I-385

gs3

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some friends and I were just commenting today that its a shame the 385 bridges werent given a little more style. (Particularly the new bridge that leads right into downtown)

In Peoria, IL, they did something similar to what Greenville has seen happening--widening the main Interstate and replacing all the bridges that cross it. However, the bridge abuttments on the new Peoria bridges were all given an art-deco-ish look...very simple, but really looks nice. I wish the same had happened here.

• 4 weeks later...

Another Great View in the Area is seen when you Drive Haywood Rd. north from Pelham to East North St.

AMEN!!! I live right off of E. North at that end so I see that view almost everyday. I've always wished I could have a picture of it. My only complaint is that the powerlines get in the way. I wish they could have made them underground powerlines.

• 7 months later...

Noticed the last few days that along with the starting of the Max Heller Gateway, they are also in the process of the replacing the trees in the median of 385 that died in planting, and also in the process of starting the landscaping along both sides. :thumbsup: A couple of years for all the plantings to mature and the 385 drive into town will be a green parkway! :thumbsup:

I was going to take a pic on the way back home, but it was night time. :lol: What they have done so far is put bushes on the sides of the Hillside Drive bridge. According to the blue prints I have of the I-385 landscaping project, the Max Heller gateway will feature Japanese Cherry bushes with Parson Juniper's on the sides of the bridge. There will also be some Red Maple's, Compact Juniper's, Abelia, Brown Magnolia, Willow Oaks, and Eastern White Pines too. I'll try to scan the copy of my blueprints that I have of this area and put them on here later.

Here is the blueprint of the Max Heller gateway:

05-24-2006032541PM.jpg

(going down the page is heading north or west into downtown and going up the page is heading south or east towards I-85; the bridge heading over the interstate is Hillside Drive)

PY-Japanese Cherry

JDE-Parsons Juniper

HEM-Chicago Sunrise Daylily

AG-Abelia

MG-Bracken Brown Magnolia

PE-Fountain Grass

JCNC-Nick's Compact Juniper

PN-Austrian Pine

AR-October Glory Red Maple

QP-Willow Oak

LI-Crape Myrtle

BD-Butterfly Bush