Wishful thinking...

davidks1977

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imo, there's nothing wrong with the Bay Area.  All of Florida's major major metro areas are unique in their own way.

I think the point, these guys were trying to make is for Jax to look within it's self, take pride and strive to take adavantage of its location, diversity, history and potential, instead of worrying about how its neighbors develop and if it can compete with them.

Copying what Tampa, Miami and Orlando have done won't make this city great, one promoting and building upon its self will.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well stated Lakelander, well stated; and all of Florida's large cities do have their own identity, strengths and weaknesses. If you don't like Jax leave, or if you don't like Tampa leave, but stop ridiculing the cities of our State, this is Florida and we are one of the most populous and envious states in the nation!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Absolutely right Lakelander and FSO - IMO Jacksonville has yet to fully embrace one it's true identities - the River that runs through it. It is up and coming dont get me wrong, however, if we continue to let private businesses take the waterfront without providing some sort of public function/buffer then I will lose what little respect I have left for the DDA and DRC.

As far as the high rise - I don;t really care, I just want some good architecture for our city - some signature buildings - no more stucco, mediteranean, clay tile crap.

i275-

Honostly, I have no beef with Tampa what so ever, All I was trying to say was we dont want jax to look/feel like every other city in Fl and that we should create a city with its own image. Tampa has jsut as many pluses and minuses as Jax, Didn't mean to offend you... Just used Tampa as an example because we are so often compared to them.

Jacksonville is a great city. Some identity issues but great. However, I dont think comparing all the other cities in Florida as the same thing is fair. Miami is far and away a very unique city with a very strong identity. Orlando is a mecca for tourism and a cultural, education and economic hub of central florida. Tampa is a great city too with a few growing pains. All these cities are VERY diffrent from each other and should not be catagorized as just tourist cities. You make them seem so bland and blended. Furthermore after Sempteber 11th the only city in the U.S. not affected by the recession was Miami. International tourism and trade was what kept us recession free.

Bottom line is keeping each city with its indivdual identity is good for us ALL. It helps promote business in that when a business is looking to move they wont say "ah Tampa its just another Florida city." Instead they will say "AH! TAMPA! a great place to have a business."

Finally, the fact that Miami is getting a 1000 footer well create a sense of empowerment for Florida which we will all benefit from.

THE END lol

^We all know they're diversified areas...Miami with International Trade & Banking, Orlando with Distribution and High Tech and Tampa with the state's largest port and high tech manufacturing in Pinellas.

However, what sets Jax apart from the others is there's virtually NO tourism base, while the tourism industry is still a pretty big economic engine for the others. While they are all unique in their own ways, this is an area that sets Jax apart from the others and is something Jax should promote to help establish a stronger identity for itself.

Jax will not be the premeire city of the south until they get some mass transit and density developed. BRT isn't going to cut it.

That goes for Tampa and Orlando too.

Miami's metrorail was built 20 years ago and is just now finally coming into it's own and starting to make a difference.

Jax will not be the premeire city of the south until they get some mass transit and density developed.  BRT isn't going to cut it.

Miami's metrorail was built 20 years ago and is just now finally coming into it's own and starting to make a difference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Metrorail wouldn't be metrorail without the people to ride it; and the people won't ride it if there isn't anything to draw them to that city and metro area where they have to ride it. You've got to get the people into the city and then build the amenities based on the people diversity factor and population.

I think one of Jacksonville's problems is that there hasn't been people, and the right flux of businesses and industry rooted into the city, until just about now, to justify building anything on a large scale such as more skyscrapers, mass public transit, etc.

Unfortunately, as many of us have said, Jax is not a tourist city. And yes, all Florida cities are different and have their own unique "niche" and identity so to speak. However, Jax is strong in its military base, business base, and the friendliness of the people that live in such a large city.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Jax will not be the premeire city of the south until they get some mass transit and density developed.  BRT isn't going to cut it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This "premeire city of the south" stuff sounds rediculous.

Imo, the city's focus, should be to establish an identity for itself, as well as revitalizing the inner city and downtown.

Lets remember that metro Jax only has 1.2 million residents. It would be foolish for any US city this size to waste billions of dollars on a heavy rail system, such as metrorail. Although I question the routes selected, I believe JTA's current plan buying right of way for light rail and using it, in the short term, for BRT, is the right thing to do.

Archived