New Tallest in Florida

bic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its encouraging to see Miami concentrate development in its downtown area, and emphasize urban infill, but whats concerning about Miami, as well as the rest of South Florida is the sprawling build anywhere attitude, now the Florida Everglades are in trouble!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually the Everglades are not in any more trouble today than they were in the past. And in fact, the Kissimmee River, which runs from Lake Toho in Osceola County all the way to Lake Okechobee and the Everglades is being fully restored to its original path after it was straightened to a canal for farmland down there. The government is reclaiming ALL the farmland down there to fully restore the everglades. This is a project that is going to take about 20 years, but the effects are already visible. For instance, as far north as Kissimmee (lake toho), birds have returned that haven't been seen in those parts for 50 years. Its actually quite interesting and amazing to watch.

Everglades Restoration

Kissimmee River Restoration

^That's good news, indeed!

I agree, that because of Miami's boom, Ft. Laud and West Palm are booming too. We're kind of riding on the wings of Miami, lol.

I agree somewhat with Riverside's business cycle theory, about a slowdown in development. True, Miami's urban development will never stop, but perhaps at one point, we'll see less signature projects, like these ambitiously tall towers.

Miami's special circumstance is its location. It's built right on the Everglades, and has no room for expansion. While some cities still have plenty of room left for low-density sprawl, Miami's run out of room. So now, they're building up up up!

That development style, coupled with the increased demand for residential in South Florida (our weather/international trade/cruises/flights/latin connections makes us desirable) is what is causing this boom.

In a nutshell, less space + more people = dense urban development.

~Tyler, who's walking away from the lecture podium now.

A quick lesson in South Florida geography:

The urbanized area of South Florida lies on a narrow slab of land along the Atlantic coast. The western parts of the three major counties (Miami-Dade, Broward, and southern Palm Beach) are protected areas under watch by the South Florida Water Management District. The SFWMD is a state agency in charge of protecting the Everglades, maintaining thousands of miles of canals for flood control to the urbanized area, and making sure that both urbanized areas and the Everglades are supplied with enough water.

The first example I like to show is Broward County, which has been built out, i.e., its development has gone as far west as is legally possible and there are few open tracts of land that aren't already slated for development.

Broward County's 1.8 million people live within a 410 square-mile continuously-developed area along the coast. Development cannot occur west of the red line on this map. That's why so much South Florida development is being built vertically now. There are no towns west of US 27, and there is a small Miccosukee reservation at the extreme edge of west Broward along Collier County line, but most of it submerged. The red line actually represents several canals and levees that divide the urbanized area from the remaining Everglades. In west Broward, those remaining areas are called Water Conservation Areas.

browardeverglades4os.jpg

Much of Broward west of US 441 was built after 1992, when thousands of residents from South Dade whose homes were destroyed by Hurricane Andrew relocated to the brand new west Broward suburbs.

Miami-Dade County has a western edge as well. It is Krome Avenue, also known as NW/SW 177th Avenue. However, Dade also has something Broward does not, an Urban Development Boundary, which keeps development from spreading all the way to the edge of the Everglades. Miami-Dade's 2.3 million people live within the approximately 500 square miles of continuously developed area that lies within the UDB.

In this map, the blue line represents the dividing line between the urbanized area and the Everglades. The red line represents the Urban Development Boundary.

dadeglades1lc.jpg

This is South Florida as a whole. Only the white areas can be developed. The top left extreme of the map by Lake Okeechobee is the Everglades Agricultural Area, where much of the nation's winter fruit and vegetable supply comes from.

southfloridaglades2zu.jpg

Despite geographic constraints, South Florida continues to grow at phenomenal rates. As the population increases and the demand for housing and employment increases, there are few places left to go but up. Even the suburbs are seeing this as well. It used to be unheard of to see two-story houses in South Florida, but now they are being built everywhere.

Same theory, different economist.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I meant to say was that the Mises paper cited the same economist, Andrew Lawrence.

But if there's anything I learned from my economics professors, it's this:

Economists can't predict future behavior, and most of the time they are wrong. Too many variables and unpredictable human behavior. Real estate in particular is very localized.

Economists have forecasted 9 out of the last 5 recessions. :)

There are three types of economists in the world, those who can count and those who can't. :lol:

OK, I'm confused as to how Eeyore relates to economics and urban development....

~Tyler, just going with the flow...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. Eeyore was the pessimist. As regards the Florida boom, I'm more like that bouncy tiger. I think Florida's more like a bouncy tiger, that's all.

Thanks. Eeyore was the pessimist. As regards the Florida boom, I'm more like that bouncy tiger. I think Florida's more like a bouncy tiger, that's all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha..interesting. I think i'd like to be more like Gadget Hawkwrench from Rescue Rangers...the inventor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tigger5me.jpgThat's the spirit, Dale! That's what Tiggers do best... :)

(great cartoon btw, Prahaboheme, but that's a whole other thread)

Archived