flags of countries with local companies in the area are displayed at the intersection. :)

The mention in the Greenville News refers to landscaping.  Whatever they do, I'm sure it will be first-class. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw an illustration of the Max Heller Gateway Park at one time, I think it might be the newslwtter that the city sends out. I will look for it. It did look really nice and basically landscaping and walkways along Laurens Road where it interchanges with I-385. You can see the vacant land there now, but it still has the equipment and stuff from the highway crew.

Heller is well deserving and I hope that when the time comes, Knox White will his get his due from the city. Heller had the vision and got things started, but White is the one who is finishing much of it. I sure hope he runs for another term.

Anyone notice that a row of the newly planted median trees between Roper Mtn. Rd. and Haywood look dead?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Indeed. I've noticed it. Also, it looks as if they've all bee tagged with red tape/tags/etc., too - I presume that they've been marked for replacement? I've been wondering about this myself.

• 2 months later...

Hooray! :lol: That will make the drive-time into downtown shorter and easier. Does anyone know of any other interstate with a similar landscape design? This one should help raise the level of awareness that Greenville cares greatly about keeping itself beautiful for present and future generations. :thumbsup:

There was a little stretch of interstate in Asheville, don't remember which interstate though that had trees in the middle median like here, but it was only like for a mile and they were more spread out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know Interstate 26 westbound before Ashevilel has a tree lined median. I think Interstate 240 near Tunnel Road may have it also.

Archived