Lyon at Ottawa Tower

Allan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at the very least, i think the vai will truly provide as an anchor for high-ed employment in the CITY for years to come.

there will be no worries of moving to the suburbs and so forth. i think the relative growth of GR's health sector is a show to what the VAI has helped grow so far... (ie, the Cook-Devos center on med-hill that has an incubator program for fledgling high-tech medical service companies.

• 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the city not strike down the Lyon and Ottawa building, because of street ordinances saying that ottawa, and lyon ave for that matter, were to narrow of streets to acomodate buildings of that hieght?

If this is the case, then the only suitable area for tall towers in Grand Rapids would be Calder Plaza and accross the street on Ottawa. It Makes me sad that the city planners back in the 50's and 60's were short sighted to build the boring, small buildings that stand there now. Anyone think we could convince 5/3rd to tear down the boring old, Old Kent Headquarters, and put something else there, hell even a modern glass building would have at least as much character as the one there now. Someone give me hope! I'd love to see this city transformed into a formidable world class city, or even one with national renown. But I can't help but think that the majority of the people in western Michigan are as boring and shortsighted as the buildings that now stand, they'll fight the inevitable change to the bitter end. Things like the historic preservation commision blocking the demolition of that crappy junior achievement building, and obstructing the Division and fulton condo project, leave me with little alternative but to be the pessimist.

MJLO,

We are not boring and shortsighted. :) Read the Metropolitan Center post for more information on what we're trying accomplish.

BTW: Welcome to the forum. Keep your chin up, cool things are happening.

Joe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did the city not strike down the Lyon and Ottawa building, because of street ordinances saying that ottawa, and lyon ave for that matter, were to narrow of streets to acomodate buildings of that hieght?

If this is the case, then the only suitable area for tall towers in Grand Rapids would be Calder Plaza and accross the street on Ottawa.  It Makes me sad that the city planners back in the 50's and 60's were short sighted to build the boring, small buildings that stand there now.  Anyone think we could convince 5/3rd to tear down the boring old, Old Kent Headquarters, and put something else there, hell even a modern glass building would have at least as much character as the one there now.  Someone give me hope!  I'd love to see this city transformed into a formidable world class city,  or even one with national renown.  But I can't help but think that the majority of the people in western Michigan are as boring and shortsighted as the buildings that now stand, they'll fight the inevitable change to the bitter end.  Things like the historic preservation commision blocking the demolition of that crappy junior achievement building, and obstructing the Division and fulton condo project, leave me with little alternative but to be the pessimist.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely! I don't think anyone on here is shortsighted at all. I do think that some of the leadership in this city, however, are obstructionists to growth, so much red tape to almost anything new and exciting. But I do see all the positive new thing going in downtown. I would love to see a building top 400 ft down there at somepoint.

Agreed MJLO. We're hoping to shake them up a little, move them out of their comfort zone, show them what Grand Rapids SHOULD be, and not settle for mediocrity. :) It's a revolution! (j/k).

Joe

Absolutely!  I don't think anyone on here is shortsighted at all.  I do think that some of the leadership in this city, however, are obstructionists to growth, so much red tape to almost anything new and exciting.    But I do see all the positive new thing going in downtown.  I would love to see a building top 400 ft down there at somepoint.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a good feeling that the new generation of leadership just mocing up has bigger and better plans than the older generation. Some of the quotes that came from the VAI expansion surprise tell me that some people are ready to push GR to a new level. One that it should already be at - and when the time comes, we will rapidly reach.

I expect a full decade boom downtown.

I hear you superNOVA. I was surprised at what Van Andel had to say to WOODTV 8 about the development bringing GR to the next level.

I think if the town just goes a little to the center we might see GR change in population and stautre amoung the national scene.

Archived